BBC children's TV presenter Mark Speight has been found dead at Paddington train station in London today.

Speight has been inconsolable with grief after his girlfriend Natasha Collins, a fellow BBC children's TV presenter, died earlier this year.

He had found her lying in a scalding bath on 3rd January after he woke from a drugs and booze binge the couple had indulged in.

BBC presenter Mark Speight found dead at Paddington Station three months after girlfriend's cocaine death

13th April 2008
Daily Mail

Paddington train station in London where Mark Speight's body was found.

Television presenter Mark Speight was found dead at Paddington Railway Station in London this morning after disappearing following his girlfriend's death.

Police confirmed that the body of the children's TV star was found in a "remote area" of the railway station but said he had not been hit by a train.

Police have yet to reveal the circumstances in which he died.

His death comes two days after his best friend Stu Goldsmith revealed he thought his friend was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Distraught: Mark Speight at the inquest of his fiancee last week

The 42-year-old went missing six days ago after the inquest into the death of his fiancée Natasha Collins following a drugs overdose.

He was caught on CCTV entering Queen's Park tube station in north London on Monday.
Friends and family said he was still tormented by the drugs death of his 31-year-old fiancée, which happened three months ago.

He had found her lying in a scalding bath after he woke from a drugs and booze binge the couple had indulged in.

This morning his lifeless body was found away from public view by railway staff and police were called.

'Happy and in love': Mark Speight plants a kiss on Natasha Collins' cheek

Officers said his death was being treated as unexplained but added he had not been hit by a train.

A British Transport Police spokeswoman said: "At 10:00 on Sunday, 13th April, British Transport Police were advised that the body of a man was discovered at Paddington Railway Station.

The last image of Mark Speight, caught on CCTV just before he disappeared

"Officers were called to a remote area of the station, away from public view, following the discovery of the body.

"The circumstances surrounding his death are subject to an ongoing investigation by British Transport Police, but police can confirm the deceased was not struck by a train.

"At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained.

"Investigating officers believe the deceased to be that of reported missing person, 42-year-old Mark Speight.

"Police have notified next-of-kin of the discovery."

The spokeswoman added: "The body has been removed from the scene and CCTV from the station has been seized as part of the ongoing investigation."

Jan Kennedy, of Billy Marsh Associates, Speight's agent, said news of his death had come as a shocking and distressing blow.

"We are absolutely devastated at the tragic news of the loss of Mark and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well as the family of his beloved fiancee, Natasha, whose equally tragic death had effected him so inconsolably," she said.

"Caring and compassionate in everything he did, Mark was truly gifted in life and we are proud to have represented him as a friend and client for almost twenty years.

"He was blessed with a remarkable personality, great artistic talents and the wonderful warm ability to communicate those skills with people, especially children of all ages.

"With his sensitivity of spirit, coupled with his dynamic presence and natural enthusiasm he was loved and respected by his adoring family, friends and colleagues everywhere in the media."

A spokeswoman for Carmen Collins, Natasha's mother, said she was devastated that Mr Speight's body had been found, and asked for time to grieve in peace.

The discovery comes one day after his distraught father made an emotional appeal for him to let his family know he was safe.

It had been a week since Mark was last seen and his family were concerned about his state of mind in the wake of the death of his actress fiancee Natasha Collins.

Oliver Speight, 70, said: "Since Mark's disappearance, we have been leaving messages on his mobile telephone asking him to speak to us or the police to let us know where he is and if he is OK."

He added: "Mark, whatever you are doing to give yourself time to deal with your own personal grief, we totally understand, but we need you to get in touch.

"Please don't give up on us, because we are not giving up on you."

Police searching for the 42-year-old TV presenter are following up several reports of sightings in places he and Natasha visited during their relationship, including St Albans and Bournemouth.

A Met police spokesman said: "We are taking reports from Hertfordshire, Dorset and London more seriously because we know these were areas Mr Speight and his fiancee would frequent.

"They were some of Natasha's favourite places. They hold special memories."

CCTV cameras recorded Mark boarding an underground train at Queen's Park Tube station at 2.25pm last Monday.

He was last seen 22 minutes later boarding a southbound Bakerloo Line train heading towards the centre of the capital.

Speight was reported missing after failing to keep an appointment to meet his dead fiancee's mother for coffee in Covent Garden at 3.30pm the same day.