Greenpeace activists arrested after climbing on top of plane

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/25/greenpeace-plane.html

Four members of Greenpeace have been arrested after climbing atop a plane at London's Heathrow Airport and unfurling a banner protesting climate change.

The environmentalists walked across the airport tarmac and climbed onto the British Airways Airbus A380 after it landed on a domestic flight from Manchester.

The two men and two women wrapped a banner around the tail fin reading: Climate Emergency — No Third Runway.

Greenpeace opposes plans for a third runway at Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport.

Heathrow operator BAA PLC says the four protesters were arrested after about 90 minutes and taken to the airport's police station.

It called the protest "unlawful and irresponsible" and said it's investigating the security breach.

Did I ever mention how much I hate Greenpeace? Sure I'm all for environmental concerns, changes and what not, but these guys continually pull of some really stupid stunts that do nothing for their cause.

Oooo... a whaling ship or fishing boat that hunts dolphins! let's take our giant oil tanker there with all our protestors and attempt to block or board their vessel to protest what they are doing..... Oh crap, they have guns and harpoons, that was great and now we're charged with all sorts of criminal activities.

Oooo.... an airport is going to add another runway to the property in which they own and have every right to do so.... so lets run up on this plane and put our little banner on there... there.... we just made a difference. Oh no.... now the cops came and we're arrested, wow who would have thunk it?

Everytime they try and do something to help their cause, it always involves them doing something not only illegal, but just plain stupid. For an organization called GreenPeace they sure know how to do everything but.

How about they actually start to make more commercials or more to make people aware of the problems on radio, internet or Tv, rather then always looking like a bunch of tools thinking they're making any sort of difference by trespassing on private property or vessels and disrupting what these people have every legal right to do (For most situations that is) and ending up more like the bad guys and a nuisance?

It's stupid stunts like this that don't make me proud of them, or makes them look like they're standing up "To the Man" ~ They remind me of some teenage delinquents looking for attention in the media and using the environment for this end goal.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I saw roughly 8 greenpeacers hanging in harnesses off a bridge in Edmonton, flying a banner protesting the oil sands. It kind of made me laugh, because the clearest view of them was, ironically, from the LRT.... so, they were protesting to the people who are already using a source of public transit which can in theory run without needing heavy oil. Yeah, there's your target audience... the people who are already sensitive to the issue. lol.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The BIG question is....how the hell did they get past security and make it onto the tarmac, let alone climb onto a plane???????

Oh...I know..... they didn't "look" Muslim so they obviously weren't a threat. :roll:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The BIG question is....how the hell did they get past security and make it onto the tarmac, let alone climb onto a plane???????

Oh...I know..... they didn't "look" Muslim so they obviously weren't a threat. :roll:

he he..... perhaps.

"Oh, we're here to de-ice the planes, yeah that's it."

"Oh, well you guys seem like stand-up Brits, off ya go...... HEY WAIT A MINUTE! Get off that plane!! My supervisor and girlfriend will kill me!"

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Question: Where are all the tree-huggers in forest fire season?

Woof!

Kinda makes you wonder.... I mean they could tie themselves to the trees to protect them from the fires and scream at it to go away because they're destroying the environment.

But on a serious note, at least I'm not the only one who has noticed their dumb antics. I believe they were one of the original enviro groups, but they have lost all credibility and seriousness with these sort of stunts. At least other organizations know how to goto the government or their reps to make change, or at least make the public aware of the issue to help force change.

Greenpeace just makes you remember their stupid stunts, not their cause.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Kinda makes you wonder.... I mean they could tie themselves to the trees to protect them from the fires and scream at it to go away because they're destroying the environment.

But on a serious note, at least I'm not the only one who has noticed their dumb antics. I believe they were one of the original enviro groups, but they have lost all credibility and seriousness with these sort of stunts. At least other organizations know how to goto the government or their reps to make change, or at least make the public aware of the issue to help force change.

Greenpeace just makes you remember their stupid stunts, not their cause.

To protect old growth forests from logging up here, a bunch of tree huggers were caught spiking trees. Damned spikes break chains, maim and kill operators - and kill the trees slowly.

Now, you can't harvest deadfall because it provides homes for wildlife. It also provides dry fuel in fire season.

Spring bear hunt....

More to follow....

Woof!

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
To be fair Praxius, greenpeace is made up of humans, like any other organization. So, yes, some may act the fools. But, it doesn't mean there aren't level headed people within greenpeace, going about change the right way.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
To be fair Praxius, greenpeace is made up of humans, like any other organization. So, yes, some may act the fools. But, it doesn't mean there aren't level headed people within greenpeace, going about change the right way.

Perhaps, but I feel that if they're going to be some kind of organization, then they should act like one and have some co-ordination or control over their members. In that I mean they should think these things through and organize something that will actually work, not some lame stunt that only ends up getting them in the paper and arrested.

Either they don't have any real control over their members and what they do, thereby giving them a bad name and allowing them to remain as members, or they indeed had control over these members and promoted them to do this, thereby still being one big, dumb organization for promoting such acts of protest which clearly did nothing.

I bet the airport is still going to go ahead with the additional runway, and nothing really changed, except these guys have one more thing added to their criminal record.

I wonder if they get some form of compensation from their organization for getting arrested or do they just leave them high and dry?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Prax, I think environmental crusaders of the Greenpeace stripe most likely wear a criminal record like a badge of honour. If they weren't individuals who seek greater risks to make their message known, they would probably be in the Sierra Club, or some other tame (by comparison) organization.

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
Tonington.
Cowards yes. What kind of an animal mind goes and puts spikes intrees? Ever see what happens to that hard working man (who by the way pays the welfare they consider a career move), his family if he dies. I do not think you do. I also do not think these useless parasites of society do think.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Not all Greenpeace delinquents put nails in trees do they? Is that what you're saying? If that were actually true, then I would agree.

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
Really that is a bit scarey but even more scarier is that a lot think this way. So you are saying it is okay if a few do this? Men have been maimed and killed by those few that do this, and it is okay by your standard of thinking. Families have lost a lot. How many loggers do you know, or how many affected by this green peace bull****? I know quite a few.
I wear fur.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Tonington.
Cowards yes. What kind of an animal mind goes and puts spikes intrees? Ever see what happens to that hard working man (who by the way pays the welfare they consider a career move), his family if he dies. I do not think you do. I also do not think these useless parasites of society do think.

That action I would deem as being quite stupid.... but I don't see how it makes them cowards.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
To be fair to Greenpeace, trees up here were being spiked by a group who called themselves Northwatch - dedicated to the preservation of Temagami old growth forests.

Cowards? A person would have to be the bearer of some really big ones to come into a town who depends on lumber then walk out into a bush those locals know so well.

Woof!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So you are saying it is okay if a few do this? Men have been maimed and killed by those few that do this, and it is okay by your standard of thinking. Families have lost a lot. How many loggers do you know, or how many affected by this green peace bull****?

Not sure how you get a statement of consent on my part from what I said. I said I would agree with you if all Greenpeace were doing that.

None of my living relatives make an earning from the bush any longer. It's in my roots though. So, I do not know anybody affected by that particular practice.

Clear?