Backlash Grows in Camrose Cat Case

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
While I understand people's anger and frustration, some of the violence suggested, the hate speak, and the idea of targeting the families of these kids, just doesn't sit right with me. I applaud the man who started the discussed facebook group, for trying to get it taken down.

edmontonsun.ca

Web backlash continues to rage against the Camrose teens who allegedly nuked a cat - with one Facebook poster urging people to cover the lawns of the four accused with microwaves.
The boys - three aged 15 and one aged 13 - have been charged with torturing and killing a cat in relation to two consecutive burglaries at a Camrose home on Dec. 29 and Dec. 30.
In addition to several hate groups directed at the teens, an event was created yesterday called the "First Annual Camrose, Alberta, Microwave Dropoff," scheduled for Dec. 30, 2008.
REMINDER OF THE INCIDENT
"The dropoff should be dealt with as a gift," wrote the poster, who didn't want his name printed. "A gift to the accused as an ever constant reminder that the town of Camrose, Alberta has not forgotten about them."

fctAdTag("bigbox",MyGenericTagVar,1);
When contacted by Sun Media yesterday, the event's creator explained that he wasn't condoning violence with the event.
"The main purpose was to provide a mindful alternative to what people were writing on the wall of the group, which included violence, and torture. These kids need help, not restitution from a vigilante public.
NO ILL-WILL FOR FAMILIES
"It started as a passing thought. The next morning, I thought about the possibility of things going horribly wrong and tried to remove the event but it just ended up still being active yet abandoned," he said.
"I don't want any harm to fall upon the families. Not at all. I'm still awaiting the deletion of the event from Facebook."
One of the four accused made an appearance at the Camrose courthouse yesterday.
He had been in custody for breaching probation after an earlier incident where he lit a sibling on fire.
The other three accused will make their first appearances on Feb. 7.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
a prime example of why "young offenders" names are not supposed to be released to the public.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just don't get it. It almost seems that people get MORE angry because it's youth, than they would have if it was an adult who'd done it. Like it's more of a betrayal or something. If an adult had done this, no way would people be out targeting their parents' homes or questioning their upbringing in the same manner.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I just don't get it. It almost seems that people get MORE angry because it's youth, than they would have if it was an adult who'd done it. Like it's more of a betrayal or something. If an adult had done this, no way would people be out targeting their parents' homes or questioning their upbringing in the same manner.

Exactley, these are kids....doing a VERY stupid thing.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula

Perhaps it's this way because these kids are just beginning their life. So for them torturing a cat is just the beginning. And many people would think - if it's torturing a cat now, what would be next? The natural thing is to suppose that they will only be getting worse as they grow older. Any adult, no matter how cruel, is an "end product", so to say. And kids are developping...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think what people don't understand is that torturing AN animal doesn't mean you can draw any parallel between these youths and a horrid outcome in their adult years.

You're right in saying that youth are developing, and this is a possible symptom of what they're turning into. But it's also a possible halting point. Why people are assuming there's a 'next' is a bit of flawed pop-psychology.... serial killers start out abusing animals. But they don't start out like this. A serial killer would start out more hands on. They'd start out secretive. They wouldn't start out with buddies, and it takes a pattern of animals, plural, for it to be a sign of where they're developing to.

It's just as easy, and our criminal system does it all the time, to assume that, because as you say, they're developing, it's possible to intervene now and prevent a bad outcome. I can guarantee that all the things people are advocating... trying them as adults, harassing their families... are not going to help create better citizens of these boys.