Who broke the internet?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I was having problems last week accessing some websites. I wondered if that might be the problem, or perhaps some virus attacking networks. But Asia/Middle East doesn't seem like a likely place for the website networks I was trying to visit...

I just blame Vista most of the time, and Windows Live OneCare. Sometimes when I restart, I can't connect at all, even though nothing has changed in my firewall settings, or network settings...Bastards!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I was having problems last week accessing some websites. I wondered if that might be the problem, or perhaps some virus attacking networks. But Asia/Middle East doesn't seem like a likely place for the website networks I was trying to visit...

I just blame Vista most of the time, and Windows Live OneCare. Sometimes when I restart, I can't connect at all, even though nothing has changed in my firewall settings, or network settings...Bastards!
Same problem for me yesterday and today! Google is completely defunct! Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't play a game on line. :angryfire:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The bankers did it. Britney did it. Britney's distraught about Kenyans. Coming Soon, WWIII at theatre near you. We will defeat the evil Islamic Terrorist Hordes of Mid East Asia, and save the world for capitalism and family values and the baby jeeezus.:lol:

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
The bankers did it. Britney did it. Britney's distraught about Kenyans. Coming Soon, WWIII at theatre near you. We will defeat the evil Islamic Terrorist Hordes of Mid East Asia, and save the world for capitalism and family values and the baby jeeezus.:lol:

You idiot - it isn't the bankers or Britney ("Leave Britney alone!"). It's plumbers trying to jack up their rates by plugging up the intertubes. Especially on stat holidays and Sunday nights.

Dontcha know nothing?

Pangloss

Reactions: dancing-loon

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You idiot - it isn't the bankers or Britney ("Leave Britney alone!"). It's plumbers trying to jack up their rates by plugging up the intertubes. Especially on stat holidays and Sunday nights.

Dontcha know nothing?

Pangloss

Ha, Britney's in the plumbers union. She's been a journeyfem pipe cleaner for years Pangloss.;-)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

The problem happening there is more of a physical nature... ie the fibre is cut, where you are having a DNS problem it sounds like.

Tonnington, can you browse the problematic websites via their ip address?

goto start-run-cmd-nslookup www.google.ca

That will return the IP address, if you can browse via the IP, it's definitely a DNS problem, if not your ISP may have a routing issue.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Do a traceroute the to game server to determine if it's a problem with User-ISP or Game server
To use plumber language... it is ph.cked up! Just now it worked - half an hour ago it didn't!
Thanks for your advice... I'm even tooo green to follow that! I'll wait for my son = computer Whizz!!!:lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The problem happening there is more of a physical nature... ie the fibre is cut, where you are having a DNS problem it sounds like.

Tonnington, can you browse the problematic websites via their ip address?

goto start-run-cmd-nslookup www.google.ca

That will return the IP address, if you can browse via the IP, it's definitely a DNS problem, if not your ISP may have a routing issue.

My problems went away after about 8 or 9 restarts, many curse words and a couple puffs. I tried your other suggestions last week, and still notta. Whatever it is, it's not a problem anymore.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
My problems went away after about 8 or 9 restarts, many curse words and a couple puffs. I tried your other suggestions last week, and still notta. Whatever it is, it's not a problem anymore.

That's weird, maybe the tcp-ip stack is corrupted.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It was frustrating. I could visit all the forums, youtube wouldn't work, a lot of the science sites and .orgs wouldn't work, and when I was on forums, I couldn't see some of the images that I had linked on past posts. Some sites didn't work for a day or so after I finally could connect, after all those restarts...