75-year-old convicted of murder in hit-run case

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Jurors say they are deadlocked on two charges against Olga Rutterschmidt, 75.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/17/homeless.hit.run.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A 75-year-old woman was convicted Thursday of murdering a homeless man to collect life insurance, but the jury said it was deadlocked on another murder charge and a conspiracy count.

The judge ordered more deliberations in an effort to conclude a trial that has spun a bizarre tale of a murder-for-profit scheme carried out by two elderly women.

Olga Rutterschmidt was convicted of the first-degree murder of Kenneth McDavid, 50, a day after she was found guilty of conspiring to murder him for financial gain. Her 77-year-old co-defendant, Helen Golay, was convicted Wednesday of murdering McDavid and Paul Vados, 73, and on counts of conspiracy in both killings.

Without saying which way it was leaning, the jury said it was deadlocked 11-1 on the charge that Rutterschmidt murdered Vados and 10-2 on conspiracy to murder him for financial gain.

Superior Court Judge David Wesley ordered jurors to return Monday to try to decide the remaining counts. Those deliberations will have to start from scratch because the judge replaced a juror who told the court he had preplanned travel and could not serve any longer.

The verdicts so far carry life prison terms without possibility of parole for both women. Prosecutors chose not to seek the death penalty.

Thursday's verdict came after the jury heard a second round of closing arguments it requested in an effort to decide the last three counts against Rutterschmidt.

Deputy District Attorney Truc Do told jurors Rutterschmidt was far from being Golay's pawn.

She was "fully capable of heading this scheme on her own," Do said. "... Golay is not the mastermind of this scheme. They are 50-50 partners."

Rutterschmidt's attorney Michael Sklar argued that prosecutors had not proven Rutterschmidt had the specific intent to murder anyone.

"What we know is that by Ms. Rutterschmidt's actions, she entered a conspiracy to commit insurance fraud," he said. "On what do the people rely to say it went further than that? They rely on Helen Golay's actions."

Idiot... Conspiracy to Commit Insurance Fraud by running over some homeless guy with their car. If she didn't clue in that the guy would most likely die from being crushed by a vehicle, then wtf is she doing behind a wheel to begin with? Pop one in her head and get it over with. What a lame excuse.

He suggested that Rutterschmidt can't be convicted judging by the acts of her co-defendant alone.

Do said jurors should not believe the defense contention that Rutterschmidt paid rent and bought food for Vados and McDavid because she cared for them.

In the case of Vados, who died in 1999, Rutterschmidt told others she was his daughter or his cousin and noted that both were refugees from Hungary. But Do said it was all a ruse, as were her tears when Vados died.

"Is she capable of feigning grief and hurt?" the prosecutor asked. "Of course she is."
Vados and McDavid were run over by cars in dark alleys, incidents that authorities said were staged to look like hit-and-run accidents. The women collected $2.8 million on insurance policies they bought for the men.

Therefore, how the hell would she be ignorant of their possible deaths, if she and the other one planned on "Killing" them to get the insurance from them? If they were not planning on running them over and killing them, then they wouldn't be able to commit fraud now would they? Therefore Both are one in the same, they committed 1st degree murder at the same time committing fraud.

They were arrested in 2005 after an investigation into McDavid's death earlier that year led to a link with the then-unsolved Vados killing.

Do portrayed Rutterschmidt as a coldhearted killer who bought a car to use as a murder weapon, kept it in waiting for a year and a half and all the while kept visiting McDavid.

"She looked this man in the eye and knew she was going to kill him to collect $3.7 million," said Do. "She not only knew she was going to kill him but she knew exactly how."

Do told jurors that by convicting Rutterschmidt of conspiracy in McDavid's killing they had already accepted that she was a murderer. The prosecutor played for the panel again an excerpt from a surreptitiously videotaped conversation between the women in a jail lockup after their arrest.

She noted that Rutterschmidt was talking then about how she planned to set up a business in Canada and told Golay it would be "the same thing."

"She's talking about murder to collect life insurance benefits," said Do. "She's got two dead bodies and has collected close to a million dollars and is talking about a new business with the same setup."

Before jurors resumed their deliberations, Rutterschmidt's attorney suggested the panelists could rescind any of the verdicts already reached. The judge scheduled Golay to be sentenced June 24. He said that if the jury changed its verdict in any way, he could change the date.

Guilty.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, that's one way to get yourself taken care of in your senior years. Either you're set with 3.7mill, or you're in prison. Either way, it's gotta beat some of the nursing homes I've seen. People demand a lot more rights for prisoners than they do for those hell holes.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

I've got a bulletin for you Karrie....Canadians spend more on prisoners (65,000.00/year) than they do on the permanently disabled (like me...(11,000.00 per year).

No one likes an old disabled man reaching into their pocket for another box of Kraft Dinner but hey...providing cable TV to rapists and thugs is perfectly OK!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Look it up ya moron.

Wait...yer so goddamn stupid I'm sure you have no idea how to do that now do you!?

ODSP maximum benefit.... its a hint ya asshole...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Look it up ya moron.

Wait...yer so goddamn stupid I'm sure you have no idea how to do that now do you!?

ODSP maximum benefit.... its a hint ya asshole...

ROFLMAO..... forget it mikey....I ain't so stupid to believe that the only benefit you get is the monthly cash from ODSP..... go push your bull**** on someone else. Add up the rest of the benifits you get per month and post that.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Oh yes I forgot ...you're not someone worth even attempting a conversation with...

I have considerable difficulty being accused of lying however and would like you to consider ****ING OFF and LEAVING THIS FORUM.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's enough swearing and accusations in this thread.

I don't know how many times we've had to remind people of the existence of the cage lately, but please, use it. No more in here. After I post this, any further attacks will be deleted.