Electricity Woman with amazing powers causes lights to flicker when she gets stressed

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
'Electricity Woman with amazing powers' causes lights to flicker when she gets stressed

BY DAVID DERBYSHIRE
2nd February 2008
Daily Mail

The ability to control electricity with your mind may seem the stuff of science fiction.

But one woman claims such a power is part of her everyday reality.

Debbie Wolf says she is one of Britain's growing number of "sliders" - people who believe their presence interferes with household appliances, radios and light bulbs.

She claims she can turn street lamps off, send digital clocks haywire and even defrost her freezer.

Debbie claims she is one of Britain's growing army of 'sliders' - people who believe their presence causes havoc with household appliances, radios and light bulbs

But 38-year-old Miss Wolf admits that she has no control over her power.

"It happens when I'm stressed or if I'm chewing something over in my mind, but not if I'm annoyed," she said.

"It has never been full on whammy all day, but it happens frequently, such as when I'm excited."

Miss Wolf says she once blew a series of street lamps while riding by on a motorbike.

And she uses a wind-up alarm clock because her reaction on waking up in the morning "scrambles" digital ones.

Her supposed ability, dubbed Street Light Interference syndrome - or SLI - by experts, has earned her international fame.

In Japan, she has been likened to heroines from cult Manga comic strips.

She has also been compared to characters from the BBC2 show Heroes - in which ordinary people develop superhero abilities.

Miss Wolf, from Telscombe Cliffs, near Brighton, said: "The light has been faulty outside all the homes I have lived in and I'm always draining the batteries in remote controls.

"I often come back home to find a pool of water on the floor because the fridge-freezer has defrosted."

For a woman who believes she interferes with electrical equipment, however, Miss Wolf has chosen a risky job.

But her work as a pathology support officer at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton has never been affected, she said.

Hilary Evans, who writes about the paranormal and who coined the term "sliders", said Miss Wolf brings about unusually strong effects.

Debbie Wolf has an unexplained ability to make lights go out when she is stressed

"What happened to Debbie has happened to a great many other people, though her experience was more dramatic than most," he said.

Sceptics, however, dismiss SLI as wishful thinking and coincidence.

It is yet to be demonstrated in a contolled laboratory experiment, they argue.

Professor Richard Wiseman, who studies paranormal phenomena at the University of Hertfordshire, suspects SLI is caused by "observer bias".

He said: "Street lamps are going on and off all the time because they are faulty or because their timers aren't set properly.

"People only have to walk under a couple of lamps going off to think that they might be the cause."

Yesterday, the Mail put Miss Wolf 's power to the test.

Sitting in the hospital canteen, she was given a torch, a mobile phone and a radio on which to use her electrical influence - but none responded to her interference.

The lights in the canteen, the battery-powered clock on the wall and the electric tills also continued to operate normally.

But Miss Wolf explained that she has to be in the right mood for her powers to work.

"I have to be completely lost in my thoughts - usually thinking deeply about something that is troubling me."

dailymail.co.uk

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I have witnessed such events both personally and with other people. A common occurrence for me is that occasionally when I turn a light bulb on it will make a loud popping sound and no longer work. I never thought the event had anything to do with me however.

It would be nice to see her claims tested in a controlled environment with proper peer review. I once watched a documentary of chi masters doing all kinds of things in just such an environment. It was impressive, however, I had to dismiss it because the demonstrations lacked peer review. I don't mean any insult to the participants but such reviews are too important to ignore.

That being said I am open to the idea and really would like it demonstrated. The reason is that my mother can not wear a watch. When I was younger I saw her go through many of them. It seemed they would only work for a month and die. She doesn't wear one now. I always suspected that she forgot to take them off when doing dishes or some other chore but I don't know for sure. Anything is possible.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My wife has managed to blow the internal speakers on her laptop through "electrifying" presence.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
That being said I am open to the idea and really would like it demonstrated. The reason is that my mother can not wear a watch. When I was younger I saw her go through many of them. It seemed they would only work for a month and die. She doesn't wear one now. I always suspected that she forgot to take them off when doing dishes or some other chore but I don't know for sure. Anything is possible.

Funny you should mention that about your mother. We all think my mum is radio active. Whenever she walks by a radio, it goes all fuzzy but unlike anyone else I know. When she was visiting me in Germany, I had issues with my wireless lan... it seemed no channel or setting worked properly unless she wasn't there. Most of the time I was forced to connect to a wire.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
When I first started reading this I was thinking I should post and mention that I have never been able to wear a battery-operated watch. The batteries die after a couple of weeks. Always. Wind-up watches, not a problem. So I gave up trying many years ago, too. And I can assure you they were never put in water. I have since heard of other people with this same phenomena. I can't wear perfume either. The scent changes totally when I apply it.

So Scott, if you get a chance, tell your mom she is not alone.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I repel ballpoint pens. The more expensive they are the faster they leave my presence.

Reactions: Scott Free

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Count me among those who send things haywire - I get blamed whenever anything goes wrong with anything lolll - the watch thing though, that's a pain. I can't wear one either, and I wish I could - but they never last. I don't think I'm sending street lights into a tizzy as far as I can tell. It does seem worse if I'm stressed - there have been a couple days at work when I've sent the printer, copier, fax machine, debit/visa machine and the phone all into hissy fits in the same day... try explaining that to your boss. :roll:

I thought this was related to magnetics though, not electricity? hmmm.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Lol, hope she takes tranquilizers before she boards an aircraft.