Canadian Olympic gear made in China, ......

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Canadian Olympic gear made in China, MPs cry foul
Federal Opposition members are questioning why the Canadian Olympic team's uniforms and gear are being made mostly in China -- especially during a time when Canada's textile industry is struggling.

The teams' official supplier, the Hudson's Bay Company, on Wednesday unveiled the designer duds to be worn by Canada's athletes during this summer's Olympic Games in Beijing. About 80 per cent of the uniforms will be made in China, and that number goes up to 90 per cent for Olympic wear sold to the public.
Critics say Canadian athletes should wear clothing manufactured strictly in Canada.
"This is a no-brainer," said New Democrat MP Paul Dewar on Friday.
"This is our Olympic team. We should be ensuring that all of our Olympic athletes are proudly wearing Canadian-made textiles and all of their uniforms should be made in Canada."
Liberal MP Denis Coderre said Canada is missing a "tremendous opportunity" to promote this country's textile industry on the world stage -- and called it an "unacceptable" snub considering the industry's struggles.

Read full article here: http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc...iticism_080502
---------------------------------------------
"Made in Canada" is probably too pricey?
Or because China is the host country, and we want to be nice to them?
Or we've bought last time in China and were satisfied.... why change?

What do you think?
I think they should shut up about it for now. It is too late, and changing now is an insult to China! But next time they definitely should buy from a Canadian manufacturer and.....pay double the price, since we don't have the benefit of child slave-labor!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Firstly, I think the outfits are ugly as hell; The Roots era outfits were really cool and made in Canada.. and the last Olympic stuff from The Bay was really cheap and logos peeled off after the first wash. I don't know why Canadians are wearing foreign-made outfits with a foreign theme.

With the childrens toys coming from China containing lead and other poisonus substances, I'd wonder if the clothing didn't contain something detrimental to our athletes.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Firstly, I think the outfits are ugly as hell; The Roots era outfits were really cool and made in Canada.. and the last Olympic stuff from The Bay was really cheap and logos peeled off after the first wash. I don't know why Canadians are wearing foreign-made outfits with a foreign theme.

With the children's toys coming from China containing lead and other poisonous substances, I'd wonder if the clothing didn't contain something detrimental to our athletes.
Hi, Chris;
I, too, liked the smart berets from Roots, looked sharp and sporty. I haven't seen the new clothes from China yet.
Why do we buy from a foreign country? Good question! It is the Hudsons Bay Company that made that choice for the sole purpose of maximizing profits, I guess. What else could motivate them to take their business out of the country? We live in a free society, they can choose from whom to buy.

Here is an article from CBC Sports that tells us a little more:

Olympic officials have chosen Hudson 's Bay Co. to outfit Canada's Olympic team for the next four Olympic Games, ending the recent domination by that other well-known Olympic clothier, Roots.

The agreement between the Vancouver Organizing Committee and the Hudson 's Bay Co. is worth more than $100 million. Representatives from the organizing committee and the Canadian Olympic Committee reviewed submissions from 12 companies, including Roots, that responded to a request for proposals.

Hudson's Bay Co. outfitted all of Canada's Winter Olympic teams from 1936 to 1968. But recently, Roots has been given that honour. Roots outfitted Team Canada at the Olympics in 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2004 and made millions marketing its popular Olympic clothing lines to the public.

The Hbc contract has the potential for Canadian Olympic organizations to make "significantly more money" than any previous deal, according to Dave Cobb, senior vice president of revenue, marketing and communications at the Vancouver Organizing Committee.

Hbc said it will provide coats, jackets, sweaters, shirts, pants, shoes, toques, scarves and gloves for the 2006 team, as well as luggage. The company said it will consult with "world-class design partners" as well as the athletes.

Hbc will also outfit volunteers for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Vancouver. As of November, more than 500 Bay, Zellers, Home Outfitters, Designer Depot and Fields stores across Canada will have "Olympic Shops" to exclusively sell Olympic-related clothing and luggage products in Canada. The partnership agreement runs until the end of 2012.
http://www.cscontario.ca/web_page/news.php?id=dft820
-----------------------------------------------
So, we can't blame the Harper government this time!! Darn it!!!:lol: