Sperm donor liable for child support

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We had an April Fools joke about this, but it appears to be a reality in this news story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271116,00.html

HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania — A sperm donor who helped a lesbian couple conceive two children is liable for child support under a state appellate court ruling that a legal expert believes might be the first of its kind in the U.S.

A Superior Court panel last week ordered a Dauphin County judge to establish how much Carl L. Frampton Jr. would have to pay to the birth mother of the 8-year-old boy and 7-year-old girl.

"I'm unaware of any other state appellate court that has found that a child has, simultaneously, three adults who are financially obligated to the child's support and are also entitled to visitation," said New York Law School professor Arthur S. Leonard, an expert on sexuality and the law.

But Frampton, 60, of Indiana, Pennsylvania, died suddenly of a stroke in March, leaving lawyers involved in the case with different theories about how his death may affect the precedent-setting case.

Jodilynn Jacob, 33, and Jennifer Lee Shultz-Jacob, 48, moved in together as a couple in 1996, and were granted a civil-union license in Vermont in 2002. In addition to conceiving the two children with the help of Frampton — a longtime friend of Shultz-Jacob's — Jacob also adopted her brother's two older children, now 12 and 13

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
What the hell? Isn't a Donor supposed to be a firggin donor? Someone wants/needs something medically, someone donates that thing needed.... done.

If some stupid twit can't get pregnant the old fashion way because of their sexual preference or their own choice that they require a sperm donor, then they shouldn't have any rights trying to dig into that donor's pockets for child support.

What the hell happens if I donate a kidney to someone, only for my kidney to start failing a year afterwards in the person? Am I supposed to get sued because the kidney didn't work for them? Am I supposed to pay them compensation for pain and suffering if they start getting kidney stones? What the hell about my own damn suffering of having removed one of my own kidneys just to save the life of some other poor schmuck who probably didn't even bother to take proper care of themselves?

FFS people, you got eactly what you asked for and people still want to dig for more money and more out of the person who decided to help you out.

Ungreatful people like that ought to be taken out on the street and shot.

Of course then again, maybe she has some hate-on for men and figured all we're good for are babies and money, so she got the baby, might as well get the money out of him too.....

makes me sick.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Praxius, there are two key things at play here.

1. She was inseminated at home. No clinic or, from the sounds of it even lawyers involved, which means that he wasn't a 'donor', he was a mate.

2. He was involved in their lives and they called him 'Papa'. He had visitation rights. He was a parent involved in their life. With that comes responsibilities.

His is definitely not a cut and dry case of sperm donation being abused.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

1. She was inseminated at home. No clinic or, from the sounds of it even lawyers involved, which means that he wasn't a 'donor', he was a mate.

2. He was involved in their lives and they called him 'Papa'. He had visitation rights. He was a parent involved in their life. With that comes responsibilities.

Yes, Karrie, I totally agree with you, he was part of the family.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

I stand corrected, I was rushing too much today to actually read the direct link on the article, but only read what was posted in #1 & thread title and base my views on that.

If he was getting involved in the situation, then he leaves himself open. I was under the impression this was a typical donor thing.