Bin Laden's son wants to be a peace ambassador

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Omar Osama bin Laden is seen during an interview with the Associated Press in Cairo, Egypt on Friday, Jan. 11, 2008.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080118/bin_laden_080118/20080118?hub=World

CAIRO -- Omar Osama bin Laden bears a striking resemblance to his notorious father, except for the dreadlocks that dangle down his back.
Then there's the black leather biker jacket.

The 26-year-old doesn't renounce his father, al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, but said in an interview there's a better way to defend Islam than militancy.

Omar wants to be an "ambassador for peace'' between Muslims and the West.

Omar, one of bin Laden's 19 children, raised a tabloid storm last year when he married a 52-year-old British woman, Jane Felix-Browne, who took the name Zaina Alsabah.

Now, the couple say they want to be peace advocates, planning a 5,000-kilometre horse race across North Africa to draw attention to the cause.

"It's about changing the ideas of the Western mind,'' Omar said in an interview. "A lot of people think Arabs, especially the bin Ladens, especially the sons of Osama, are all terrorists.

"This is not the truth.''

Omar doesn't criticize his father and says Osama bin Laden is just trying to defend the Islamic world.

"My father thinks he will be good for defending the Arab people and stop anyone from hurting the Arab or Muslim people any place in the world,'' he said.

Omar said the West didn't have a problem with his father when he was fighting the Russians in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Osama bin Laden, believed to be in hiding in the Pakistan-Afghan border region, offered a truce to Europe in a 2004 audiotape and a conditional truce to the United States in a 2006 message.

In November, he called on European nations to pull out of Afghanistan in a message seen by some experts as an effort to reach out to Europe.

However, in a series of messages since last fall, he also has been calling for Muslims to rally around jihad, or "holy war.''

During his epic peace ride, Omar said they plan to ride 50 kilometres a day, with periodic weeklong rests in each country they pass through.

Teams from around the world will be encouraged to join in what the couple envisions as an equine version of the Paris-Dakar car rally.

That rally was cancelled this year due to fears over terrorist threats made by al Qaeda-affiliated groups in North Africa.

Omar, however, said he isn't worried.

"I heard the rally was stopped because of al Qaeda,'' he said. "I don't think they are going to stop me.''

Would they though? I don't think Al Qaeda would try and take pot shots as Osama's son. Who knows. He didn't say anything negative about his father's mission or Al Qaeda, and that might actually have saved his arse.

But it should be very interesting to see what comes from this.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Don't be too hasty to judge this young man or his motives. Remember the many good things that originated from off spring of others whom our society viewed as tainted. Look at the works of the off spring of Stalin, Kushchov and others. Give this young person a chance to show what he can do. I'm personally supportive of his goals.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Don't be too hasty to judge this young man or his motives. Remember the many good things that originated from off spring of others whom our society viewed as tainted. Look at the works of the off spring of Stalin, Kushchov and others. Give this young person a chance to show what he can do. I'm personally supportive of his goals.

Oh I agree. I got nothing against him and if he can make his mission work in the end, so much the better. I mean, I am not any promoter of Osama's actions on 9/11, but at the same time I understand the reasoning and fear of western influence on their culture. He made a very bad judgement call on attacking civilian compounds to inflict damage to the US. But then again, there's also a lot more going on behind closed doors that most are completely unaware of.

I do however think that there will be great risk to Omar's life if he stepped into the US, as I imagine many family members and those who worked on the WTC recovery, as well as Pittsburg and the Pentigon, will have a vendetta against anything relating to Osama.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh I agree. I got nothing against him and if he can make his mission work in the end, so much the better. I mean, I am not any promoter of Osama's actions on 9/11, but at the same time I understand the reasoning and fear of western influence on their culture. He made a very bad judgement call on attacking civilian compounds to inflict damage to the US. But then again, there's also a lot more going on behind closed doors that most are completely unaware of.

I do however think that there will be great risk to Omar's life if he stepped into the US, as I imagine many family members and those who worked on the WTC recovery, as well as Pittsburg and the Pentigon, will have a vendetta against anything relating to Osama.

Yes because WTC families are known killers now. :roll:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Yes because WTC families are known killers now. :roll:

That's not exactly what I said, nor what I ment... learn to read... oh yeah, I forgot about the education system. Then again... known killers? Well it is the US after all... everybody's got a gun and considdering the amount of people who died, I imagine there are some relatives who have criminal records, therefore my statement is accurate. You know you love it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That's not exactly what I said, nor what I ment... learn to read... oh yeah, I forgot about the education system. Then again... known killers? Well it is the US after all... everybody's got a gun and considdering the amount of people who died, I imagine there are some relatives who have criminal records, therefore my statement is accurate. You know you love it.

Nah...you're just another one of those Canadians that like to feel they are superior by bashing the US. You're a dime a dozen here.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wouldn't put it past Bushco to take him out and claim responsibility posing as Al Qaeda.