1 in 33 men victims of rape or attempted rape

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In reading an article today about a teen testifying against his accused rapist, it was stated that the US Justice Department estimates 1 in 33 men have been victims of rape, or attempted rape, as opposed to 1 in 6 women.

Yet, few come forward, for fear of being perceived as weak.

If you knew a man who had been raped, in this day and age, would you think less of him for it?

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
you know.. years ago when I first heard of this. I thought.. yeah right... whatever.. a man needs an erection... yadda yadda... a woman can be raped forceably..so how can you call that rape... but then I learned mere stimulation in any situation will cause an erection.. personally I would think more of the man for coming forward as in causes of abuse too. No mater who... rape is wrong...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Men are often raped by other men too... no erection needed. I think that's when they REALLY don't want to come forward.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
I think..maybe cause we live here in Canada.. and really have no "rape" charge.. we think of rape as sexual intercourse.. where as here it is defined more as sexual assualt which is many forms of rape.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was under the impression that the definition of rape had been ammended to cover any forced penetration of a person's body (mouth, vagina or anus) with a penis, and any forced penetration of a person's vagina or anus with objects.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I was under the impression that the definition of rape had been ammended to cover any forced penetration of a person's body (mouth, vagina or anus) with a penis, and any forced penetration of a person's vagina or anus with objects.

From what I remember here in Canada, the law still classifies it as sexual assault, the US still uses Rape as the def. I can't remember the reasons, but I believe Sexual Assault as the term helps to broaden the classifications of rapes. Sometimes intercourse wasn't performed in the act of sexual assault, sometimes oral wasn't even performed. Sometimes it could just be touching or exposure to certain things.

Damn, memory is hazzy, but I believe Sexual Assault actually covers more situations then the term Rape in the US.

But then the other issue is the crappy justice system which basically throws rapists back out on the streets after only a couple of months or a silly fine. Sexual Assaults require much more stiffer jail terms and monitoring.

As it goes for males being sexually assaulted, it can happen. Male and Female teachers in school, priests, summer camps, basically any place which puts adult authority and supervision in the hands of those outside of the parents have the potiential of having someone sexually assault them, be that male or female (It all depends on the assaulter's personal preferences.)

Don't forget parents can be a factor in this as well.

And there's also the chance of having a boss, male or female attempt to blackmail you for sex in order to keep your job or get that promotion. It still happens.

Speaking of blackmail, you also have women who like to milk the justice system and basically tell the guy to do what they want, or they'll just goto the police and claim you raped them yourself.... who's word is taken over who's when it comes to the courts? Usually women get more sympathy due to a male's physique being able to defend them.

Sure guys could knock the snot out of some black mailing biatch in some cases.... but then we get charged with assault, if not sexual assault, depending on how she want's to play it out in the courts.

It's more rampant then one might think.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If we'd prefer to call it sexual assault, that's fine.... 1 in 33 men is sexually assualted (though I see no major legal difference between a woman suffering a vaginal rape, or a man suffering an oral or anal one).

How does society go about changing the stigma so that these men feel confident coming forward and seeking help?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's news to you that you wouldn't need an erection to be a rape victim? read the article... that boy didn't need to have a hard-on for what that man did to him.
That's not how I read your post.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Karrie

Ummmmm.... good question. Todays soldiers still have issues trying to come forth about post truamatic stress dissorder, as they're supposed to suck it up, as they say.

For men... well I imagine it's similar in mentality.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How on earth can there be some unwritten code for men to 'suck it up' when it comes to being buggered though? I don't get that. "If you're a real man, you'll take your anal rape in stride"?

I can see it more when it comes to women... hard to prove, often involving manipulations, "why didn't you want it in the first place', etc. But rape upon men from other men isn't rare. Why is it going underreported?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
How on earth can there be some unwritten code for men to 'suck it up' when it comes to being buggered though? I don't get that. "If you're a real man, you'll take your anal rape in stride"?

I can see it more when it comes to women... hard to prove, often involving manipulations, "why didn't you want it in the first place', etc. But rape upon men from other men isn't rare. Why is it going underreported?

Because some still have a stigma that if you have been assaulted by another man, you are in some way gay. This isn't correct, but it's still there for some, depending on their upbringing.

As for sucking it up... you either beat the snot out of the guy for trying such a stunt, as what any man should do, or it's your own fault. (Not my view)

It all boils down to what makes a man, a man. Most make that determination on their own, while others are sucked into what the media and society dictates as a man. Men have just as much self-esteme issues as women, but in different aspects. A man is supposed to be able to fix a car when something happens, we're supposed to know how to survive in the woods and kill our food with our bare hands.... we're supposed to chop off a thumb during construction, swear and keep going. We have men's health magazines and sports showing what a man is supposed to look like, all fit and strong, with washboard abs. We're supposed to be rich so we can support a wife and family..... and if we become divorced, we're supposed to suck that up and not worry about half our income suddenly disappearing. And when we're assaulted in any fashion, we're supposed to fight to the death for our position as a man in society.

Ok some of that might be extreme, but bottom line is a man is supposed to be tough and things are not supposed to affect us in that way. If we're raped or sexually assaulted, then we wern't men enough to defend ourselves.... we're weak.... stigma again.

Just like with PTSD.... others go off to fight, kill and see some horrible things, and some men can handle that, while some are drastically affected by it. But because other men can go through those things without any major affect on our mental state, those that do must be in some fashion or another, weak and not man enough. CBC's The National had a special on this along with an interview of a Canadian Soldier who went through these things and the affects they had on his life as he tried to push them to the side like he was told. He almost killed his friends while drinking and driving, his mother found him pacing back and forth in the bathroom like he was still in Afghanistan shouting orders to people who were not around him....

Then when you focus on the affect of being sexually assaulted at a much younger age, everything that most girls might go through, follow boys.... you're stuck thinking you asked for this, or you're not worth anything, which is why this happened to you, and all that other hoopla. That and only girls are raped, not men... if you're raped, you must be gay.

None of that I agree with, but I've seen these messages in society plenty.