Picket Planned for Ledger's Funeral

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
According to a news article I read this morning, a group of Baptists who objected to the film 'Brokeback Mountain' are intending to picket the funeral of its recently deceased star, Heath Ledger, to espouse their view that he died because of his participation in the film, and will now be resting in hell.

Of all the disrespectful actions.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
These people have no shame, it's the same people who think it's appropriate to to picket soldiers funerals, going on the belief that it's god's punishment for there being homosexuality in the US.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm pretty sure if you managed to eradicate homosexuality, death wouldn't cease. sheesh people.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Well what do you know, religous extremists have no life.....that's news to me.:roll:

Bunch of uptight jerks who probally molest their own kids with the cross.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
I used to work for the "Baptist Housing Society" when I was nursing, and, they are the biggest crooks ecver! I remember when a resident was nearing death "Pastor Chris" would go in and put a pen in the dying persons hand and ask for their final donation to the church...I hated that!
They had a antenna on the roof that didn't provide very clear TV reception during a storm...I had a group of the old folks switch to a cable company...was administration ever mad at me...turns out they were charging cable prices for the use of the piece of crap antenna...I am NOT a fan of any organized religion....they are criminal, I'd rather be gay!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
According to a news article I read this morning, a group of Baptists who objected to the film 'Brokeback Mountain' are intending to picket the funeral of its recently deceased star, Heath Ledger, to espouse their view that he died because of his participation in the film, and will now be resting in hell.

The families of the soldiers who had this done to them had successfully sued them for many millions of dollars. If these pieces of garbage try to picket Mr. Ledger's funeral, then the same thing should be done to them.

This is definately not a case of them using their right to free speech, it is hate pure and simple. Crap like this just churns my stomach.:angryfire:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
As I said to my cousin who posted the article on his web page... "At least the nut jobs are constantly carting around signs so we can tell who they are."

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
That is outrageous! How disrespectful.
I hope they get trampled by the photographers.

Where did they article say that this was taking place? As I understand the are shipping the body of Heath Ledger to his native Australia. Just curious if this picket was happening in the US or Australia.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It was reported on Fox news on-line, and it was an American Baptist group, so, I'm assuming they anticipated an American funeral. And there may still be one. He wouldn't be the first celeb to have a funeral in the US before shipping his body home for his final funeral.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Your absolutely right Karrie, Thank you.

Ihope they have his funeral in Australia so these nuts don't get the opportunity to picket.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
George Snuffiloffagas.... er... Stroumboulopoulos on The Hour last night made a comment about one guy in paticular who was going to protest at the funeral based on the above mentality.

He in turned posted the guys name and mailing address and requested viewers to mail him all kinds of gay cowboy poses of themselves.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Fred Phelps is most commonly associated with this sort of thing, I imagine he is some how involved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

That's who I immediately thought of as well. Picketing the funerals of returning American soldiers, and blaming America's embrace of homosexuality as the reason for the deaths...I can think of some choice words. I'm glad that the father who sued them won his case. Westboro Bastards!!!!!

Check this video of one of their supporters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PyoUPcobA&feature=related

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Complete idiots, dangerously psychotic, absolutely useless.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I used to work for the "Baptist Housing Society" when I was nursing, and, they are the biggest crooks ecver! I remember when a resident was nearing death "Pastor Chris" would go in and put a pen in the dying persons hand and ask for their final donation to the church...I hated that!
They had a antenna on the roof that didn't provide very clear TV reception during a storm...I had a group of the old folks switch to a cable company...was administration ever mad at me...turns out they were charging cable prices for the use of the piece of crap antenna...I am NOT a fan of any organized religion....they are criminal, I'd rather be gay!

Huh!

I am surprized at that!

Guess there are crooks in every bunch.......but I was brought up in a strictly Baptist family, my Dad was a deacon for decades, I knew several pastors very well, used to go on hunting trips with them, and there was not a crook amongst them........salt-of-the-earth, honest, tolerant, friendly GOOD people. Full stop.

Baptists, BTW, have been at the cutting edge of many social movements over the past 200 years, and have a cultural attachmenty to grass roots democracy..............

If you think I'm defending the homophobic idiots who protest at funerals, please read the previous post......