Dead Hearts Beat Anew

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
PARIS (AFP) - In experiments that would make Dr. Frankenstein jealous, US scientists have coaxed recycled hearts taken from animal cadavers into beating in the laboratory after reseeding them with live cells, according to a study released Sunday.

continue article...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Having just lost an uncle as he waited for a transplant, this was especially good news to me. If only we could make more organs viable.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
I agree.. amazing BUT I don't really think I would really want to be the recipient of a animals heart. or..etc.. it was bad enough having a blood transfussion. <shudder>

ok..so I didn't read the whole article....lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Given the options... looking at my husband and my kids and my siblings and friends from my death bed.... I think I'd take just about any old chunk of meat they'd be willing to sew into my chest if it meant I could live.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I agree.. amazing BUT I don't really think I would really want to be the recipient of a animals heart. or..etc.. it was bad enough having a blood transfussion. <shudder>

ok..so I didn't read the whole article....lol

That was obvious.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Given the options... looking at my husband and my kids and my siblings and friends from my death bed.... I think I'd take just about any old chunk of meat they'd be willing to sew into my chest if it meant I could live.

Count me in too.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
roflmao... from what I have read about gerryh..unless he of course had a friend.. that wasn't known as stubby.. I am sure I would be too much for him...lol..

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Since no one can predict when they're born what their future critical health issues will be, and given the advancements being made in science, those having children today who can afford it should consider cord blood banking. Cord blood has the potential to be used for any organ. Cryopreservation isn't cheap but there is only one shot at getting it. Once the cord is gone it's too late. I wish I knew more about the option when my daughter was born. We had the cord donated to research but the researchers didn't tell us about the banking option.

http://www.ivf.ca/phollands.htm

Last edited:

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
can you do that in Canada too?? I remember years ago when my kids were born it was a US thing only....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My daughter's 7, and I couldn't get personal storage when she was born. I couldn't even donate when my son (6) was born, because we lived too far out of town, and by the time the midwife had taken care of me and made sure I was good, and gotten the cord to the hospital, they wouldn't have taken it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Inception and CellsForLife are the main players now. They will generally arrange it through any hospital in Canada. AABB Accreditation is the standard that you want met for this service. It means they have gone through a rigorous inspection and are periodically inspected to meet the highest industry standards. Here's the Canadian list.

http://www.ivf.ca/cord.php

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't think they make any promises for keeping it past age 18. I think they aren't clear how many years it can be stored but they have enough data to know it is capable of at least 18.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So long as they replace your heart with one designed with your own DNA then I got nothing to complain about. When they start ripping the organs out of dead people without permission I have an issue with.

Oh but you don't use your organs after you die, so why be selfish?

Because it's my damn body and I'll let it rot if I want to. With such unknowns about the afterlife, all I need is to have a part of my body living beyond myself, then I'll have no choice but to haunt their asses until they die so I can continue on to the afterlife.

Am I full of crap? Prove me wrong. :p

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
maybe not so full of crap... but ya.... selfish....

I'm only selfish if I agree to have a transplant for my own health and yet still did not donate in return.

Since my principles at this stage in my life are not for donations, I in turn do not accept donations. If my body gives out, then so be it, that's my natural life.

I don't understand why people are so afraid of death and want to live for as long as they can, by grabbing 2nd hand body parts from other people like a used car. We all have to go sometime, if you haven't been able to do everything in your lives you wanted to yet, then you never will.

And I'm not some morbid person waiting for death or feel crappy about my life. On the contrary. I have lived a lot longer then I have expected myself to.... every day now is a bonus to me. I have accepted my life for what it is and what it will become.

But also I'm not about to be delusional and say that my mind will not change later on in life. (Which is also why I pointed out my principles in my current stage of life) People change their minds. If for some reason my situation changes and I need a donation, then it would only be logical to donate that same organ back when I'm done :p

Yes, that's right, I'm one evil sonofabitch HE HE HE HE.... *starts fire*