Fatties need not take a menu

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Feb 05, 2008 04:30 AM
Maria Cheng Associated Press

LONDON–Preventing obesity and smoking can save lives, but it doesn't save money, researchers reported yesterday.
It costs more to care for healthy people who live years longer, according to a Dutch study that counters the common perception that preventing obesity would save governments millions of dollars.
"It was a small surprise," said Pieter van Baal, an economist at the Netherlands' National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, who led the study.
"But it also makes sense. If you live longer, then you cost the health system more."
In a paper published online yesterday in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal, Dutch researchers found the health costs of thin, healthy people in adulthood are more expensive than those of either fat people or smokers.
Van Baal and colleagues created a model to simulate lifetime health costs for three groups of 1,000 people: the "healthy-living" group, obese people and smokers.
The model relied on "cost of illness" data and disease prevalence in the Netherlands in 2003.
Associated Press

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
That explains the US Health Care System.....

... err, and it also explains why ours is so expensive, lol.

Screw it, I'd still rather wait for and still get medical treatment, then not at all because I don't have enough money or it costs too much.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Well, let's all just................die............ASAP

Save the planet billions.

:angel8:Everybody wants to go to heaven
Nobody wants to die.
Go figure.

:read2:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's a conspiracy from those "all you can eat buffet "restaurant owners, who are being driven out of business by a bunch of lard arses who try to clean out the tables at every visit.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is a step in the right direction for curing obesity.

Stigmatize and shame them. Refuse them a good meal. Let them stay at home and cry into a bag of potato chips. It's much better for them than being out with friends and loved ones, eating a balanced meal in a restaurant.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think it's about time we cleared out some of these preachy health nuts!

Praxius, Zzarchov, Jim Short, First on the hit list. Perhaps you don't lead as healthy a lifestyle as all that but there's the vengence factor for you. All to save my taxes you see. It's really that simple.

Now I'm off to the park to knee cap a few of those fricken winter joggers. Let's see how they deal with hitting this wall shall we. :lol:

faithlessforeve

Nominee Member
Jan 28, 2008
"Al Stamps, who owns a restaurant in Jackson, said it is "absurd" for the state to consider telling him which customers he can't serve."
...yet the government has already told bar owners who they can serve.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
HAHAHAHAHA..Thats gold....No Menus for fat people...I think its a decent Idea....But...a little rude...

It's not a decent idea at all. Save the sick and let the healthy eat the dangerous stuff? What sense does that make? If the restaurants are making people fat, then ban the restaurants. Don't ban the people who've already gotten sick from them. Then we're just leaving the rest of society open to catch the dreaded food borne illness.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"Al Stamps, who owns a restaurant in Jackson, said it is "absurd" for the state to consider telling him which customers he can't serve."
...yet the government has already told bar owners who they can serve.

the government has regulated the use of alcohol by children. And the government has regulated the public actions of people (I can't have sex on the bar... that ticks me right off). But it hasn't passed laws banning any group of adults from a bar has it?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
the government has regulated the use of alcohol by children. And the government has regulated the public actions of people (I can't have sex on the bar... that ticks me right off). But it hasn't passed laws banning any group of adults from a bar has it?

I know this place. Let me know when you get to Toronto and I'll set you guys up no problem. ;-)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We need more social spending to confront this epedemic, the government is usually pretty good eat determining whats good for the people. We should appoint Liberal Senators to man weight scales at the enterances to restaurants to keep out "the others".

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
nope... tofu in excess amounts is estrogenic and just compounds the problem.

They have positive benefits too!

I suppose they could substitute the fermented soy product then for the non-fermented tofu. Miso soup and celery water :D