US storm over book on Israel lobby

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
US storm over book on Israel lobby
The power of America's "Jewish lobby" is said to be legendary.

Commentators the world over refer to it, as though it were a well-established fact that US Jews wield far more influence than their numbers (2% of the population) would suggest.
Two US academics, John Mearsheimer of the University of Chicago and Stephen Walt of Harvard, have set out to answer those questions, and triggered a firestorm of controversy as a result. Their book The Israel Lobby and US Foreign Policy, which builds on a 2006 article in the London Review of Books, says the reasons for US support for Israel need to be explained.
America spends $3bn a year in largely military assistance - one-sixth of its direct aid budget - to help a prosperous, nuclear-armed country, and strongly backs Israel in negotiations on Middle East peace.
They reject the argument that Israel is a key ally in America's "war on terror".
On the contrary, they contend, US patronage of Israel fuels militant anger - as well as fostering resentment in Arab countries that control vital oil supplies.
The authors also reject the common view of Israel as a democratic outpost that needs protection from deadly enemies.
It is indeed a vibrant democracy, they say, but also a regional giant ready to use its considerable firepower against civilians.
Whose interests do US soldiers in Iraq defend?

If both these arguments are weak, they say, the real reason behind US support for Israel is domestic - the activities of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (Aipac), the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), and like-minded groups and think tanks.

The book analyzes the lobby's sources of influence - notably its financial muscle and the reluctance of critics to speak out.

Please, read full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7104030.stm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think the authors would purposely make false or malicious statements. In my opinion the Israel Lobby should welcome such books to allow their dealings, their ambitions to be aired in the American public. After all, it's the ordinary Americans who foot the bill to keep Israel safe and comfortable.
Sounds like an interesting book worth reading.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Interesting... while the Jewish population in the USA is 1.8% the Muslim population is 0.6% but in the period between 1990 and 2001 the Muslim community increased 109.5% while the Jewish population fell 8.1% Source

I think the Jewish lobby days are numbered.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
that "source" appears a bit flawed and includes notes which request proofs that do not appear on it

suffice it to say, however, that it is money not population that controls every thing in the USA

therefore, the Amen Corner is gonna be around for a LONG time

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Interesting... while the Jewish population in the USA is 1.8% the Muslim population is 0.6% but in the period between 1990 and 2001 the Muslim community increased 109.5% while the Jewish population fell 8.1% Source

I think the Jewish lobby days are numbered.

God help us all............ :)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
God help us all............ :)

I don't have any love for religion and the thought of so many Muslims in North America is disturbing to me. My only solace is that atheism grew by 105.7% in the same period and they account for 15% of the population in the US but in Canada they hold 16.5% of the population (I knew Canadians were smarter) where Jews occupy 1.1%, and Muslims 2%.

Now if only something could be done about those damn Christians!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't have any love for religion and the thought of so many Muslims in North America is disturbing to me. My only solace is that atheism grew by 105.7% in the same period and they account for 15% of the population in the US but in Canada they hold 16.5% of the population (I knew Canadians were smarter) where Jews occupy 1.1%, and Muslims 2%.

Now if only something could be done about those damn Christians!

Good luck "doing something" about those Christians........

Praise The Lord, and Pass the Ammunition!

:)

(Bet he thinks I'm kidding)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I thought I posted this article a while back, but now looking through my threads quickly, I think that was in the previous forums I went to.

Here's what I said in the other forum:

The main point I found interesting wasn't in regards to anti-semitism, or if talk should be open more about it... which are all still good points to debate...

... but the thing that caught my eye was that these Israel Lobbiests have more influence on what goes on in the US then the US people themselves. To me, something's up in that department, considdering they only represent 2% of the population..

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Once again the myth of government representing"the people"....governments represent their own interests and if a Rabbi or a Reverand a Minister or a Mullah promises to deliver votes so these politicians can continue to slop at the trough...well all bets are off. When a segment of the population controls millions in revenues (media and Hollywood come to mind) the "equality" of lobbyists and Mr. and Mrs. Joe and Jane Average America...don't amount to a hill of beans.

Why doesn't some politician in the United States provide a chart comparing the money given to Israel for aid to the money stripped out of the budget to fight this war on terrorism (proxy Israeli machinations) compared to how much "relief" Americans get when catastrophies occur (Katrina, California fires, bridge collapse..etc. etc.) and inform Americans about where their money and their futures are going?

Because the wealthy like things just the way they are and that includes "feeling-good" about supporting Israli interests ahead of Americans interests.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Nothing is said by the great unwashed because to protest that cash siphon is to be labelled as a Jew-hater or anti-semetic or an enemy of the state or a supporter of terrorism. Get rid of the lobby, cut off the allowance - and the US economy will flourish.

Woof!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
A better way to dispose of the lawyers and the rich would be to assemble them in one big camp/prison and watch them form cartels, pyramid schemes, reinvent taxes and compound interest and religion. What a chance to study the various psycological diseases that form the basis of western civilization and prevent it's recurrance firstly by natural extermination of the carriers and secondly firm conclusive scientific proof and documentation of greed an evil.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nothing is said by the great unwashed because to protest that cash siphon is to be labeled as a Jew-hater or anti-semitic or an enemy of the state or a supporter of terrorism. Get rid of the lobby, cut off the allowance - and the US economy will flourish.

Woof!
Hi, Wolf;
remember Jimmy Carter's book about Israel having an apartheid rule for the Palestinians? How he got flak? I just wanted to check, if he was really labeled an anti-semitic. I found the latest hate tirade against him today, May 2nd, 2008!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23630265-7583,00.html

The way he is publicly derided is embarrassing!

I googled for info about the author and found the proof is in the pudding:
Bernard-Henri Lévy was born to a Jewish family in Béni-Saf, Algeria on 5 November 1948. His family moved to Paris a few months after his birth. His father, André Lévy, was the multi-millionaire founder and manager of a timber company, Becob."

Is there still room in the bush up north? I think I will retire from active politics!!:x:x

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Good luck "doing something" about those Christians........

Praise The Lord, and Pass the Ammunition!

:)

(Bet he thinks I'm kidding)

I know your not.

I'm well aware of what "turn the other cheek" and "love thy neighbor" really means. :-?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hi, Wolf;
remember Jimmy Carter's book about Israel having an apartheid rule for the Palestinians? How he got flak? I just wanted to check, if he was really labeled an anti-semitic. I found the latest hate tirade against him today, May 2nd, 2008!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23630265-7583,00.html

The way he is publicly derided is embarrassing!

I googled for info about the author and found the proof is in the pudding:
Bernard-Henri Lévy was born to a Jewish family in Béni-Saf, Algeria on 5 November 1948. His family moved to Paris a few months after his birth. His father, André Lévy, was the multi-millionaire founder and manager of a timber company, Becob."

Is there still room in the bush up north? I think I will retire from active politics!!:x:x

The bush is a big place....

Woof!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Now wanna see something really powerful about lobbies?

If you bank it on the basis of religion not ideology (The "jewish lobby" as one homogenous group)

Look at how much HIGHER of a percentage of foreign aid goes to Muslim nations that AREN'T democratic despite muslims being a smaller minority in the US.

*As a note, im not actually stupid enough to think all those lobby groups want the same thing just because the money goes to a nation with a majority muslim nation, im just showing how easy it is to make patterns where there are none

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I know your not.

I'm well aware of what "turn the other cheek" and "love thy neighbor" really means. :-?

It means exactly what it says.........it does not mean offer yourself up to be killed.

It means take abuse, respect others, never initiate violence..........unless it is in defense of yourself or others.