Arrested, caged and DNA tested - for using MP3

tehowe

Feb 8, 2008
Taranna
Arrested, caged and DNA tested - for using MP3

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=98741&in_page_id=34

"A commuter was arrested at gunpoint and had his DNA and fingerprints taken simply for listening to his MP3 player while waiting for a bus."

Imagine this was you. You are now in a DNA database. You may very well have been put on a no-fly list, since there are actually now quotas for those things. How d'you like them apples?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
.....Darren Nixon was surrounded by armed police after his music player was mistaken for a gun.

When a passer-by saw the 28-year-old get out his black Philips machine to change tracks, she panicked and dialled 999.

Idiots everywhere I tell you. That's just as bad as that person a while back who reported a guy with a gun at town hall, when it was a friggin belt buckle.

...... Police tracked Mr Nixon using CCTV. As he got off the bus home from work he was surrounded by a firearms unit, who bundled him into a van.

He was then put in a cell and his fingerprints, DNA and mugshot were taken before he was released.

Although police realised it was a false alarm, Mr Nixon, from Stoke-on-Trent, now has to live with his DNA stored on a national database.

The force will also keep on record that he was arrested on suspicion of a firearms offence.
Mr Nixon said: 'It was unreal – I had a completely clean record before this and have always been a law-abiding citizen.' The mechanic said that, as he got off the bus, he saw a policeman gesture but could not hear what he said.

Mr Nixon added: 'As I got closer, I could see that two of the cops had guns. My heart was racing a mile a minute. One of them was hiding behind a car door, looking down his sight at me, and the other was shouting orders and pointing a gun at me.

'I turned the music off and they were telling me to put my hands up in the air.'

Ok.... and how come that nutter who called the police doesn't get charged for being a blind idiot who's never seen an Mp3 player before?

I'd be sueing someone's ass over this, that's for sure.

.....Even suspects who are wrongfully arrested normally stay on the database. Staffordshire Police said a member of the public reported seeing a man pull a gun from his pocket, grip it with both hands and aim.

A spokesman added: 'An operation was put in place and a man matching the description was detained.'

Yeah, did they even take 2 seconds to see the gun was attached to his head by two earphones, that it probably lit up with a big colorful display as most have these days?

Did anybody else freak out around him on the bus or down the street thinking he had a gun?

^ Yeah look out... he certainly looks vicious and ready to kill.

I think the thing that P's me Off about this.... well two things, is:

#1 - this is the second news report in about a month relating to someone calling the cops on someone for having a gun, when they didn't. They got tackled, arrested, charged, whatever.... and now are on record for just living their lives as they always did.

#2 - Now they're stuck with their DNA on record and marked down that they were arrested for suspicion of possesion of a weapon.

All because some idiot didn't use their damn eyes and took a few seconds to think. The person who called it in and changed their lives forever because of their stupidity and fearmongering gets nothing..... while these people get hell thrown at them.

I guess it could have been worse.... he could have kept walking at them, didn't hear them, reached for the Mp3 player and get shot.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Terror alert raised to Elevated-Orange. Don't try to wave a cab down, might be mistaken for a suicide bomber....

faithlessforeve

Nominee Member
Jan 28, 2008
What the heck is going on over there in the U.K? I have never visited, but it sure doesn't seem like the place I studied about 20 years ago in school.