Gay bar settles human rights complaint with woman

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080429/gay_bar_080429/20080429?hub=Canada

MONTREAL -- A Montreal gay bar that caters to male clients has settled a discrimination complaint with a woman who was thrown out of the premises.

Bar Le Stud and Audrey Vachon, the 21-year-old woman who launched the complaint, agreed to keep the terms of the settlement confidential.

Quebec's human rights commission says businesses have the right to attract a particular clientele but not to discriminate by excluding other customers.

Vachon sat down at the bar with her father for an afternoon beer a year ago when staff told them women were not allowed.

Le Stud owner Michel Gadoury said at the time women had been banned most nights since the bar opened 11 years ago.

I remember reading about this when it first came out, and here's the conclusion I guess.

Interesting they can exclude everybody from their little bar who are not "gay males." Apparently even women who are gay are not even allowed in.

Hmmmm.... so does this mean straight men can have their clubs again where no women are allowed in, and they can exclude males who are gay too? I mean, it would only be fair..... women already have exercise clubs and such that don't allow men to come in or they will certainly give you dirty looks (Went to pick up an ex at one.... holy hell, talk about a pile of bitches... like I actually did anything except walk in and walk out.)

So which is it going to be?

Every group and gender can have their own isolated clubs away from all the other undesireables or shall we keep it all pollitically correct that it makes us bleed from the ears and make sure no clubs or bars, etc. can discriminate based on gender or sexual preference?

It's also interesting that during all this equality crap that's been going on over the last couple of decades, everybody who is not a straight white male have all their little clubs and organizations specific to their special little needs, while straight white males are pretty well still classified as neo-nazi scum bag trailer trash arseholes who will try and oppress the planet again if we're given equal rights to any other gender or race/sexual preference.

Replace the above mentioned gay bar with a sports bar of some kind and replace the woman with some gay guy...... now put into play a similar situation where the gay guy is thrown out because he's a gay guy and gay guys are not allowed in...... tell me how this looks.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Replace the above mentioned gay bar with a sports bar of some kind and replace the woman with some gay guy...... now put into play a similar situation where the gay guy is thrown out because he's a gay guy and gay guys are not allowed in...... tell me how this looks.

There would be such a $hit storm about that scenario we could hear it on the west coast without our speakers.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
that's simple enough to get around by going to a 'private club' status with membership fees if the bar so sees fit. I don't see why it would stress though. What's a few women? Big whoop? Most of my gay friends don't go out to the bar without their girlfriends in tow anyhow.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
One thing I found odd about this was that she was there with her father, whom I am assuming is now or always was gay. If you are a friend or a family member of a regular customer to the bar, and it's not a membership only-type of thing, then why would they make such a damn big stink over her there, being a paying customer and what not?

What, was she out-gaying them or something and they were getting insecure? Were they fearful that she might start making fun of people there, or was her very presence already making them uncomfortible at the thought that someone different from them was within their view or ear shot?

If you can't see where I'm going with this, the gay community in general speaking, is always fighting for acceptance, tollerance, acknowlegement of their identity, equality, etc.... From what I have gathered over the years, most want to be just accepted as part of the community and culture of Canada and have all the same rights and such as anybody else...... to be treated normally if you will.

Yet they will try and restrict who can come into their clubs, their bars/establishments, they continue to try and get the gay pride flag put up along with the country/proviencial flags at city/town hall and cry discrimination when they don't get it put up, they have giant parades kicking around and shouting at the top of their voices that they're here, they're queer and for us all to get used to it.......

..... but the moment one person cracks a joke, or makes a smirky comment, or makes them feel uncomfortable just by sitting near or around them, they're bigots, or ignorant, trying to discriminate against them, to make them feel like 2nd class citizens or whatever lame excuse can be made. They'll ban an entire society from their bars/pubs except those who are "Gay Males" because they're afraid of someone coming in and making them feel uncomfortable...... where's the tollerance and equality there?

Do you think I get the opportunity to kick and ban people from the places I go downtown just because they might call me a name, or make fun of me coming from an Irish herritage, or whatever else might make me feel uncomfortable?

That's life, get the hell over it princesses. You want equality and acceptance in society? Then take all the good and all the bad that comes with it and stop your damn bickering.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Just call them fags, it's never stopped you before bigot.

Or perhaps you're a cowardly bigot....most bigots are.

How does 'bloody bundles of sticks' associate with being a bigot?:?:

I have never heard that term before, so that is why I am asking.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
shadowshiv said:
How does 'bloody bundles of sticks' associate with being a bigot?:?:

I have never heard that term before, so that is why I am asking.

A bundle of kindling used for starting fires are called faggots.

Walter is saying that all gays should be put the fire just like Hitler did. Had he said it about any ethnic group he would have been banned from this forum.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Walter is saying that all gays should be put the fire just like Hitler did. Had he said it about any ethnic group he would have been banned from this forum.

Thanks Gopher.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I would agree with your assessment if it weren't for the fact that I've heard Walter use the same term before to denote 'a lot of nonsense over nothing', with threads that had nothing to do with homosexuals.

Sometimes we're completely unaware of the deeper meanings or ramifications of the terms we're using.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"'a lot of nonsense over nothing'"

When homosexuals were being thrown to the fire during the middle ages thereby creating that term, it was not viewed as nonsense.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Man Drops Complaint Against Curves

Here's a spinoff to this thread ...

Montreal Man Drops Complaint Against Curves

Man drops complaint against Curves

Irwin Block, Montreal Gazette

Published: Tuesday, May 13

A Montreal man has withdrawn a human-rights complaint against Curves, a chain of women-only fitness centres.

Rick Matthews has informed the Quebec Human Rights Commission he will not pursue his allegation that Curves' focus on female clients discriminates against men, commission spokesperson Robert Sylvestre said yesterday.

Matthews took the action after a woman filed a complaint against Le Stud, a bar in the gay village, after she was refused service.

Matthews declined to be interviewed, but said in a letter to The Gazette that he still believes in the merits of his case, but understands other issues are involved.
"I also recognize that Curves ... offers a safe environment for its patrons and I appreciate the unique space which it set out to create," he wrote.

In its ruling on Le Stud, the commission said that while a bar is not necessarily welcoming to women, it can't deny them admission as it did with complainant Audrey Vachon of Longueuil.

Matthews wrote that while the Quebec charter means anyone can attend a gay or lesbian bar or women-focused gym, "I firmly believe in the notion of 'silent respect.'
"These two words speak for themselves and there is no need to amplify further."

When he filed his complaint, Matthews said he hoped to make the point that if women demand access to men-only bars the same right can be demanded of women-only health clubs.

Le Stud, at Ste. Catherine St. E. and Papineau Ave., settled with Vachon after she was asked to leave the establishment.

The commission helped mediate a settlement but declined to provide details.

Sigh ... I guess when you've got lots of free time on your hands ...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Hey I went with my ex one time to curves, and I was just sitting on a chair right by the entranceway waiting for her to check things out and perhaps sign up, not even looking at anybody in there (Like I could care) and I couldn't believe the fk'n dirty looks they were giving me, just for existing in that spot in time.... like I was about to start grabbing their vaginas and drolling at the mouth or something.... it was fk'n retarded.... ugly old bags, nobody would have wanted to look at them anyways, and to give me the attitude that I was like some child predetor in their pressence was just pathetic.

I certainly don't treat people any differently because of their gender, religion or sexual preference, but when others treat me differently because of those things.... buddy look out, cuz you're in for a very embarassing scene for yourself and your company..... and trust me, I ain't got any shame left in my body from high school, I don't care who I take down with me in character.

Curves has got to be probably one of the biggests sexist companies I've come across so far.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
..and I couldn't believe the fk'n dirty looks they were giving me, just for existing in that spot in time.... like I was about to start grabbing their vaginas and drolling at the mouth or something....

lol.... these gyms weren't started because the women who go there think the men will drool over them or maul them. These gyms were started because these women think that men will think...." ugly old bags, nobody would have wanted to look at them anyways."

I wish sometimes that men could see some of the mockery out of shape women get in a traditional gym. Some of the rude **** that gets yelled at fat women who have the nerve to try to get out walking for their health. It would probably be enough to make you feel like crawling into a private gym too Prax, where you don't feel mocked.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's all about body image and most of the women are insecure about their bodies,so it makes good sense to have women only health and exercise clubs:smile:some of my relatives frequent Curves and love the place.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
A better option is why are women so self-concious about their bodies. Men (as a general rule) aren't to anywhere near the same degree. Again I realise this is broad generalizations, I've met my share of women who don't give a damn (Good for them) and men who care entirely too much.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A better option is why are women so self-concious about their bodies. Men (as a general rule) aren't to anywhere near the same degree. Again I realise this is broad generalizations, I've met my share of women who don't give a damn (Good for them) and men who care entirely too much.

I think it's awesome when women don't care. But, the ones who do are often so crippled by self consciousness that they don't dare go out and do anything that might earn them mockery. I'm one of them. My mom is one of them. It's hit the point that my mom won't walk without a man, because she's been yelled at twice this year, to 'get her fat ass out of public'. So tell me that woman doesn't deserve a gym where she can work out without some jackass passing judgement on her worthiness to be seen?