A ban on homeschooling in California?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
A recent ruling in california states that home schooling will become illegal unless
homeschool teachers are 'qualified'.
After reading some blogs that are totally against the ruling, I wonder about the 'children' who do actually suffer badly from home schooling,as, although most are probably very beneficial for their kids, there must be many who take the priviledge of home schooling to a level of 'irresponsibility' and don't bother to do much with their kids at all, and as a result those kids are not ready to go out into the world and make their way, either emotionally or academically.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Courts have ruled that the states govern education and can set their own legal standards for home schooling. Because of that several states have outlawed home schooling. As for me, I feel that it is the parent's right to educate their own kids. Research has shown that, contrary to what some may be inclined to believe, kids who are taught at home actually have greater socialization skills and grow up happier than most youths.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have been told that kids who are of university age, now don't have to have any high school
transcripts, just the word of the home school person who teaches them, that they have
finished the high school level satisfactorily.
I was also told by a home school teacher that, the universities many times, prefer home schoolers over high school grads, as they are better prepared.
I'm sure that could be true, but the kids I think about are the ones who never finish or
come to any high school level at all, is there no yard stick, or check ups or monitoring of
home schoolers to make sure they are 'doing what they are suppose to do' and that is,
educate their children.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola

You have been informed incorrectly.

Home Schooled children have to pass State Examinations at each grade every year - and for College Entrance during their last year of home schooling prior to being enrolled in
higher education.

They learn at home but by strict guidelines set by the same people who dictate the school guidlines. They are also tested by those same guidelines.

Why would that be different? The venue for learning is different - not the work - only where and how it is presented - the testing is compatible.

Home schoolers far outweigh the level of learning regular schooling teaches due to the
numbers of students per classroom vs. the individual teaching at home.

Activities such as athletics and recreation and artistic endeavours are also of a combined nature for socialization.

Nobody applies to a university or two-year college without transcripts - students from all over the world prepare for and submit these (or are required to pre- test in the U.S. if they do not have them)..... children and home-school teachers know these documents are expected and satisfactorily passed for the application process whether they have been home-schooled or participated in the state school system.

Why would anyone assume children are refused higher education because they home school? In fact home schoolers are required to fill in more paperwork than their counterparts in the school system - as proof they are receiving adequate or better education.

What would hold a child back would be home schooling in a native language rather than the necessity of learning the English language and special coursework may have to be applied for as an extra to the home school system.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hugs n' kisses Curio..:)

When I was teaching in Ontario under special provision by the government that recognized programs in group homes etc. my work and the assessment I gave (marks grades etc.) were reviewed by the local schoolboard authority. I'd assume that a similar standard exists for those home-schooling.

I'd encourage home-schooling long before I'd recommend the cookie-cutter anonymity of modern learning rituals delivered as "education" in today's schools.

Miss ya!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Mikey

There is a movement afoot because the California School system lacks funding as usual and they are seeking to recapture the home-schooled children. The Board of Education sees
the losses as they have accepted a poor public educational system and expected the
citizens to continue allowing their children to be moved through like parts on an assembly board in a factory. Many home-schooled children as you know are special needs and physically impaired - or of an intellect that home-schooling has been recommended to allow them to progress at their natural speed rather than be held back ....

Whatever happens, I hope the final result will be improved education for all the children and the choice remains public, private or home. It is an investment in any nation's future and must be guarded by everyone that each child is receiving the best or as close to it as possible.

I have no doubt Mikey you were an excellent teacher - especially for the group home children who no doubt had many special considerations to be made for life interrupted.

Nice to see you - back at ya.... Curio

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Here's another article referencing modern teaching public, private and home schooling if anyone is interested. Perhaps one day we will carry a life computer around with us to save ourselves from having to tax our brains at all.
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080321_004574.html

March 21, 2008
War of the Worlds: The Human Side of Moore's Law

There is a technology war coming. Actually it is already here but most of us haven't yet notice. It is a war not about technology but because of technology, a war over how we as a culture embrace technology. It is a war that threatens venerable institutions and, to a certain extent, threatens what many people think of as their very way of life. It is a war that will ultimately and inevitably change us all, no going back. The early battles are being fought in our schools. And I already know who the winners will be.

This is a war over how we as a culture and a society respond to Moore's Law.
The real power of Moore's Law lies in what the lady at the bank called "the miracle of compound interest," which has allowed personal computers to increase in performance a millionfold over the past 30 years. There's a similar, if slower, effect that governs the rate at which individuals are empowered by the technology they use. Called Cringely's Nth Law of Computing (because I have forgotten for the moment what law I am up to, whether it is five or six), it says that waves of technological innovation take approximately 30 years - one human generation - to be completely absorbed by our culture. That's 30 years to become an overnight sensation, 30 years to finally settle into the form most useful to society, 30 years to change the game.
The key word here is "empowerment." Technologies allow us to overcome limitations of time, distance, and physical capability, but they only empower us when they can be gracefully used by large, productive segments of our society. The telephone was empowering when we all finally got it. Now it is the Internet and digital communications.
Let's be clear about what we're measuring here. It has very little to do with specific technologies and everything to do with our adaptation to technology as a culture. What Cringely's Nth Law of Computing predicts is our rate of adaptation to technological life. This happens not at the rate technologies are developed but at the rate we are capable of broadly absorbing them. We've seen this sort of thing before, of course. I used to work in user interface design and noticed long ago that it took about a decade for every new interface standard to be absorbed by technical culture. This dates back a lot longer than most of us might guess, all the way back to microfilm readers in the 1960s. Older engineers couldn't stand reading microfilm while younger engineers found it effortless. Same for microfiche, which followed microfilm. The same effect could be found in typing: older people - mainly men - wouldn't adapt to it, but those who used a typewriter in high school or college quickly learned they could not live without it. Ditto for computers, first with batch processing, then time-sharing terminals, then command-line PCs, then graphical user interfaces, and now emerging mobile platforms. Each new technology is difficult for the older generation and easy for the younger, which explains why I am a PC master but a texting idiot. I'm just too damned old.
Here, buried in my sixth paragraph, is the most important nugget: we've reached the point in our (disparate) cultural adaptation to computing and communication technology that the younger technical generations are so empowered they are impatient and ready to jettison institutions most of the rest of us tend to think of as essential, central, even immortal. They are ready to dump our schools.
I came to this conclusion recently while attending Brainstorm 2008, a delightful conference for computer people in K-12 schools throughout Wisconsin. They didn't hold breakout sessions on technology battles or tactics, but the idea was in the air. These people were under siege.
I started writing educational software in 1978. The role of instructional technology has changed since then from a gimmick to a novelty to an effort to an essential component of any curriculum. Kids can't go to school today without working on computers. But having said that, in the last five years more and more technical resources have been turned to how to keep technology OUT of our schools. Keeping kids from instant messaging, then text messaging or using their phones in class is a big issue as is how to minimize plagiarism from the Internet. These defensive measures are based on the idea that unbound use of these communication and information technologies is bad, that it keeps students from learning what they must, and hurts their ability to later succeed as adults.
But does it?
These are kids who have never known life without personal computers and cell phones. But far more important, there is emerging a class of students whose PARENTS have never known life without personal computers and cell phones. The Big Kahuna in educational discipline isn't the school, it is the parent. Ward Cleaver rules. But what if Ward puts down his pipe and starts texting? Well he has.
Andy Hertzfeld said Google is the best tool for an aging programmer because it remembers when we cannot. Dave Winer, back in 1996, came to the conclusion that it was better to bookmark information than to cut and paste it. I'm sure today Dave wouldn't bother with the bookmark and would simply search from scratch to get the most relevant result. Both men point to the idea that we're moving from a knowledge economy to a search economy, from a kingdom of static values to those that are dynamic. Education still seems to define knowing as more important than being able to find, yet which do you do more of in your work? And what's wrong with crimping a paragraph here or there from Cringely if it shows you understand the topic?
This is, of course, a huge threat to the education establishment, which tends to have a very deterministic view of how knowledge and accomplishment are obtained - a view that doesn't work well in the search economy. At the same time K-12 educators are being pulled back by No Child Left Behind, they are being pulled forward (they probably see it as pulled askew) by kids abetted by their high-tech Generation Y (yes, we're getting well into Y) parents who are using their Ward Cleaver power not to maintain the status quo but to challenge it.
This is an unstable system. Homeschooling, charter schools, these things didn't even exist when I was a kid, but they are everywhere now. There's only one thing missing to keep the whole system from falling apart - ISO certification.
I've written about this for years and nobody ever paid attention, but ISO certification is what destroyed the U.S. manufacturing economy. With ISO 9000 there was suddenly a way to claim with some justification that a factory in Malaysia was precisely comparable to an IBM plant on the Hudson. Prior to then it was all based on reputation, not statistics. And now that IBM plant is gone.
Well reputation still holds in education, though its grip is weakening. I know kids from good families who left high school early with a GED because they were bored or wanted to enter college early. Maybe college is next.
MIT threw videos of all its lecture courses - ALL its lecture courses - up on the web for anyone to watch for free. This was precisely comparable to SGI (remember them?) licensing OpenGL to Microsoft. What is it, then, that makes an MIT education worth $34,986? Is it the seminars that aren't on the web? Faculty guidance? Research experience? Getting drunk and falling in the Charles River without your pants? Right now it is all those things plus a dimensionless concept of educational quality, which might well go out the window if some venture capitalist with too much money decides to fund an ISO certification process not for schools but for students.
The University of Phoenix is supposedly preparing a complete middle and high school online curriculum available anywhere in the world. I live in Charleston, SC where the public schools are atrocious despite spending an average of $16,000 per student each year. Why shouldn't I keep my kids at home and online, demanding that the city pay for it?
Because that's not the way we do it, that's why.
Well times are changing.
Steve Jobs rejects the idea of Apple making or distributing e-books because he says people don't read books. He's right, book readers are older. Young readers graze. They search. Look how they watch TV. Steve didn't say people are stupid or we're all going to Hell in a handbasket. He just said we don't read books.
Technology is beginning to assail the underlying concepts of our educational system - a system that's huge and rich and so far fairly immune to economic influence. But the support structure for those hallowed and not so hallowed halls has always been parents willing to pay tuition and alumni willing to give money, both of which are likely to change over a generation for reasons I've just spent 1469 words explaining. We are nearing the time when paying dues and embracing proxies for quality may give way having the ability to know what kids really know, to verify what they can really do, not as 365th in their class at Stanford but as Channing Cringely, who just graduated from nowhere with the proven ability to design time machines.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Taloola

You have been informed incorrectly.

I certainly hope so, although the information given to me is for 'canadian' schooling only,
not sure about the u.s.

I'm sure, even though canadian kids don't have high school transcripts, (from homeschooling), there is 'something' to replace that.

What you say, re: california needing the money, so bringing all the homeschoolers back into the school would help that cause, makes sense, things like that usually have money
at the root of it.

I'm glad I brought this subject up, as I, and I would imagine, many others, don't know
enough about the subject, and need to learn more. ha, sorry for the pun

A person I know , age 15, will be entering public school this fall.
He has been homeschooled since the beginning. He is very introverted and unsure of
himself, and I wonder how he will do, as I think the 'shock' therapy will be very touchy.
He is very intelligent, but very 'out of touch with others his age'. I can see some very
good things about that, as he doesn't care about 'fads', 'comparisons of any kind re:
dress and 'just being cool', and also he would not know how to stand up for himself,
in a situation of bullying, or just verbal meaness, etc., so I am interested in watching from a distance as to
how this all plays out. I wish the best for him, of course.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Talloola

I sincerely hope your young friend adjusts - entering any new setting at fifteen is a gamble - especially if he has socialization issues. I am curious to know why the change from home to public setting especially if he is deprived of or unaccustomed to regular socialization with peers. These days being bright is as bad a 'curse' to a teen as being
dull and insolent.

That is why some children (generally very introverted to the point of Autism or Aspberger) are better in small settings where they can focus on the work rather than interaction with others - and at fifteen - even the normals have problems sorting out their identities much less learning new material to stuff into their heads when the media and the outside world are pulling them with all the glories of being a 'teen'.

It's a battlefield and I don't envy parents raising healthy well adjusted kids these days when all they teach is turned upside down because of outside influences which seem to
change on a daily basis within the public school setting.

I've never seen such competition for a child's brain as what is going on these days. It always amazes me how strong some of the kids are to survive and continue on to come out 'normal' and adjusted to our schizoid schooling traditions as they can be.

The whole education system for school age kids needs to be revamped with good thoughts being given to protection of their feelings of self worth - one incident of hell such as bullying or teasing or body changes which become an embarrassment (weight gain for one), can set a kid back and interfere with their ability to focus on what hey are in school for - to learn - and socialize - learning being paramount - but without socialization - very difficult.

I hope your friend survives - sometimes the challenge of overcoming trauma is just another obstacle a bright child will see as something worth winning - which is a good thing.
Another good thing is finding a close accepting friend with similar values - unsurpassed during teen years.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola
good thing is finding a close accepting friend with similar values - unsurpassed during teen years.

Well, he is 6ft2in. at 151/2 yrs., dark beautiful wavy hair, and good looking, but his looks
don't fit his personality, as he is immature in social side of life, low confidence, no girls in his life at all except his cousins which he has just met in the last year, and he is still a kid in many ways, he has grown up in a very
small town, till now, and he needs to go into the public school system so that he doesn't
spend too many more years without making friends and dealing with life, as even the
negative stuff is part of life and it doesn't matter where you come from.
I know the school system is very flawed, but I put much more of the responsibility on the
home, as most parents work now, and real positive valuable parenting is difficult when parents are so busy, and everyone is running around. There are great parents and there are poor parents, where happy hour etc. seems to be more important than parenting.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola

Oh boy that's a heartbreaker - I hope he rises above the chaos and finds a direct path to his goals. His parents will as you say be instrumental in keeping him level and focused.

When I was young I used to curse my terribly dull and large family - thinking they had to be the most boring group a girl could be stuck with. Now I realize with gratitude what a gift
I had - boundaries - knowing what was expected of me and knowing I would always be forgiven my mistakes and transgressions. It is so important we have to have constants in our young lives - things we can count on to remain the same even when the world is spinning around us.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Taloola

Oh boy that's a heartbreaker - I hope he rises above the chaos and finds a direct path to his goals. His parents will as you say be instrumental in keeping him level and focused.

When I was young I used to curse my terribly dull and large family - thinking they had to be the most boring group a girl could be stuck with. Now I realize with gratitude what a gift
I had - boundaries - knowing what was expected of me and knowing I would always be forgiven my mistakes and transgressions. It is so important we have to have constants in our young lives - things we can count on to remain the same even when the world is spinning around us.

He has a very good mother, who will be there for him every step of the way.

McCaulley

Electoral Member
Mar 23, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well Talloola, i wish your friend luck
and being 15 myself i urge him to be very nice to everyone he meets even if he does not like them and soon he will meet people with whom he will be able to connect and then he will have friends that he can count on. I am nice to everyone i know (most of the time) and though i am not the most athletic or best looking kid in my grade (my cousin is always one step ahead =[) i was voted class president, so just tell him to be nice and treat people right and soon he'll get a bunch of friends that he can count on and things will be alright

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I have been told that kids who are of university age, now don't have to have any high school
transcripts, just the word of the home school person who teaches them, that they have
finished the high school level satisfactorily.
I was also told by a home school teacher that, the universities many times, prefer home schoolers over high school grads, as they are better prepared.

Some colleges are now dropping SAT score criteria because they do not take into account learning disabilities.

For example, I did VERY poorly on my SAT and my LSAT before I entered law school. Yet, I was an honor student at both levels. I was on the Dean's list at least four times as an under-graduate. Because of my learning disability and poor scores on pre-admission testing, I was rejected by many schools. However, that did not keep me from excelling in the class room or at work.

I sincerely feel that standardized testing violates the Americans With Disabilities Act. This is a law that I lobbied for and know it very well. It has been used for the benefit of students who need to take medication before and during athletic contests and should be applicable in pre-admission testing as well.

As a law school student, I did research on home schooling and found that many schools concurred as to the efficacy of such education. Five of my classmates did the same study for their own research projects and came up with the same conclusion.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Some colleges are now dropping SAT score criteria because they do not take into account learning disabilities.

For example, I did VERY poorly on my SAT and my LSAT before I entered law school. Yet, I was an honor student at both levels. I was on the Dean's list at least four times as an under-graduate. Because of my learning disability and poor scores on pre-admission testing, I was rejected by many schools. However, that did not keep me from excelling in the class room or at work.

I sincerely feel that standardized testing violates the Americans With Disabilities Act. This is a law that I lobbied for and know it very well. It has been used for the benefit of students who need to take medication before and during athletic contests and should be applicable in pre-admission testing as well.

As a law school student, I did research on home schooling and found that many schools concurred as to the efficacy of such education. Five of my classmates did the same study for their own research projects and came up with the same conclusion.

Thank you gopher, that is very interesting and answers some of my questions.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Here's another article referencing modern teaching public, private and home schooling if anyone is interested. Perhaps one day we will carry a life computer around with us to save ourselves from having to tax our brains at all.
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080321_004574.html

March 21, 2008
War of the Worlds: The Human Side of Moore's Law

There is a technology war coming. Actually it is already here but most of us haven't yet notice. It is a war not about technology but because of technology, a war over how we as a culture embrace technology. It is a war that threatens venerable institutions and, to a certain extent, threatens what many people think of as their very way of life. It is a war that will ultimately and inevitably change us all, no going back. The early battles are being fought in our schools. And I already know who the winners will be.

This is a war over how we as a culture and a society respond to Moore's Law.
The real power of Moore's Law lies in what the lady at the bank called "the miracle of compound interest," which has allowed personal computers to increase in performance a millionfold over the past 30 years. There's a similar, if slower, effect that governs the rate at which individuals are empowered by the technology they use. Called Cringely's Nth Law of Computing (because I have forgotten for the moment what law I am up to, whether it is five or six), it says that waves of technological innovation take approximately 30 years - one human generation - to be completely absorbed by our culture. That's 30 years to become an overnight sensation, 30 years to finally settle into the form most useful to society, 30 years to change the game.
The key word here is "empowerment." Technologies allow us to overcome limitations of time, distance, and physical capability, but they only empower us when they can be gracefully used by large, productive segments of our society. The telephone was empowering when we all finally got it. Now it is the Internet and digital communications.
Let's be clear about what we're measuring here. It has very little to do with specific technologies and everything to do with our adaptation to technology as a culture. What Cringely's Nth Law of Computing predicts is our rate of adaptation to technological life. This happens not at the rate technologies are developed but at the rate we are capable of broadly absorbing them. We've seen this sort of thing before, of course. I used to work in user interface design and noticed long ago that it took about a decade for every new interface standard to be absorbed by technical culture. This dates back a lot longer than most of us might guess, all the way back to microfilm readers in the 1960s. Older engineers couldn't stand reading microfilm while younger engineers found it effortless. Same for microfiche, which followed microfilm. The same effect could be found in typing: older people - mainly men - wouldn't adapt to it, but those who used a typewriter in high school or college quickly learned they could not live without it. Ditto for computers, first with batch processing, then time-sharing terminals, then command-line PCs, then graphical user interfaces, and now emerging mobile platforms. Each new technology is difficult for the older generation and easy for the younger, which explains why I am a PC master but a texting idiot. I'm just too damned old.
Here, buried in my sixth paragraph, is the most important nugget: we've reached the point in our (disparate) cultural adaptation to computing and communication technology that the younger technical generations are so empowered they are impatient and ready to jettison institutions most of the rest of us tend to think of as essential, central, even immortal. They are ready to dump our schools.
I came to this conclusion recently while attending Brainstorm 2008, a delightful conference for computer people in K-12 schools throughout Wisconsin. They didn't hold breakout sessions on technology battles or tactics, but the idea was in the air. These people were under siege.
I started writing educational software in 1978. The role of instructional technology has changed since then from a gimmick to a novelty to an effort to an essential component of any curriculum. Kids can't go to school today without working on computers. But having said that, in the last five years more and more technical resources have been turned to how to keep technology OUT of our schools. Keeping kids from instant messaging, then text messaging or using their phones in class is a big issue as is how to minimize plagiarism from the Internet. These defensive measures are based on the idea that unbound use of these communication and information technologies is bad, that it keeps students from learning what they must, and hurts their ability to later succeed as adults.
But does it?
These are kids who have never known life without personal computers and cell phones. But far more important, there is emerging a class of students whose PARENTS have never known life without personal computers and cell phones. The Big Kahuna in educational discipline isn't the school, it is the parent. Ward Cleaver rules. But what if Ward puts down his pipe and starts texting? Well he has.
Andy Hertzfeld said Google is the best tool for an aging programmer because it remembers when we cannot. Dave Winer, back in 1996, came to the conclusion that it was better to bookmark information than to cut and paste it. I'm sure today Dave wouldn't bother with the bookmark and would simply search from scratch to get the most relevant result. Both men point to the idea that we're moving from a knowledge economy to a search economy, from a kingdom of static values to those that are dynamic. Education still seems to define knowing as more important than being able to find, yet which do you do more of in your work? And what's wrong with crimping a paragraph here or there from Cringely if it shows you understand the topic?
This is, of course, a huge threat to the education establishment, which tends to have a very deterministic view of how knowledge and accomplishment are obtained - a view that doesn't work well in the search economy. At the same time K-12 educators are being pulled back by No Child Left Behind, they are being pulled forward (they probably see it as pulled askew) by kids abetted by their high-tech Generation Y (yes, we're getting well into Y) parents who are using their Ward Cleaver power not to maintain the status quo but to challenge it.
This is an unstable system. Homeschooling, charter schools, these things didn't even exist when I was a kid, but they are everywhere now. There's only one thing missing to keep the whole system from falling apart - ISO certification.
I've written about this for years and nobody ever paid attention, but ISO certification is what destroyed the U.S. manufacturing economy. With ISO 9000 there was suddenly a way to claim with some justification that a factory in Malaysia was precisely comparable to an IBM plant on the Hudson. Prior to then it was all based on reputation, not statistics. And now that IBM plant is gone.
Well reputation still holds in education, though its grip is weakening. I know kids from good families who left high school early with a GED because they were bored or wanted to enter college early. Maybe college is next.
MIT threw videos of all its lecture courses - ALL its lecture courses - up on the web for anyone to watch for free. This was precisely comparable to SGI (remember them?) licensing OpenGL to Microsoft. What is it, then, that makes an MIT education worth $34,986? Is it the seminars that aren't on the web? Faculty guidance? Research experience? Getting drunk and falling in the Charles River without your pants? Right now it is all those things plus a dimensionless concept of educational quality, which might well go out the window if some venture capitalist with too much money decides to fund an ISO certification process not for schools but for students.
The University of Phoenix is supposedly preparing a complete middle and high school online curriculum available anywhere in the world. I live in Charleston, SC where the public schools are atrocious despite spending an average of $16,000 per student each year. Why shouldn't I keep my kids at home and online, demanding that the city pay for it?
Because that's not the way we do it, that's why.
Well times are changing.
Steve Jobs rejects the idea of Apple making or distributing e-books because he says people don't read books. He's right, book readers are older. Young readers graze. They search. Look how they watch TV. Steve didn't say people are stupid or we're all going to Hell in a handbasket. He just said we don't read books.
Technology is beginning to assail the underlying concepts of our educational system - a system that's huge and rich and so far fairly immune to economic influence. But the support structure for those hallowed and not so hallowed halls has always been parents willing to pay tuition and alumni willing to give money, both of which are likely to change over a generation for reasons I've just spent 1469 words explaining. We are nearing the time when paying dues and embracing proxies for quality may give way having the ability to know what kids really know, to verify what they can really do, not as 365th in their class at Stanford but as Channing Cringely, who just graduated from nowhere with the proven ability to design time machines.

Luckily not all cultures are in free fall collapse. What is true here isn't true everywhere.

I'm reminded of the dark ages where people had forgotten how to build chimneys! (The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop) My point is that even the most basic technologies can be lost and a civilization can destroy itself within a single generation. We won't know it's over until the last second when it's discovered the next generation is completely inept. In some countries, like England for example, that has already happened where they have to import their skill and intelligence. It seems to be starting here in Canada too IMO.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
In the arena of educating and testing of students (of any age group).... one important factor must be considered.....

There are variables with all humans and group 'fits' do not tell the complete story - at best they are only guidelines within which the majority can loosely fit. They must never become the 'rule of law' for any for each student is an individual, with gifts and liabilities, talent and disability. Raw education must seek these specific details out and teach accordingly.

An educational system must be all inclusive or the system is merely an exercise in taxation of the people wherein at the same time it fails to accomplish its mission.

All students must be tapped for their best abilities and educated with that focus as to future livelihood and specific individual contribution to the nation.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Good post.

When it comes to education, there should NEVER be any form of one-size-fits-all standards. As a child in grade school when teachers did not know anything about learning disability, teachers used to call me "stupid" in class whenever I made a slip up. I am certain that many would regret their words if and when they became aware of learning disability. This especially if they could see the academic awards I was to receive and read the scholarly articles I wrote.