Canada to skirt U.S. recession, grow strongly in 2009

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe.../recession_economy_080414/20080414?hub=Canada

OTTAWA -- Canada's in-demand commodities have given it a new measure of independence and enable it to sit out the U.S. recession, says an economic outlook from CIBC World Markets.

The report released Monday said America will slide into a recession in the first half of this year as a consequence of the worst housing slump since the Great Depression and tight money.

But while Canada is not immune to the shock, it will be able to ride out the recession even more impressively than it overcame the high-tech slump of 2001.

"Certainly there are still parts of the Canadian economy that move very closely to the cyclical rhythms of its much larger trading partner, but the resilience of the resource markets, particularly energy prices, heralds a new measure of economic independence for Canada,'' writes chief economist Jeff Rubin.

"For Canada, the diminished importance of the American economy to global commodity demand has meant downside protection for its resource rents against a U.S. economic downturn.''

The CIBC investment banking division predicts that Canada's economy will slow sharply from last year's 2.7 per cent advance to 1.6 per cent, but will rebound strongly to three per cent growth in 2009.

And it says the Canadian dollar, which closely tracks commodity prices, will stay strong and finish the year at about $1.05 US.

The report paints a rosier picture of Canada's prospects than last week's International Monetary Fund outlook, which predicted the country's growth would slump to 1.3 per cent this year and next.

The CIBC World Markets report says the boom from energy and metal prices has benefited the West in particular but has had a pronounced impact on Canada's economy overall -- creating wealth, adding to corporate profits and hiking government revenues to fund infrastructure spending.

"With resource prices still heading higher, domestic spending has plenty of fuel to give Canada the edge over U.S. growth,'' concludes the report.

Still, Ontario and particularly its auto and auto parts industries will have another tough year in 2008, the CIBC says.

"The structural change associated with living with a strong currency has a long way to run,'' says senior economist Avery Shenfeld, adding that "we could see years of slow bleeding in factory jobs and activity, even after the U.S. recession ends.''

This will mean Ontario, which exports a significant portion of its manufactured goods to the U.S., will come closest to a recession this year, says the report.

The report also forecasts that with inflation in check, the Bank of Canada will chop interest rates another three-quarters of a percentage point this year, taking the overnight rate to 2.75 per cent. Lower rates keep downward pressure on the dollar and encourage businesses and individuals to borrow and invest.

But Canada will also feel the pain from world escalating food prices and by year's end, the CIBC report says, warning that the inflation rate could hit three per cent.

Overall, however, it says Canada's economy is in good shape and would actually be experiencing a major boom if not for the U.S. slowdown.

He he....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's highly unlikely that Canada can excape what happens to the global economy. Our GDP could be o/k but that hardly translates into jobs and wages since the GDP increasingly does not reflect distribution of wealth within an economy, it floats to the top from the bottom and stays there it does not trickle down it gushes up. Sure we've got lots of raw materials to sell but we all can't be employed in gold mines or forests and those industries are less and less labour intensive. bush-reagan ©Unknown Beneath the photo from the Reagan Diaries is an actual quote that Reagan wrote about George "W" in his diaries, recently edited by author Doug Brinkley and published by Harper Collins: "A moment I've been dreading. George brought his n'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work." From the REAGAN DIARIES------entry dated May 17, 1986.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's highly unlikely that Canada can excape what happens to the global economy. Our GDP could be o/k but that hardly translates into jobs and wages since the GDP increasingly does not reflect distribution of wealth within an economy, it floats to the top from the bottom and stays there it does not trickle down it gushes up. Sure we've got lots of raw materials to sell but we all can't be employed in gold mines or forests and those industries are less and less labour intensive. bush-reagan ©Unknown Beneath the photo from the Reagan Diaries is an actual quote that Reagan wrote about George "W" in his diaries, recently edited by author Doug Brinkley and published by Harper Collins: "A moment I've been dreading. George brought his n'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work." From the REAGAN DIARIES------entry dated May 17, 1986.
LOL. Too bad they didn't find him a busboy job. Unfortunately, the guy who should be President is scrubbing toilets at the Reagan library. Fate works in strange ways.

Xicanita

Apr 30, 2008
USA
Did Reagan call G.W. Bush a ne'er-do-well?

Hey, I'm not exactly happy with the president I wound up with, and I would love to think this statement is true. However, iIt sounded too fishy, so I did a little investigation. Apparently this has been circulating the internet, but…

"Did Reagan really write this? Nope, he didn't. The quotation is pulled from an article titled "My Lunch with Reagan" by Michael Kinsley in the New Republic (vol. 237, issue 1, 7/2/07). And, not surprisingly, the quotation is taken out of context. In its original context it's easy to tell that it's meant as a joke:"

That’s a quote from this website: Did Reagan call G.W. Bush a ne’er-do-well? Read it. As much as I want it true, I'd hate for people to get mis-informed. Sorry! :-?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hey, I'm not exactly happy with the president I wound up with, and I would love to think this statement is true. However, iIt sounded too fishy, so I did a little investigation. Apparently this has been circulating the internet, but…

"Did Reagan really write this? Nope, he didn't. The quotation is pulled from an article titled "My Lunch with Reagan" by Michael Kinsley in the New Republic (vol. 237, issue 1, 7/2/07). And, not surprisingly, the quotation is taken out of context. In its original context it's easy to tell that it's meant as a joke:"

That’s a quote from this website: Did Reagan call G.W. Bush a ne’er-do-well? Read it. As much as I want it true, I'd hate for people to get mis-informed. Sorry! :-?

You will find that everything about DarkBeaver is misinformation.

Except for his existence.....unfortunately. :)

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
>>Canada to skirt U.S. recession, grow strongly in 2009<<

and if you believe that, then I have a beachfront property for sale in Australia. (at low tide)