Iran threatens world security: Bush

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/01/13/bush-iran.html

U.S. President George W. Bush said on Sunday that Iran is threatening the security of the world, and that the United States and Arab allies must join together to confront the danger "before it's too late."

Bush said Iran funds terrorist extremists, undermines peace in Lebanon, sends arms to the Taliban, seeks to intimidate its neighbours with alarming rhetoric, defies the United Nations and destabilizes the entire region by refusing to be open about its nuclear program.

"Iran is the world's leading state sponsor of terror," Bush said in a speech in Abu Dhabi, delivered about mid-way through his eight-day Mideast trip that began with a renewed push for an Israeli-Palestinian peace pact — an accord he said whose "time has come."

Chiding U.S. allies who have withheld civil liberties, Bush said governments will never build trust by harassing or imprisoning candidates and protesters. But his rebuke was general, and he did not single out any U.S. partner in the region for oppressive practices.

"You cannot expect people to believe in the promise of a better future when they are jailed for peacefully petitioning their government," Bush said. "And you cannot stand up a modern, confident nation when you do not allow people to voice their legitimate criticisms."

Bush gave the speech on democracy in one of the few countries in the region — United Arab Emirates — where democracy has not been a vital issue, but virtually ignored. In other countries in the region, especially Egypt, the fight between democracy activists and autocratic governments has been much more pointed and controversial.

"Iran's actions threaten the security of nations everywhere," Bush said. "So the United States is strengthening our long-standing security commitments with our friends in the Gulf, and rallying friends around the world to confront this danger before it is too late."
U.S. 'has no desire for territory': Bush

Bush spoke at the Emirates Palace, at an opulent, gold-trimmed hotel where a suite goes for $2,450 US a night. Built at a cost of $3 billion, the hotel is a kilometre long from end to end and has a 1.3-kilometre white sand beach — every grain of it imported from Algeria, according to Steven Pike, a spokesman at the U.S. Embassy here.

Bush said advancing democracy and freedom is the core of his administration's foreign policy and critical to U.S. security.

"The United States has no desire for territory. We seek our shared security in your liberty. We believe that stability can only come through a free and just Middle East where the extremists are marginalized," the president said.

He noted democratic reform in Iraq.

"You have made your choice for democracy and have stood firm," Bush said, speaking to the Iraqi people. "The terrorists and extremists cannot prevail."

Making an equally direct appeal to the Palestinians, Bush said, "The dignity and sovereignty that is your right is within your reach."

In renewing his so-called Freedom Agenda, Bush's grand ambition to seed democracy around the globe, he declared that "democracy is the only form of government that treats individuals with the dignity and equality that is their right."

"We know from experience that democracy is the only system of government that yields lasting peace and stability," he added.

BWAAA HA HA HA HA.... ok sorry....

Yet he was speaking about democracy in a deeply undemocratic country, the Emirates, where an elite of royal rulers makes virtually all the decisions. Large numbers of foreign resident workers have few legal or human rights, including no right to citizenship and no right to protest working conditions.

Some human rights groups have accused the Emirates of tolerating virtual indentured servitude, where workers from poor countries like Sri Lanka are forced to work to pay off debts to employers and have their passports seized so they can't leave.

Officials in Abu Dhabi and the neighbouring emirate of Dubai have said they are taking slow and gradual steps toward reform, both democratic and in labour rights.

In the country's first elections in late 2006, the government hand-picked a group of voters to cast ballots to choose members of a government advisory panel.

Well... there he goes about evil Iran yet again, and it all sounds the same, just like it did before he invaded Iraq, and before he invaded Afghanistan.

Wasn't it not too long ago that North Korea was the big target.... now for some reason we don't hear too much about them.

And when he speaks about Iran "Before it's too late" Before what and who is too late? Does he have some master intelligence this time telling him something bad is going to happen for sure this time?

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Praxius, "Before what and who is too late? "

Does the word atomic bomb mean anything to you? Why do you laugh at democracy? What very clever thing do you know that makes a mockery of peace?

It is unacceptable to Israel that iran should have the bomb. The question is, who is going to spank Iran, and when is it going to happen? The answer is that the U.S. is going to do it for Israel, have Israel stand down, and will stall as long as possible.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Does the word atomic bomb mean anything to you?

Does the fact that numerous reports have already cited that there is no evidence proving they are working on an Atomic Bomb, including the UN watch dogs, and even our best frind above's great intelligence agency? The fact that Bush is continuing on his rhetoric that contradicts his own intelligence reports, kinda raises questions for me. I don't know about you, but one would start to second guess who he acusses of something after so many case-in-point examples of his royal fok-ups.

Why do you laugh at democracy?

I laugh at him spouting the words of Democracy. I have heard from way too many people from the US bitch at me referring to the US as a democratic country, when they would much rather their country be called a Republic. So if the US isn't technically a democracy but a republic, then why is Bush the spokeman for Democracy?

What very clever thing do you know that makes a mockery of peace?

Only his understanding of it.

It is unacceptable to Israel that iran should have the bomb.

Well I guess that's just too bad then... they're not Israel, and Israel has no jurisdiction over Iran and what they do, which also goes for the US while we're at it. Israel shouldn't have the bomb either, as they have already expressed their ability to show military responsibility.

Oh and once again.... THEY ARE NOT DEVELOPING A BOMB! How many friggin times must this be explained to people?

You have no evidence proving they are in development of a nuclear weapon, and even your own governments and hinch men who are claiming they are, their intelligence states otherwise.

Iran is seeking nuclear energy, which by the contacts they signed, they have every right to seek for their country.

The question is, who is going to spank Iran, and when is it going to happen? The answer is that the U.S. is going to do it for Israel, have Israel stand down, and will stall as long as possible.

Then the US can do it alone. If my country follows the US into this moronic fear mongering over something that either doesn't exist, or doesn't have any evidence proving it, then that'll be the next big blunder of the century.

Man there sure are a lot of blunders so far.... and it's only been 8 years in. We're starting off well :-?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Eight solid years of "Capitalist War" instigated by capitalist for capitalist, and only ninty-two more years of capitalist war promised to rid the world of terroism when capitalists are the terrorists. How do we expect that to work eh? It's not the rich capitalists dying though, it's the ordinary man women and child as usual so there's no real need for capitalist to stop it right. This is what it means to compete in todays global market and the only possible winners are the damn bankers, it a suckers bet right. There's one or two hundred thousand born every day eh. And just that many die. How efficent can we get? Just wait and see.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Praxius, "Before what and who is too late? "

Does the word atomic bomb mean anything to you? Why do you laugh at democracy? What very clever thing do you know that makes a mockery of peace?

It is unacceptable to Israel that iran should have the bomb. The question is, who is going to spank Iran, and when is it going to happen? The answer is that the U.S. is going to do it for Israel, have Israel stand down, and will stall as long as possible.

What? Does Israel want to be the only state in the region with atomic weapons? Who cares what Israel wants? Israel doesn't much care what everyone else wants.

In any case, building a nuclear reactor is not building an atomic bomb. Nuclear reactors are used to generate electrical power all over the world. Why not Iran?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Eight solid years of "Capitalist War" instigated by capitalist for capitalist, and only ninty-two more years of capitalist war promised to rid the world of terroism when capitalists are the terrorists. How do we expect that to work eh? It's not the rich capitalists dying though, it's the ordinary man women and child as usual so there's no real need for capitalist to stop it right. This is what it means to compete in todays global market and the only possible winners are the damn bankers, it a suckers bet right. There's one or two hundred thousand born every day eh. And just that many die. How efficent can we get? Just wait and see.

Well, the more poor people you kill, the more of their money can stay in the banker's pockets. Smaller global population means more people get rich.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Foreign Affairs minister visits Mideast for first time By ANDY LEVY-AJZENKOPF, Staff Reporter Thursday, 10 January 2008
Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier, left, is scheduled to make his first visit to Israel this week.
The six-day trip – Jan. 9 to 14 – will see the minister meet with “a range of high-ranking officials, political leaders and civil society representatives,” his office said in a statement.
Bernier will also be visiting the West Bank, Saudi Arabia and India.
The trip follows Canada’s December pledge at the Paris conference of $300 million in aid to the Palestinian Authority over the next five years as part of a world effort to help continue the renewed Middle East peace process begun in Annapolis, Md., last November.
At the time, Moshe Ronen, national chair of the Canada-Israel Committee – the official representative of the organized Canadian Jewish community on Canada-Israel relations – asked Ottawa to ensure that any funds designated for the PA come attached with “careful monitoring and measures to ensure accountability and transparency.”
Bernie
http://www.cjnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13852&Itemid=115

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
What? Does Israel want to be the only state in the region with atomic weapons? Who cares what Israel wants? Israel doesn't much care what everyone else wants.

In any case, building a nuclear reactor is not building an atomic bomb. Nuclear reactors are used to generate electrical power all over the world. Why not Iran?

They don't want them to have toasters either, which everyone knows can be used as a WMD of bread right.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Praxius, "Does the fact that numerous reports have already cited that there is no evidence proving they are working on an Atomic Bomb, including the UN watch dogs, and even our best frind above's great intelligence agency?"

The IAEA inspections have been thwarted. This particular act is enough to incite sanctions, then war.

Praxius, " The fact that Bush is continuing on his rhetoric that contradicts his own intelligence reports, kinda raises questions for me."

Bush has contradictory intelligence and is forced to pick and choose. He chose badly on Iraq. There is a possibility of choosing badly on Iran. Iran may have thwarted the IAEA expressly to vex the U.S. for reasons that I'm not a good enough conspiracy theorist to know, except I know that Saddam did the same. He his a nuclear program that was a joke and couldn't build a bomb in a hundred years.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The IAEA inspections have been thwarted. This particular act is enough to incite sanctions, then war.

That as well, is a load of crap. Their reports said that they only found trace amounts of uranium being produced but it was no where near any quality to produce a nuclear bomb, but rather, the equivilant to energy output. Their report was concluded and completed, much like the ones for Iraq.

Oh true, they didn't permit them to go into every place they wanted, because some things are restricted due to national security. Something I believe the US would understand. Much as the reason why they were not permitted into some places in Iraq.... National Security, and ligitamate reasons at that.

Tell me something? If I sent in a bunch of UN watchdogs into the US to check to see what kind of nuclear technology they are trying to create, how much do you want to bet they won't get access to all locations they request, due to "National Security?"

Do you possibly see the major twist and hypocracy in this approach?

Oh.... ok... Therefore since they were doing exactly what the US or any other country would do, they deserve, as you put it: "This particular act is enough to incite sanctions, then war."

It's the mentality like this that's got everything so fuct up right now in the world, and it's mentality like this that's going to kill the majority of the human race in the not so distant future.

Bush has contradictory intelligence and is forced to pick and choose. He chose badly on Iraq. There is a possibility of choosing badly on Iran. Iran may have thwarted the IAEA expressly to vex the U.S. for reasons that I'm not a good enough conspiracy theorist to know, except I know that Saddam did the same. He his a nuclear program that was a joke and couldn't build a bomb in a hundred years.

Then don't you believe the original reports? As well as the US's Intelligence report that said that Iran discontinued any nuclear weapons program a few years ago? If History is starting to repeat, do you not think it is wise to learn from past mistakes before we repeat?

Do not act in military fashion until solid evidence is proven. Visual evidence, audio evidence, captured by various allied nations in co-ordination to keep transparency over the evidence provided. It's not difficult. Get some UK, US, and perhaps some of us, if we have one (It's so mysterious.... OOoooo8O) and do some old Cold War stuff and show what's really going on.

It's not hard. They did it against the Soviet Union for decades, I'm sure they can do the same with Iran.

In fact.... Go get Austin Powers and James Bond together to find out what's going on. I'm sure it'd make a great Comedy.

But going around and bullying around other countries and blowing them up because they don't do what you want them to, ain't gonna work.... Iran doesn't have Gangsta High Schools like the US to understand that tactic. They'll shove their Finger right at the whole thing, just as I would.

And whatever happened to attacking and invading a country, only when they attack or invade a country? That's what peace is.... Not using war to get what you want.... That's what Hitler tried to do and they rest of the world would only put up with it for so long.

As well as Nepolean, and Khan, Not just trying to relate to Hitler, but anyone who invades to get what they want, for whatever reason (Territory/Oil/Making it a country you can get money from)

But who's the one who's been invading country after country in the last 8 years? And now talking about invading Iran to make it a tripple threat.

North Korea, Russia and many other countries are starting to get a little pissed that their allies are getting invaded when they request the US not to.... They will only put up with it for so long. ..... The shoe is on the other foot.... If Iran is invaded... World War III will start. I was born and raised with a father in the military, who collected an entire basement full of WWII uniforms, weapons, tools, medals, flags, everything. Every part of my immediate family has operated in some form of the forces, including myself. I know pretty well how WWII started, and I know pretty well where we are going as we speak. I maybe young, but I'm not stupid. I also grew up in the Pictou County area of NS, and there's a lot of herritage there with the great wars and what the Highlanders achieved.

If Bush is allowed to continue with this two-faced BS of lieing to the Media and Public and doing another behind our backs, then I would suggest everyone getting out of any major city and port. That's not a conspiracy, that's just plain logical common sense of one's past.

Added:

And yes, I am also aware that my parents were worried that the Cold War was going to be WWIII.... but the Cold War didn't play out anywhere near as this when it comes to similarities. The only problem, is we see ourselves as the good guys, continually believing the propaganda (Yes, it still exists) and that we could never do something like that.

We wouldn't invade countries to make them our own, heavens no! We'll just make them similar to ours to cover our ass.

Sure there's no concentration camps, that we know of..... although there are those "terrorist detention centers" Hmmmm... but also, let's not forget....WWIII hasn't start just yet. There's still time. This time it'll be either Muslims or Christians being killed off.... possibly both.

To be perfectly honest with my opinion: I'm ashamed to be allied to the US. But hey! That's the lovely thing about freedom of speech, Eh?

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The IAEA has never been to Dimona in Isreal to inspect a bonified illeagle nuclear program by a verified rogue terrorist state that exists in defiance of Nuremburg law and UN orders and commits genocide with impunity and colusion of the western capitalist states including Canada which has today given the quisling PLO thirty-million canadian tax dollars to obey the orders of Isreal and America it's tormentors. Make you proud to be Canadian-------NOT.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
"Bush gave the speech on democracy in one of the few countries in the region — United Arab Emirates — where democracy has not been a vital issue, but virtually ignored. In other countries in the region, especially Egypt, the fight between democracy activists and autocratic governments has been much more pointed and controversial."

Good for the Gipper! I am surprised.

Yes #juan, Israel does want to be the only one with the bomb. EVERYBODY who wants the bomb would like to be the only one.

Praxius, it is somewhat premature to begin the evacuation of North America.

Iran is a Hell hole compared to the U.S. or Canada, or any western democracy you care to name, and the U.S. is doing as little as possible about it, except when they get in the American hair in Iraq. Bush would build a democratic bulwark and beacon (with oil fields) beside Israel and in the midst of the middle East. This is a hope near so high as to be messianic. It remains too soon to say how it will turn out, but I fear that Bush does not have what it takes to stay the course. Our next villain may be a woman or a black man. Bush can't wrap this thing up. Iraq is a nut house.

Meanwhile, America's economy is strong, some complaint about slowdown. They hate slowdowns. Doesn't hurt tourism or entertainment, beer sales or lifestyle, but it puts the clamp on expansion, and Americans love expansion. Americans are more rich and comfortable and safe than they've ever been before. Americans are under no stress in general, they're on their game and generally winning. Half the world wants to move to America. We could abandon our cities for free by opening the gates of immigration and taking the immigrants' boats on the backhaul to Hell.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Praxius, it is somewhat premature to begin the evacuation of North America.

The US hasn't invaded or attacked Iran yet have they? Didn't think so, stop jumping the gun on what I say, or at the very least, read what I say.

Iran is a Hell hole compared to the U.S. or Canada, or any western democracy you care to name, and the U.S. is doing as little as possible about it, except when they get in the American hair in Iraq. Bush would build a democratic bulwark and beacon (with oil fields) beside Israel and in the midst of the middle East. This is a hope near so high as to be messianic. It remains too soon to say how it will turn out, but I fear that Bush does not have what it takes to stay the course. Our next villain may be a woman or a black man. Bush can't wrap this thing up. Iraq is a nut house.

Whether or not their nation is a hell is irrelevent... It's their Nation to decide not yours or mine.

And yes, I'm sure that's all Iran really wants... all the gangs, drive bys, gangsta rap, drunk ass celebrities and porno valley all through their country... all the while their money goes directly to the US. Sounds lovely. You do realise these guys are an Islamic State? Their culture is not ours, and we are in no position to tell them we're better. We have enough BS and problems of our own in our own nations to go around claiming we're so great.

Meanwhile, America's economy is strong, some complaint about slowdown. They hate slowdowns. Doesn't hurt tourism or entertainment, beer sales or lifestyle, but it puts the clamp on expansion, and Americans love expansion. Americans are more rich and comfortable and safe than they've ever been before. Americans are under no stress in general, they're on their game and generally winning. Half the world wants to move to America. We could abandon our cities for free by opening the gates of immigration and taking the immigrants' boats on the backhaul to Hell.

Are you serious? They're in a Recession / Border Line Recession (Depending on who you ask) ~ They're having millions of house foreclosures, people loosing their homes, there's gangs and violence continually rampant in almost every State in the US, their prisons are over crowded, their education system is the craps, they have a higher teen pregnancy ratio then most 3rd World Countries.....

Need I go On? I suggest you check some recent news. This isn't 1983 anymore.