Fasten Seat Belts Please

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Pretty good, thank you, Mikey;

And you.....................?

Already to feast on the Easter ham, lamb, or bunny, whatever your preference.?

We are going to Burger King...................mehhhhhhh:roll:

According to the news, the door seems to be opening ever so slowly to tell people that the "free ride" is over...........like "Unohoo" ever had one.

But, thanks, we're finer than frog hair.

Easy on the 'handsome' stuff. Bear will be jealous.

:albino:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Think of it as an opportunity Beve! The last depression was product of the same manipulation of wealth by the wealthy while the common man suffered. Perhaps it's an opportunity to stimulate reconsideration of notions like "brainwashing" and "conditioning", to re-examine the authority power and trust handed-over to the madarins of corporate greed that conduct the symphony of destruction. Maybe it will serve as a reminder that skills like carpentry plumbing and mechanics are every bit as "status-worthy" as computer-geeks and "consultants". When the machinery of "prosperity" grinds to a halt, we are forced to renew our bonds with the basics. There has been a war going on since the dawn of mankind, that war has pitted the greed and ignorance of the few against the greed and ignorance of the many. It may become apparent to the great unwashed that their greed, their appetite for recieiveing what hasn't been earned..through manipulation and coercion by "investors" and "middle-men" by "salesmen" and "lawyers" isn't something a society can be built on after all.

When their own disregard for the reality in which they live bites them in the arse maybe there'll be an awakening of sorts. Coupled with climate change perhaps a depression will serve as impetus to many to abandon their preconcieved notions of "democracy" and "freedom" and help them to understand that these concepts aren't gifted to them by a Prime Minister and a Cabinet, a President and an Executive, but by the actions of people to create and preserve an atmosphere of accountability and personal integrity. Maybe the absence of electricity will drive people away from their computers and their gameboys and televisions. When the gas pumps can't free the "status" buried in the Hummers and the sixty-thousand dollar cars..... Perhaps we're looking at the perfect storm of human hubris and lack of quality thinking coupled with the artifice of consumption without consequence as the guiding principles that tear down empires.

Always looking for the silver lining Beve...:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Goodmorn; Mickey;

"Maybe it will serve as a reminder that skills like carpentry plumbing and mechanics are every bit as "status-worthy" as computer-geeks and "consultants". When the machinery of "prosperity" grinds to a halt, we are forced to renew our bonds with the basics."

That statement of your's is about to become very obvious as the basic necessitys of life are soon to be taught on a dayly very mean level. I seem to recall your past electrical adventures. This past couple of weeks I have begun construction of an axial flux alternator (small 500-1000 watts). I had wound and cast a stator (nine coils 85 turns #16awg) which I inadvertently destroyed in a planner a couple of days ago, oops. Anyway I've got #18 awg free scrounged wire whereas the plan calls for #14 awg coils of 44 turns on a wedge shape permanent magnet of about 2.5 surface area (5500 gauss at 12 magnets). It will be attached to a water wheel and hung over a brook. Anyway, can you direct me to basic coil construction information of this type.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Water flow isn't reliable Beve. And it will become less so as time passes. Go with a wind turbine.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:smile: I knew there was a reason I kept me dad's carpenter's tools, and learned how to usem.

Unfortunately, we're still locked into the grid, and the supply of kerosene and propane might soon be exhausted, along with lamp oil.

Wood futures will go through the ceiling. Long on wood, short on oil. Sell gold.

Suck eggs.

That's the ticket. Suck eggs. Unohoo :glasses9: usually winds up doin just that.

:canada:(Harpo luvs his little peeeple)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Water flow isn't reliable Beve. And it will become less so as time passes. Go with a wind turbine.
I only had enough capital to put up a sixteen foot test tower last summer, I agree water is not full time but for the next three months it will run heavily for twenty-four seven where I am and the water wheel is cheaper because I've got the parts on hand whereas the new tower will take a while to scrape up and install. I built a small 25 watt wind turbine last year and ran it for seven months, it worked great and kept the cell phone car radio and some lights going all that time dumping into an old car battery over rectifiers.
So capital is my problem, I've got enough for the alternator and rotor but I can't get it into the air without a further infusion of cash and scrounge followed by concrete pouring and guy wires on two inch water pipe to a hieght of thirty feet which gets me into clean air.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Water flow isn't reliable Beve. And it will become less so as time passes. Go with a wind turbine.""
-------------------------------
Aren't those things available commercially yet? Seems I've seen them advertised. Not cheap, but available.

If I had a good stream, with the flow guaranteed by the construction of a small dam, I'd go for it. Course, it's probably illegal to dam up a stream and kill the"Purple-finned-humpback-dace"; as there are only 50 billion of them in existance.

The alternative is to buy some property where there is already a dam, such as in an old mill, with a water wheel installed, just waiting for someone to power up. There be a place like that within 20 miles of Backwater, but tis not for sale.

Ah well...........fukk it.

VoltaNugg.:read2:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Any potential geo-thermal power around where you live..?

I know the cost is similarly prohibitive but every bit can contribute.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
from post #1 article:

"There was at least one sanguine voice this week, that of U.S. President George W. Bush. Against the backdrop of the global credit crisis, a greenback plunging to a new record low against the euro, a housing collapse, a looming bear market for stocks and mounting joblessness, Bush took a brief moment between Florida fundraisers to tell the world that its biggest consumer economy remained "fundamentally sound."

It's ok people, everything everybody ever told you about what happens prior to our society going all to crap and deep into a depression isn't the case.... Bush says everything is just peachy. Phew..... thank Jebus. We can trust what he tells us of course.

I'm all for it.... whoo hooo.... Go Depression! I don't have any credit and it's because the banks screwed me over.... now they're getting screwed, Good, it's their own expert doing.

How many more times will humans have to go through inevitable depressions until we get sick and tired of them?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Nugg..:)

Maybe we could form a club and seek donations to put a dome over Stephen Harpo.... Just imagine the hot air rising and gently turning vanes that un-tapped resource could be....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Praxius

I don't know for sure but it seems to be a repeating theme throughout human history that only when the ca-ca hits the fan do people rise to the challenges. Ain't it swell how the consumer conditioning of the past sixty years has resulted in young folk who know how to "replace the faulty part" but haven't a clue how to fix it?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You don't need as much head if you use a turbine - 7 inch post-hole auger, 7-1/2 inch id ribbed culvert and old car differential. Play around with the mechanics and you'll have all the torque and turns you'll ever need from just a bit of flow....

Woof!

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Dont worry, all our woes will be taken care of when we Join the North American Union...the World Bank is our new Country, fear not slaves....Imean People...we are being taken care of. ;)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Hey Nugg..:)

Maybe we could form a club and seek donations to put a dome over Stephen Harpo.... Just imagine the hot air rising and gently turning vanes that un-tapped resource could be....

Put a dome over Harpo and the whole parliament. The hot air from the "debates" and the methane produced from the concomitant bullsh!t would power all of Canada for eternity.

Plus, we'd have fertilizer for the crops.

Good idea Mikey.

:cool:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
YO LoneWolf...:)

Are you banking on water-flow?

Water's always flowing - and beavers save us a lot of trouble in stopping up streams. Mind you, you need the land to flood 'cuz the neighbours tend to get pissed off when the veggie patch gets swampy. Ice seldom gets to the bottom of a beaver pond. You just gotta convince the eager buggers to not stop up the intake.

Woof!