Australia issues travel warning against Canada

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...5/australia_caution_080115/20080125?hub=World

A website run by the Australian government lists Canada as a country where travellers need to be cautious about terrorism, dangerous winter driving and cold weather conditions.

The 'Smart Traveller' website, run by Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, lists Chile, South Korea and Latvia as countries safer than Canada.

Overall, Canada is listed in the second safest category (out of five categories) on the website -- the 'Exercise caution' section. Out of the G8 nations, the U.S., U.K, France, Germany and Italy also are listed in the 'Exercise caution' category.

"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Canada because of the risk of terrorist attack," says the travel advisory.

"Pay close attention to your personal security and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks."

The website says "heavy snowfalls and ice in the winter" can also make driving dangerous.
"The wind-chill factor can also create dangerously cold outdoor conditions," says the warning.

B.C. and Alberta are both listed as being subject to avalanches. B.C. is also listed as "an active earthquake zone."

Meanwhile, travellers heading to Canada between May and September are also told to look out for tornadoes in some areas.

The website further warns about bush and forest fires which "can occur any time in Canada."

The advisory says crime in Canada is comparable to that in Australia, with petty crime such as pick pocketing and street theft occurring at tourist destinations and hotels.

Japan has the safest ranking of the G8 nations, falling into the first category, 'Be alert to own security.' Russia is listed as the most dangerous of the G8 countries, ranking in the third category -- 'High degree of caution.'

On the website for Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, there is no official warning for Australia. However, travellers are advised to watch out for pickpockets and to avoid demonstrations because they could "turn violent."

There are also warnings for backpackers about attacks and travellers are advised not to accept food and drinks from strangers at bars.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Those are pretty much the stock warnings for any country. Read up on Canada's travel advisories (as I have been because I'm planning a trip), and they say essentially the exact same things for every country. They have to, to cover their bases.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You sure you didn't get this as an e-mail joke Praxius? :lol:

Considdering my girlfriend who's from Australia confirmed she read this same report a few days before flying here, I would have to say no.

I mean, it doesn't phase me any... what they warned about was valid. And as my GF mentioned, Australia has similar climate concerns but backwards from us. If it's not cold/windchill from Canada, it's the blistering 40-70 degree surface heat in the hottest areas of Australia.... Both countries are still pretty similar in culture, government, and everything else.... minus climate and driving on the other side of the road.

Oh and their football isn't like our football (And no I don't mean soccer :p )

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Praxius wrote:
"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Canada because of the risk of terrorist attack," says the travel advisory.
Has anyone taken the trouble and inform Ottawa???

"risk of terrorist attack"... my goodness, that is serious! What made us a target for terrorist attacks? Does anyone have an idea?
Oh, yes... I now remember!
A couple of years ago we had this group in Toronto... remember, anyone??? They were going to behead our dear PM!! When asked WHY? The older leader of this terrorist group said.... "Canadian soldiers are in Afghanistan to rape our women!!!"
True or false?

Last edited:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Canada sure isn't the safe country it used to be. Places like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all experience a crime rate higher than any of us would prefer. That's not the mention the dangerous places in the Praries like Regina!

If you'd like to see more information about countries and travel advisories, take a look at http://www.canadiancontent.net/profiles/. The info there is directly from the Canadian government and the info for Canada was provided by US foreign affairs.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Praxius wrote:Has anyone taken the trouble and inform Ottawa???

"risk of terrorist attack"... my goodness, that is serious! What made us a target for terrorist attacks? Does anyone have an idea?
Oh, yes... I now remember!
A couple of years ago we had this group in Toronto... remember, anyone??? They were going to behead our dear PM!! When asked WHY? The older leader of this terrorist group said.... "Canadian soldiers are in Afghanistan to rape our women!!!"
True or false?

So, you would prefer that our domestic and foreign policies be dictated by a bunch of lunatic religious fanatics that would drag us back into the Dark Ages..........

or at least those of us that survived the bombing and beheading campaign........

Okay.....

I'll grant you one thing.....

You are well-named.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Every country on the planet, at any given time on any given day, is at risk of terrorist attack. In any country, you should always monitor the news and stay aware of any potential safety or security risks. This travel advisory is really no different than any other advisory for any other country, regardless of what reasons terrorists may give for their actions.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Over the past decade Canada's incarceration rate has risen only skightly.The rate of violent crime in Canada has been falling since 1991. Last year the homocide rate dropped by 9%. Canadas murder rate is the now the lowest since 1969. But if we are to believe The New Conservative Fascist Government of Canada there's a bloody crime wave of homocidal maniacs sweeping accross the country sexually abusing farm animals and stealing laundry off the lines.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Over the past decade Canada's incarceration rate has risen only skightly.The rate of violent crime in Canada has been falling since 1991. Last year the homocide rate dropped by 9%. Canadas murder rate is the now the lowest since 1969. But if we are to believe The New Conservative Fascist Government of Canada there's a bloody crime wave of homocidal maniacs sweeping accross the country sexually abusing farm animals and stealing laundry off the lines.

Remove the word "fascist" from this post, and I agree with every word.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Every country on the planet, at any given time on any given day, is at risk of terrorist attack. In any country, you should always monitor the news and stay aware of any potential safety or security risks. This travel advisory is really no different than any other advisory for any other country, regardless of what reasons terrorists may give for their actions.

ABSOLUTELY

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
" A terrorist attack could happen any time". "A forest fire could happen any time". "We have heavy snowfalls and ice"................?

This morning I was cut off by a big dump truck.. He was probably a terrorist of some sort.....Terrorized me for a few seconds I can tell you...

If people don't know that we get snow and ice in Canada, they need help.

Hey. At least we don't have 12 different kinds of poisonous snake.......

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
" A terrorist attack could happen any time". "A forest fire could happen any time". "We have heavy snowfalls and ice"................?

This morning I was cut off by a big dump truck.. He was probably a terrorist of some sort.....Terrorized me for a few seconds I can tell you...

If people don't know that we get snow and ice in Canada, they need help.

Hey. At least we don't have 12 different kinds of poisonous snake.......

or 5 metre long crocodiles.....talk about ruin your whole swimming excursion!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My memory is not what it used to be. Weren't there devastating brush fires and forest fires in Australia last year?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Correct me if I'm wrong.........(nah, no one does that here)............Aussieland has a plethora of poisonous spiders and snakes which make the risk of a terraist tak almost a thing to look forward to.

All we got is a Massassauga Rattler, and maybe the odd Brown Recluse on Victoria.

We do have a bunch of criminals of course, name a country what don't eh.

Terrast tack, maybe. Probably not, for a bit. Hope. Perhaps not. eh.

:dontknow: