STDs rife among US teenage girls

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
One in four teenage girls in the United States has a sexually-transmitted disease, a study has indicated.

The study, by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), found an even higher prevalence of STDs among black girls.
Researchers analysed data from a nationally representative sample of 838 US girls aged 14 to 19.
A virus that causes cervical cancer - HPV - was the most common, followed by chlamydia, trichomoniasis and herpes.

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7290088.stm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadian teen girls are likely in the same percentage bracket. I've seen enough! They are on the pill, and off they go!! Who needs protection?? By the time they get married they are old cows already!!
Sorry, my sarcasm, but it is true for a great number of them.

At this point I would like to bring up the way western teens and tweens dress as compared to the Muslim females and the relation to sexual activities.
I think it goes without question that the young Western females dress to provoke the male species.

The Muslim females dress so as not to arouse the male.
Would be interesting to find out how sexual diseases compare in these two groups.
Does the Muslim male frequent the bordellos more often, or is he more controlled and can abstain?

Does anyone know anything about this subject?

Reactions: karrie

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think that's a fair comparison DL. Not sure about the old cows though. lol

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
One in four teenage girls in the United States has a sexually-transmitted disease, a study has indicated.

The study, by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), found an even higher prevalence of STDs among black girls.
Researchers analysed data from a nationally representative sample of 838 US girls aged 14 to 19.
A virus that causes cervical cancer - HPV - was the most common, followed by chlamydia, trichomoniasis and herpes.

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7290088.stm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadian teen girls are likely in the same percentage bracket. I've seen enough! They are on the pill, and off they go!! Who needs protection?? By the time they get married they are old cows already!!
Sorry, my sarcasm, but it is true for a great number of them.
I have just recently left an industry that employs many young women. I can say unequivically many of those girls have had more partners by the time they are twenty than the older generations will have experienced if they live to be 100.

They are also quite free and open about the STD problem and who has what.

At this point I would like to bring up the way western teens and tweens dress as compared to the Muslim females and the relation to sexual activities.
I think it goes without question that the young Western females dress to provoke the male species.
They do although I think this can not be placed merely upon western teens. Our society as a whole has changed. We do not view sex as the GREAT MYSTICAL union any more. That is reflected in the attitude of the youth.

However how different is this than the "free love" flower child generation? They had their fair share of partners as well.

So did Victorian society. Prostitution was rampant in England.

The Muslim females dress so as not to arouse the male.
They are also the most repressed women on the planet.

Would be interesting to find out how sexual diseases compare in these two groups.
How could she get an STD. If she gets raped, they kill her.

Does the Muslim male frequent the bordellos more often, or is he more controlled and can abstain?
Are there Muslim bordellos with Muslim women, or would they be populated by infidels?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
HPV drives the rates of 'STD' through the roof. And it will make stats look much higher than it has in the past because we now know how to find it on tests. But having HPV supposedly doesn't always mean a girl is some kind of skank. Sometimes it means it was passed to her through birth, since many women who have it will never know unless they get cervical cancer from it.

Think of how many women you know who've had 'precancer' cells found during a routine pap smear. Most have children. Thus, their kids will have inherited this lovely virus if born vaginally.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Karrie, I thought it was transmitted via sexual contact. Are you saying a baby may have HPV?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, I thought it was transmitted via sexual contact. Are you saying a baby may have HPV?

Yes. A vaginal delivery if you have any sort of STD can pass it to the baby. HPV is an especially easy one to transmit. I've seen some debate frankly on whether it should even be called an STD, rather than an HTD (human transmitted disease), since there's no way to completely prevent its specific transmission aside from strict monogamy and cesarean births. Any contact with genitals without a full barrier (ie dental dam AND a condom) can still lead to its transmission.

It's typically (not always, some strains cause genital warts) a symptomless issue until cervical cancer crops up, so we went ages without even realizing it was there.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yes. A vaginal delivery if you have any sort of STD can pass it to the baby. HPV is an especially easy one to transmit. I've seen some debate frankly on whether it should even be called an STD, rather than an HTD (human transmitted disease), since there's no way to completely prevent its specific transmission aside from strict monogamy and cesarean births. Any contact with genitals without a full barrier (ie dental dam AND a condom) can still lead to its transmission.

It's typically (not always, some strains cause genital warts) a symptomless issue until cervical cancer crops up, so we went ages without even realizing it was there.
Okay forgive my ignorance here. Can you give me some links because everything I can find says it is a sexually trasmitted virus. One which they now believe they can immunize against.

I am really shocked here and totally fascinated. Thanks Karrie.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
first result of my search... as it points out, pregnancy alone won't pass it along, but, vag birth is a risk. It's addressing of course the active cases of exterior visible HPV, because most women and doctors aren't aware if they have an active case of HPV affecting their cervix.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/stds_hpv_pregnancy.html

I'll go keep snooping

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Apparently there are also about 130 forms of HPV, 40 of which are genital, the other 90 forms generate planter's warts or other forms of warts or even more benign symptoms. I can't remember the exact number but something like only 10-20 cause noticeable symptoms. The other types can only be picked up in a lab test.

Long story short, not all "STD's" (if that is what we are going to call them) are created equal. I have herpes, so do millions, heck maybe billions, of people. I don't see any real point in differentiating by `simplex'. Why is a cold sore on your lip less frightening than one nobody will ever see? I don't know, because the worst part of having a cold sore is that everybody sees your misery.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It can be transmitted at birth, it's called perinatal transmission, but that's only really been associated with 2 specific kinds of HPV.

I'm kind of surprised at the attitudes on this thread. I thought we'd progressed beyond calling girls used or old cows because they've had sex. I wonder why it's the number of partners that makes a woman used? Why aren't married women who have lots of sex called the same thing? Their vaginas are probably used a lot more often than a teenage girl who has slept with 2 boyfriends. I'm also kind of surprised no one has pointed out the obvious: boys are the ones passing these diseases on as well. Why aren't we talking about them? I'm hoping one day we can just treat diseases without the moral judgements.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Long story short, not all "STD's" (if that is what we are going to call them) are created equal. I have herpes, so do millions, heck maybe billions, of people. I don't see any real point in differentiating by `simplex'. Why is a cold sore on your lip less frightening than one nobody will ever see? I don't know, because the worst part of having a cold sore is that everybody sees your misery.

I was putting on 'abreva' before my friend's wedding because I started getting a cold sore, and one of my friends actually cringed and said 'OMG, when did you get herpes?' I could have slapped her. But my goodness, Abreva knocks mine out before they even get started.

Based on the number of sexual partners I've had, chances are also good that I have HPV. Thus my yearly pap tests to make sure I don't get cancer.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It can be transmitted at birth, it's called perinatal transmission, but that's only really been associated with 2 specific kinds of HPV.

I'm kind of surprised at the attitudes on this thread. I thought we'd progressed beyond calling girls used or old cows because they've had sex. I wonder why it's the number of partners that makes a woman used? Why aren't married women who have lots of sex called the same thing? Their vaginas are probably used a lot more often than a teenage girl who has slept with 2 boyfriends. I'm also kind of surprised no one has pointed out the obvious: boys are the ones passing these diseases on as well. Why aren't we talking about them? I'm hoping one day we can just treat diseases without the moral judgements.

Good points tracy. Like I just said, based on the number of sexual partners I've had (and they don't even run into the double digits), I have to assume that I've caught HPV at some point. And it's largely because most are symptomless. But, it's presumably easier to swab the women than the men, so they focus on the female stats.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Good points tracy. Like I just said, based on the number of sexual partners I've had (and they don't even run into the double digits), I have to assume that I've caught HPV at some point. And it's largely because most are symptomless. But, it's presumably easier to swab the women than the men, so they focus on the female stats.

I personally know 2 women who have had HPV which led to cervical cancer. One is my mom. She got it from my dad, her one and only sexual partner. The other is a friend. She got it from her first partner when she was 18. She's still in the single digits, but that even if she'd stopped at 1 it wouldn't have saved her from getting it. I have friends with much higher numbers who have never tested positive for anything. Sometimes it's just luck, sometimes it's safer sex practices.

I know they focus on women with HPV since it's going to cause them more problems, but there is no reason to avoid stating the obvious: they get it from men. If we're going to seriously discuss this problem, then it's silly to avoid one big part of it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think most young women under the age of 30 have had or do have an STD.

But I really do not think they have had any more sex than other generations. So there is something else going on here. Part of it could be due to our methods of detection. In Victorian times they likely didn't live long enough to symptom either.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Now I wish I could find the article which discussed it... I would have read it around six months ago... how there are only a handful (2 I guess... lol), which cause severe complications in babies because they form in the throat, etc. So those are the ones that stats and research are focused on. But they said that if those HPV can be spread at birth then almost all could, just the others didn't manifest symptoms of concern.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If we're going to seriously discuss this problem, then it's silly to avoid one big part of it.
I have only worked with and spoken of this with women so I can't comment on the male factor.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think most young women under the age of 30 have had or do have an STD.

But I really do not think they have had any more sex than other generations. So there is something else going on here. Part of it could be due to our methods of detection. In Victorian times they likely didn't live long enough to symptom either.

Oh, it's absolutely our detection methods. It's only very recently that we have an actual HPV swab that you can get, along with your pap smear, to see if the virus is present, not just the precancer cells. Before that, only the tiny percentage who got warts or cancer would have been included in the statistic. Now it's the broader group.