Gay Public Displays of Affection

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=29645

This is a neat little video discussing the disparities involved when couples engage in public displays of affections, versus gay couples doing so. For those of you who can't see the video, it's shot in the US. The gay men holding hands and kissing occasionally even prompted a phone call to 911, and the dispatching of a police officer to tell them to take it indoors. Women doing the same on the other hand prompted men to stand and stare, and even introduce themselves.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Displays of affection? Some would call it a prelude to sex. Get a room or take it home, gay or straight.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
Displays of affection? Some would call it a prelude to sex. Get a room or take it home, gay or straight.
Prelude to sex? come on....I kiss my man, hug him and flirt with him in public.....we save the heavy petting for behind doors as everyone should....in the video neither gay couple crossed the line of heavy petting....I think Love should be diplayed, it is better than the violence they show on TV!
What prudes some of you are!

Reactions: karrie

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The couple in the restaurant were putting on more of a show than the two gay men, I've shown that sort of affection before with my wife and it's perfectly acceptable but the two in the restaurant is not.

Amazing to me how ignorant people still are but not surprising.

The double standard of gay women is typical.

The woman at the end says it all.

"Love is good wherever you find it".

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's refreshingly surprising, that most were fine with it.

Hetero or homo there should be limits to any "couples" behaviour in public. The restaurant couple were a little over the top for me. I think that was intrusive. If I'm there to relax and eat I don't want to watch a tongue exchange. And I would be forced to do so simply because I would be a paying customer there to receive a service. No escape.

In the park, people were merely passing by and thus were not a captive audience.

So time and place would definitely affect my attitude not the sex of the couple.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ah, a very interesting point Sal. I felt too that the hetero couple were way worse, and the gay couples were being pretty mellow and didn't deserve the attention they were getting.

And for any guy considering acting like a moron as those who approached the lesbians did... no, that's not any less discriminatory. If you wouldn't approach a couple making out and essentially ask to get to know them based on some hint of their sex life, then don't do it to lesbians either. They're not there for your amusement of to fulfill your fantasies.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And for any guy considering acting like a moron as those who approached the lesbians did... no, that's not any less discriminatory. If you wouldn't approach a couple making out and essentially ask to get to know them based on some hint of their sex life, then don't do it to lesbians either. They're not there for your amusement of to fulfill your fantasies.
Okay I have a question sparked by your last sentence.

If one displays such public behaviour, is it a problem if they are fulfilling my fantasies? And if it does is it really all that rude to approach said couple and press or push for more outlandish behaviour?

Because once you begin to think about it........it's public...... already shared..... does it not then welcome any and all reaction if they are within reason? What are the limits?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay I have a question sparked by your last sentence.

If one displays such public behaviour, is it a problem if they are fulfilling my fantasies? And if it does is it really all that rude to approach said couple and press or push for more outlandish behaviour?

Because once you begin to think about it........it's public...... already shared..... does it not then welcome any and all reaction if they are within reason? What are the limits?

:smile: I don't know Sal. The couple in the restaurant, well, frankly, that extreme of behavior I would assume they're looking for an invitation of some sort. lol.

But the lesbian couple, their behavior was not something that I would even classify as 'sexual', so, pushing for something sexual out of it would seem harassment to me.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
:smile: I don't know Sal. The couple in the restaurant, well, frankly, that extreme of behavior I would assume they're looking for an invitation of some sort. lol.
I would expect any restaurant in which I would be eating, to correct that type of behaviour or get me drunk for free....

But the lesbian couple, their behavior was not something that I would even classify as 'sexual', so, pushing for something sexual out of it would seem harassment to me.
Okay, fair enough....good point.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Prelude to sex? come on....I kiss my man, hug him and flirt with him in public.....we save the heavy petting for behind doors as everyone should....in the video neither gay couple crossed the line of heavy petting....I think Love should be diplayed, it is better than the violence they show on TV!
What prudes some of you are!

My wife and I will often kiss in public but we don't crawl all over each other exchanging tongues in public. As you say, save that for the bedroom. It's not prudish, it is common sense.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and the only ones "crawling all over each other" was the hetro couple in the restaurant. Yet they were the ones that were recieved the best...... unlike the gay couple on the bench.... who ever called the cops needs an eye-rectomy.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My wife and I will often kiss in public but we don't crawl all over each other exchanging tongues in public. As you say, save that for the bedroom. It's not prudish, it is common sense.

re-watch it juan. The two men were sitting around visiting and reading. No tongues. A few pecks here and there, an arm wrapped around, comfy. Nothing 'bedroomy' about most of their time on that bench. Same with much of the women's. It was only the hetero couple who took it to the extreme of being tongue locked.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
lol... I live with a lesbian couple and my gay brother... I get my share of ''public display of affection''... It's all fine with me.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

Is your concern with demonstrations of affection in public that that behavior might influence the same weak-minded people who have been preyed upon by mortgage companies? Is the issue that you're uncomfortable with this behavior and feel there's a "right" and "wrong" to it?

I suppose I don't understand why it's an issue...?

Who's mind puts the "bedroom-foreplay-sexuality-display" conotation on these people's behaviors? Is it the loss of appetite you regret or is it perhaps that displays of affection immediately bring the thoughts and possibly repulsion at the thought of sexual intercourse or sexual contact? Are you conditioned to draw one standard for this kind of behavior but another when people are happy to pay money to watch people brutalize each other?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think you need to re-read the thread Mikey. I have no issue with public displays of affection. It was just an interesting look at the differences in reaction.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I think that public displays of affection of any kind are wrong. And I don't think that people do it because they love each other so much. Wanting to show affection in public has got nothing to do with affection as such, it's got other reasons. Flaunting such behavior is certain to attract the kind of attention you don't want, be you a gay, lesbian, or a heterosexual couple. Some people will react in a ribald way, some might feel envy, causing them to be rude. Frankly, if you do it, and if you encounter this kind of reaction, it's because you were asking for it, and you've got no one to blame other than yourself.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
They should try doing their experiment in any Muslim country and see what happens.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

That's what I asked about wasn't it? I'm indifferent to your personal "take" on the issue, but very interested in why people "think" or "react" the way they do. Not jumping on your case Karrie, but interested in why...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You know I love how Muslims are now the prime examples of intollerance..... it wasn't even 100 years ago that our own societies we're stuck up and freaked over women exposing their ankles at the beach and had to dress up like Ronald MacDonald.... you couldn't have two different races marry, and people who were gay? Oh yes.... we're so much better then Muslims..... geez people if anything we're ahead of them by perhaps a decade or two with mentality towards intollerance, that's not that much to be bragging about.

Oh and perhaps if our own societies would get rid of their own existing intollerances first, perhaps other societies might take us seriously when we start pointing our fingers at their own.