TORONTO ó Health Canada says it will review a recommendation for more explicit warnings after a Quebec coronerís report citing use of a cotton swab in a Montreal manís death last year.
Coroner Jacques Ramsay says many people have been surprised by the findings of his report released Tuesday, and admits heís only come across four or five similar fatal cases worldwide.
However, Ramsay says the most common cause of perforated eardrums in adults is from the use of cotton swabs. He he believes a larger warning should appear on packaging to stop people from putting the swabs in their ears.
Daniel St-Pierre, 43, died last March 25 in Montreal after developing complications caused by a bacterial ear infection.
Ramsay says St-Pierre likely developed the infection accidentally, piercing his eardrum with a cotton swab while trying to treat a painful earache.