U.S. sends warships to coast of Syria, Lebanon

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/29/syria-ship.html

The U.S. navy is sending three ships to the eastern Mediterranean Sea in a show of strength during a period of tensions with Syria and political uncertainty in Lebanon.

Admiral Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters the deployment should not be viewed as threatening or in response to events in any single country in that volatile region. Syria borders the eastern Mediterranean, as does Lebanon.

"This is an area that is important to us, the eastern Med," Mullen said when asked in Washington about news reports of the ship movements. "It's a group of ships that will operate in the vicinity there for a while.

"But it does signal that we're engaged, we're going to be in the vicinity and that's a very, very important part of the world," he added.

The ships include a navy guided missile destroyer, the USS Cole, accompanied by two refuelling ships, according to another military officer who spoke on condition of anonymity because full details about the ship movements are not yet public.

The Cole is equipped to engage in a variety of offensive actions, including anti-aircraft and land attack missions.

The decision to send the ships comes as international frustration mounts over a long political deadlock in Lebanon. The country's presidential election has been delayed 15 times, and just this week the date was pushed back to March 11.

The U.S. blames Syria for the impasse, saying Syria has never given up its
ambitions to control its smaller neighbour.

Michel Aoun, a leader of the Syrian-backed opposition in Beirut, said the ship movements looked like a calculated show of force by the U.S.

"There is no need for it," Aoun said in a televised interview.

The Cole was rebuilt after nearly being sunk in a terrorist attack in Aden, Yemen, in October 2000 that killed 17 sailors aboard. It was recommissioned in April 2002 and went on its first post-attack deployment in November 2003.

Its homeport is Norfolk, Va., but it will sail to the eastern Mediterranean Sea from Malta.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Additional Information:

Hezbollah rejects U.S. ships off Lebanon
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...9/Hezbollah_lebanon_080229/20080229?hub=World

BEIRUT, Lebanon -- Hezbollah on Friday denounced the deployment of U.S. warships off the coast of Lebanon, calling it a threat to the country's sovereignty, but the Shiite militant group said it would not be intimidated by the move.

The U.S. military said Thursday the Navy was sending at least three ships, including an amphibious assault ship, to the eastern Mediterranean Sea in a show of strength amid tensions with Syria and political uncertainty in Lebanon.

"We are facing an American threat against Lebanon," Hezbollah legislator Hassan Fadlallah said on local television. "It is clear this threat and intimidation will not affect us."

Hezbollah is leading the opposition that seeks to topple the U.S.-backed government in Beirut. The group fought Israel in the 2006 war and is believed to be linked to Muslim militants who attacked U.S. forces and diplomats in Lebanon in 1983-84 during the Lebanese civil war, killing about 270.

Attempts to reach other Hezbollah officials were unsuccessful. Hezbollah's media office said there was no official comment.

However, Fadlallah's statements on Aljadeed television gave the scope of the Syrian- and Iranian-backed guerrilla group's views, and he called on the government of Prime Minister Fuad Saniora to reject the deployment. Saniora was expected to address the matter later in the day.

Members of Saniora's U.S.-backed, anti-Syrian coalition said they had no links to the American decision but blamed what they described as Syria's attempts to undermine Lebanon for bringing tensions to such a level.

Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters Thursday the deployment should not be viewed as threatening or in response to events in any single country in the volatile region.

But the decision appeared to be a not-too-subtle show of U.S. force as international frustration mounts in the region over a long political deadlock in tiny, weak Lebanon.
The U.S. blames Syria for the impasse, saying Syria has never given up its ambitions to control its smaller neighbor.

The presidential election in Lebanon has been delayed 15 times. Just this week the date was pushed back to March 11.

The opposition has accused the U.S. of scuttling attempts to settle the political crisis over the president and government that has dragged on for the last 15 months and sharpened since November when Parliament failed to meet to elect a head of state.

Fadlallah said Hezbollah would not be affected by "threats and intimidation and such American military shows which do not affect our choices and decisions."

Stretching its military muscle is "proof of failure" of the U.S., the Hezbollah lawmaker said.

The deployment made the front page of newspapers in Lebanon. The pro-opposition As-Safir daily called the U.S. decision "provocative" and had the headline: "Cole destroyer in Lebanese waters to terrorize the resistance, Syria and the (Arab) summit."

Syria is to hold an Arab summit at the end of next month, and U.S.-allied Arab states such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt are reportedly threatening to boycott if no president is elected in Lebanon by then.

The U.S. deployment brought back memories of U.S. involvement in Lebanon in the 1980s.

In 1983, at the height of U.S. intervention, about 17 ships -- two aircraft carrier battle groups and two mammoth battleships -- patrolled the Lebanese coastline with a Marine contingent deployed at Beirut airport.

A suicide bombing destroyed the Marine base in October 1983, killing 241 American service personnel, and a U.S. Embassy building was destroyed by another suicide bomber during that period. U.S. warships also were involved in shelling anti-government Muslim militia positions.

Lebanese territorial waters are now patrolled by a UN Naval Task Force that is assisting Lebanese authorities under the UN resolution that halted the summer 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.

The last time U.S. ships came to Lebanon was during the 34-day conflict in 2006, with warships taking part in the evacuation of Americans.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Cute isn't it!?

The United States of Torture and Expansionist Economic Intimidation accepts states like Syria and others when they (Untied States) wants to torture people and not get their (United States) hands bloody...but will wield the whip of coercion and threat of military occupation to protect the 51st state....Israel.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Without trashing the U.S., 'just because', I seriously would like to know, (cause I don't), why Syria should be left alone, which would open the way for Hezbollah to become their government. Would that
not be, just standing by to let a terrorist group push their way into a government and become
their political leader. It seems there is no way that they are going to allow a democratic
fair vote take place, so what is the 'other' choice.

I would like to hear some opinions that aren't posted 'just' to take 'shots' at the u.s., but to really address the problem.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Without trashing the U.S., 'just because', I seriously would like to know, (cause I don't), why Syria should be left alone, which would open the way for Hezbollah to become their government. Would that
not be, just standing by to let a terrorist group push their way into a government and become
their political leader. It seems there is no way that they are going to allow a democratic

I would like to hear some opinions that aren't posted 'just' to take 'shots' at the u.s., but to really address the problem.

It is time for Israel to stand up for herself. As long as she knows just a whimper and a flutter of eyelash will bring "Spike" on the run, Chester is going to go out of her passive aggressive way to be the centre of attention. If she realizes Big Brother isn't just a beckon call away, perhaps Israel would compromise with the neighbours, take a few on the chin and prove she belongs.

Woof!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is time for Israel to stand up for herself. As long as she knows just a whimper and a flutter of eyelash will bring "Spike" on the run, Chester is going to go out of her passive aggressive way to be the centre of attention. If she realizes Big Brother isn't just a beckon call away, perhaps Israel would compromise with the neighbours, take a few on the chin and prove she belongs.

Woof!

Israel was formed by the U.S. and others to begin with, so from that point on, I guess they decided to be the overseer of her for the duration, and it is advantagous as they
have another u.s. state right in the middle east, I don't think it's a secret or underhanded, but up front and right out there, and they are proud of it., i'm not saying
I agree with it, but I do understand it, however, that isn't what I was asking. I want
to know why the u.s., (as nobody else cares), should allow Hezzbollah to become Syria's
government, as they are a terorist group, and if the people actually 'want' the existing
government, then they should have the right to a free democratic election, and then
if Hezbollah win that election, so be it.
I'm sure Israel could stand up for herself from here on in, as they are very powerful and advanced, and do much
more for the citizens than any of the arab countries, with their dictatorial governments.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Israel was formed by the U.S. and others to begin with, so from that point on, I guess they decided to be the overseer of her for the duration, and it is advantagous as they
have another u.s. state right in the middle east, I don't think it's a secret or underhanded, but up front and right out there, and they are proud of it., i'm not saying
I agree with it, but I do understand it, however, that isn't what I was asking. I want
to know why the u.s., (as nobody else cares), should allow Hezzbollah to become Syria's
government, as they are a terorist group, and if the people actually 'want' the existing
government, then they should have the right to a free democratic election, and then
if Hezbollah win that election, so be it.
I'm sure Israel could stand up for herself from here on in, as they are very powerful and advanced, and do much
more for the citizens than any of the arab countries, with their dictatorial governments.

Correction: Israel was formed by the UN. Every child has to grow up. Somewhere posted in here is a tribute to Israel's medical and industrial accomplishments and achievements. Why is she still being supported by American taxpayers? Really, Hezbollah might be a good thing for Israel to deal with on her own. Don't forget, Israel, too, is a terrorist state to the other side.

Woof!

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Correction: Israel was formed by the UN. Every child has to grow up. Somewhere posted in here is a tribute to Israel's medical and industrial accomplishments and achievements. Why is she still being supported by American taxpayers? Really, Hezbollah might be a good thing for Israel to deal with on her own. Don't forget, Israel, too, is a terrorist state to the other side.

Woof!
I thought it was the UN, but wasn't sure. I agree with the american taxpayer still supporting Israel, but as much as we complain about the u.s., their taxpayers money
supports more causes in the world than all of the other countries put together, so if
they want to support Israel, it's just another one.

I wasn't referring to Israel concerning Hezbollah pushing their way into Lebanon, it's
the Lebonese people who should decide who they want to lead them, nothing to do
with Israel. If Lebanon had the government they have now, and are happy with them,
that is what they should have, and Israel would never bother them, they would have
no reason to, unless Hezbollah start trouble again.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

If you would re-evaluate what you believe Hezbollah to be you will be afforded a different perspective. Just review what you believe about the USA as well , just for the exercise mind you. It's also usefull to put aside feelings for Canada and judge all in a disinterested manner.The present government of Lebanon deserves an unbiased investigation as well, see how it has stayed in power. It is very difficult not to take shots at the prime suspect (power center) and I mean that in a purely technicle manner.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Woof!

The UN rubber stamped what was very much a selfstarted nation. The Controversy of Zion a free old book I'm just finishing is a very good and interesting read of the history of Isreal up to 1956. The connections and the age of the connections are truely staggering.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
If you would re-evaluate what you believe Hezbollah to be you will be afforded a different perspective. Just review what you believe about the USA as well , just for the exercise mind you. It's also usefull to put aside feelings for Canada and judge all in a disinterested manner.The present government of Lebanon deserves an unbiased investigation as well, see how it has stayed in power. It is very difficult not to take shots at the prime suspect (power center) and I mean that in a purely technicle manner.

Well, we live in a country (Canada) that lists Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, which makes Hezbollah our enemy. Furthermore, we don't negociate with terrorists.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well, we live in a country (Canada) that lists Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, which makes Hezbollah our enemy. Furthermore, we don't negociate with terrorists.

We live in a country that does what it's been paid to do, and that's suck power and wealth whenever that power and wealth needs a little action. Our word is worthless, our reputation fictional and our future ruined because of the company we keep. Canada, when did it cease to exist? Our Mounted Police symbol was sold to Disney years ago and our dignity with it.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

I would remind you that Hitler waged preemptive wars; that is how they were sold the the Germans. He also fought insurgence and battled against "terrorists" in conquered territory like France.

Just because our government tells us a group is terrorists doesn't mean they are. I'm sure in countries we have invaded (Afghanistan) and the USA has invaded that we both are the terrorists. The only difference is that we have fancy weapons and they must build theirs. I find it fascinating that a large distinction between "us" and "them" is the kind of weapons each group uses. As if somehow a homemade rocket is different than an off the shelf model. A weapon is a weapon.

The US has turned back Israel several times as they have tried to launch a preemptive attack against Iran. The pilots were volunteers as they were suicide missions. The pilots were not expected to make it back. What is the difference between that and a suicide bomber? In reality, nothing.

The IMF has reported in internal memos that it preferred democracy because it was the most prone to corruption and allowed them to implement their policy of "bribertization."

We aren't in Afghanistan and the USA isn't in Iraq to support freedom and democracy. We're there to promote corporatism. We're scared to death of freedom.

We have forgotten what freedom is in North America and it seems most of Europe has forgotten too. We aren't willing to pay the price for freedom and we're not going to let anyone else have it either.

Freedom has a high cost and is fraught with uncertainties. Freedom is dangerous and we aren't willing to take the risk. So now we send soldiers and ships to coerce other countries and prevent real democracy so we can push corporatism.

No one would doubt Germany before the 2nd World War had forgotten what freedom was. Now we use their rhetoric, tactics and violate the liberty of other countries for the exact same reasons Hitler did. We are even implementing his "war on cancer" where he tried to stop smoking, outlawed it in public places and government buildings and used taxes as a disincentive!

The only reason the idiot masses think we are spreading democracy is because we are the hegemon. If we didn't have hegemony, that is, if we were being subjected to our own behaviour, we would know what we are doing is oppression of other people and countries for economic purposes. We would fight back and then we would be the terrorists and the insurgence just like we were against Hitler.

Freedom has a high price and we aren't willing to pay it anymore. Mostly because people are so brainwashed with propaganda they haven't a clue what is really going on.

If people don't wake up we're going to enter an era of tyranny the likes of which the world has never known.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Since I joined these boards, I have heard no clear distinction made between freedom fighter and terrorist, minuteman or rebel. What do you suppose King George's people called George Washington's? Really, the only difference between a hero and a war criminal is which side won.

Woof!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I Freedom has a high price and we aren't willing to pay it anymore. Mostly because people are so brainwashed with propaganda they haven't a clue what is really going on.

If people don't wake up we're going to enter an era of tyranny the likes of which the world has never known.

Yes, I agree that is why I am so in favour of Barack Obama, a genuine change for the better, he will be a true diplomat, but not afraid in any way.
I believe that Lebanon should have a democratic vote to elect whomever they want, if
Hezbollah wins that election, then so be it, but they shouldn't be pushing their way
aggressively into power, no one should.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
At first when I saw this I thought, More US gunboat diplomacy" but then I looked alittle deeper. The Hezbollah group is rearming and getting more visible again installing launchers and trucking in military support supplies from Syria which is eveidently a depot for this effort. The real supply points are world wide and even include us donations and supplies for this effort to annihilate Israel. Hezbollah is a group who (depending on your point of view) is either a terrorist organization or a grass roots group of freedom fighters. Which ever is your thought they still have no place in a democratic republic like Lebanon and constantly daring the Lebanese government to do something about them. They are disruptive and pose a big threat to stability and peace in the region.