Nine foot tall robot prepares to run the London marathon

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The London marathon always has its strange contestants. Running in the marathon in the past have been daleks, knights in shining armour, C3PO and even red telephone boxes.

This year's contestants include genuine Maasai warriors from west Africa.....and a nine foot tall robot. The man in the robot costume competed in the 2002 London marathon in a deep-sea diving costume in which he broke the world record for the SLOWEST marathon time...

Intrepid fundraiser prepares to run marathon ... as a nine-foot robot

By JILL PAUL
11th April 2008
Daily Mail

Intrepid marathon man and fund raiser, Lloyd Scott is getting ready to run in Sunday's London marathon ... as a nine foot robot.

He will wear stilts inside the robot's legs to achieve the towering height. The fibre glass costume's upper body is fully animated with moving arms, illuminated eyes and moving mouth.

It weighs 70 lbs (31.8kg) and is over 4 feet wide.

Robotic: Lloyd Scott in front of the nine-foot costume he will wear in Sunday's London Marathon

Lloyd, 46, of Rainham in Essex will raise funds for the Autism Trust.

He said the robot is based on the Warner Bros animated film, The Iron Giant which was adapted from Ted Hughes' book, the Iron Man.

The costume was designed and created by sculptor Aden Hynes at his studio in Basildon, Essex.

Lloyd said, "I wanted to do something a little different this year. I chose a robot because I am running for the Autism Trust.

"Often the perception of autistic people is that they have a robotic existence when in fact they are very real people, with huge potential and the ability to flourish with the right help and support.

"I have recently had my second hip replacement and I probably I have as much metal in me as any robot.

"The film The Iron Giant is one of my favourites and the robot in the film is very friendly which was why it was so important to me that the costume had a friendly looking face.

After all I don't want to scare anyone."

Making the final checks to his 'Iron Giant' outfit

Lloyd will be one of 10 people raising funds for the charity.

"I believe I am the only team member who has run a marathon before and it is the first time the Trust has entered a team in the Marathon so it's going to be an exciting day for everyone," he said.

Lloyd's incredible costume is different from his previous guises. He competed in the 2002 London marathon in a deep-sea diving costume in which he broke the world record for the slowest marathon time.

Lloyd is a former fireman and leukaemia survivor. He has raised nearly £5m for charity from participating in the London and New York marathons as well as other events.

This years London Marathon will have an eclectic mix of runners, including six Maasai warriors who will wear traditional clothing and sandals made from car tyres.

dailymail.co.uk