Government to announce purchase of new Hercules planes

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/01/16/planes-hercules.html

The federal government is expected to confirm Wednesday the $4.6 billion purchase of 17 new Hercules transport planes to replace the air force's aging fleet.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Public Works Minister Michael Fortier will be in Ottawa to announce a deal has been signed with the U.S.-based aircraft manufacturer Lockheed-Martin.

More than a year ago, the Conservative government invoked a national security clause in procurement legislation and negotiated exclusively with the U.S. defence giant.

Delivery of the first C-130J Hercules — the new and upgraded version of the aging carrier — is expected within 36 months.

In 2006, then defence minister Gordon O'Connor launched a rearmament drive to replacement the C-130E and C-130H planes. Most were built more than 30 years ago and have been flown from the Arctic to Afghanistan.

The Hercules, considered one of the world's most successful military transports, can carry 17 tonnes of cargo or 90 soldiers with light equipment. Canada operates some of the oldest C-130s in military service anywhere.

The cost of the new aircraft includes $1.7 billion for a 20-year maintenance package. Canadian defence contractors have been upset that Lockheed would also be responsible for the maintenance contract.

But Public Works has been demanding that 75 per cent of the long-term maintenance work be carried out by Canadian defence contractors, the Canadian Press reported. The other 25 per cent can be done by U.S. firms.

MacKay and Fortier are expected to give themselves up to 12 months to negotiate the support deal, defence insiders told the Canadian Press.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
C-130 (hate to say it) has eclipsed the C-47. I'd be interested in seeing some accident stats for the stretch. Somehow, I think the new remake isn't going to have the same STOL characteristics. Main gear may steer the tail into the ground on a fast get-away. So much for JATO.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
C-130 (hate to say it) has eclipsed the C-47. I'd be interested in seeing some accident stats for the stretch. Somehow, I think the new remake isn't going to have the same STOL characteristics. Main gear may steer the tail into the ground on a fast get-away. So much for JATO.

Wiki has some great stats on C 130 accidents...not all listed are in flight crashes though. C-130s are JATO capable.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In "shortie" configuration, a C-130 is JATO compatible - and what a ride it is! On J-30, main gear is much further forward of the step. That restricts pitch-up on departure as you have minimal ground clearance to begin with. The farther aft hatch location will hurt Herc's combat re-supply capability as it will be shedding load dangerously aft of CofG. Love the six-blade schmiter props and the extra hp, but on the whole the stretch scares me. It's like re-inventing Coke. You can't improve on a real thing.

Woof!

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The STOL characteristics will suffer a bit. The new aircraft has about five hundred more horsepower per engine than the old one and a bit more length and weight, but the wings appear to be the same unless they've added more flap or something.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In "shortie" configuration, a C-130 is JATO compatible - and what a ride it is! On J-30, main gear is much further forward of the step. That restricts pitch-up on departure as you have minimal ground clearance to begin with. The farther aft hatch location will hurt Herc's combat re-supply capability as it will be shedding load dangerously aft of CofG. Love the six-blade schmiter props and the extra hp, but on the whole the stretch scares me. It's like re-inventing Coke. You can't improve on a real thing.

Woof!

Ahhh...so all C-130s cannot be made JATO compatible? I get that now if that is what you are saying.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Just just as food for thought, the above image supplied was posted in relation to the article, and was not in the article itself. Which of those models they are planning to get, I am not sure. It just looked pretty.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Hurray. No more begging for rides.

We still will be begging rides. We still need a decent set of helicopters for our troops over in Afghanistan so we can stop sending them from place to place in LAVs and risking more IED attacks. I believe just recently, we're renting some out from another country, but I can't remember the news article I seen that in.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
The C-130 is another word for capability. Proven capability. Among aircraft this is a solid investment. I see no side doors. Has such an aircraft ever used a rear-mounted howitzer?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ahhh...so all C-130s cannot be made JATO compatible? I get that now if that is what you are saying.

Where do you read that, Eag? C-130 has always been JATO compatible. I'm saying the stretch version will have problems because the hatch step is a lot farther back from the main wheels.

Jim: Google AC-130 spectre

Woof!

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Where do you read that, Eag? C-130 has always been JATO compatible. I'm saying the stretch version will have problems because the hatch step is a lot farther back from the main wheels.

Jim: Google AC-130 spectre

Woof!

I thought that was what you were telling me. Geez! I thought you were saying the larger models are not JATO capable.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The C-130 is another word for capability. Proven capability. Among aircraft this is a solid investment. I see no side doors. Has such an aircraft ever used a rear-mounted howitzer?

The C-130 Gunship has that and more. It's a terror.

eh huh

Dec 27, 2007
You've got to love our aircraft!

Sorry to interrupt your group circle jerk here but you all sound like a bunch of schoolboys masturbating over another piece of war machinery built by the world's biggest military contractor. Can't wait until you people get to experience war firsthand!

That being said, enjoy the video!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a66c065501
An explicitly detailed accounting of a AC-130 Specter Gunship, operational attack on Islamic beligerants, apparently in Afghanistan, post 911. The footage is captured via a thermal imagery spotting camera, and records in very good detail the massive assault on a pre-identified enemy position.

Specific information regarding this aircraft:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

Armament:

-two M61 20mm Vulcan cannons with 3,000 rounds
-one L60 40mm Bofors cannon with 256 rounds
-one M102 105mm howitzer with 100 rounds
-One 25mm GAU-12 Gatling gun (1,800 rounds per minute)
-one L60 40mm Bofors cannon (100 shots per minute)
-one M102 105mm cannon (6-10 rounds per minute)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Just think of the aid we'll be able to get somewhere like Afghanistan, strange, the recieve date for the first one is 36 months out. Are we still going to be in Afghanistan in 2011? Or will we be wasteing Canadians somewhere else for Uncle Sam?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think we're getting 4 globemasters, and the 17 Hercs are just to replace the aging fleet of old Hercs we have. At least that;s what the article implies.

Bout time we get some new equipment. Been using big bros hand-me downs for far too long. Maybe I'll get to fly one of the new aircraft after my schooling.:smile:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I think we're getting 4 globemasters, and the 17 Hercs are just to replace the aging fleet of old Hercs we have. At least that;s what the article implies.

Bout time we get some new equipment. Been using big bros hand-me downs for far too long. Maybe I'll get to fly one of the new aircraft after my schooling.:smile:

Oop.... My bad. Read closer, Wolf....

Schooling? You going military, Ton?

Woof!