MPs pass new, tougher animal cruelty bill

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...409/animal_cruelty_080409/20080409?hub=Canada

OTTAWA -- The House of Commons has passed animal-cruelty legislation designed to toughen Canada's century-old law.

The bill, introduced by a Liberal senator, passed easily by a vote of 189 to 71, with most Conservative, Bloc Quebecois and many Liberal MPs supporting it.

The NDP and some Liberals opposed it.

Animal welfare groups oppose the bill because they see it as a weak update of a bad law.
They say it simply raises the penalties in cruelty cases, and doesn't make it any easier to get convictions.

They support a more comprehensive private-member's bill introduced by Liberal MP Mark Holland.

Holland's bill would make it easier to prosecute abusers and would offer protection to strays and wildlife.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I wonder when they'll look out for people-on-people cruelty with the same vigour as they attack nastiness against critters? Think of the bureaucracies they could prosecute....

Woof!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
People who abuse animals are often the same people who will go on to abuse people. The issues aren't as separate as some think. I'm all for tougher penalties for people who choose to abuse animals.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
In fairness, I like animals more than I like people. Most animals are either useful or tasty. People...not so much.