Cuckolded husband awarded damages

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
750,000 dollars in damages for cuckolded husband

Mon Jan 7, 7:08 PM

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A Mississippi businessman must pay more than 750,000 dollars in damages to the man whose wife he wooed away, after the US Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal in the case

In 1997, Sandra Valentine began working for Jerry Fitch, a wealthy realtor and successful businessman.
When she gave birth to a daughter two years later, it quickly became apparent that her boss -- not her plumber husband -- was the baby's father.
The couple divorced a short time later, after legal proceedings in which she acknowledged an adulterous relationship with Fitch, whom she tied the knot with a short time later.
But armed with the admission of adultery, betrayed ex-husband Johnny Valentine decided to sue Fitch, based on an antiquated Mississippi state law permitting a cuckolded spouse to seek damages for "loss of society, companionship, love and affection," as well as "the loss of sexual relations."
About a half dozen US states have similar "alienation of affection" laws on the book.
The Mississippi Supreme Court upheld a jury verdict awarding some 750,000 dollars to Valentine.
Fitch, who decried the verdict as unconstitutional, "antiquated" and based on "medieval notions" about marriage and property, appealed to the Mississippi Supreme Court which refused to overturn the verdict.
His appeal of last resort failed on Monday when the US Supreme Court declined to take up the case.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Wonderful!

The possibility of human bonding and potential for immeasureable developing personalities and progeny is worth a specific sum. We're really closing in on the actual true value of the human being. It used to be gasoline for under a buck a liter but we're refining our objectification of human "being" more and with greater enthusiasm than ever before....

Who said progress wasn't possible..?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've been waiting and wondering when more people will start seeking fiscal recompense from individuals who willingly help (and in some cases even seek) to dissolve marriage contracts.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wonderful!

The possibility of human bonding and potential for immeasureable developing personalities and progeny is worth a specific sum. We're really closing in on the actual true value of the human being.

Not really. We're closing in on the actual value of a marriage contract, not a human being. It's not much different from alimony, where courts assess the value the marriage brought to the couple.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

Who get's married Karrie? Isn't the idea of marriage a union between two people? Or am I wrong about that? If "marriage" exists as contract, can one marry a car, can one marry a house.... If the marriage contract has a "value" are you suggesting that the contract exist irrespective of the signatories to that contract?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

Who get's married Karrie? Isn't the idea of marriage a union between two people? Or am I wrong about that? If "marriage" exists as contract, can one marry a car, can one marry a house.... If the marriage contract has a "value" are you suggesting that the contract exist irrespective of the signatories to that contract?

Not irrespective of the signatories.... they're a factor into its worth (ie, a marriage where a husband brings home more 250 000 a year results in more alimony than one where the husband makes 100 000... is that wife worth less as a human being?). But it definitely isn't defining of their worth. If it were, then all broken homes would bring about the exact same amount of child support, the exact same amount of alimony, or in this case, the exact same amount of 'cuckold appeasement'.

It's no more defining of true human worth than the size of one's home, or the wage one earns. While both may be based on your potential, neither makes you worth more as a human being than the child who lives in a mud hut and sews clothes together for a penny a day.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Are you saying MickeyDB, that it should be perfectly acceptable to launch emotional abuse on people without penalty? You seem to be applying a value to love and emotion as well, except your value is "Worthless".

Lets think about it this way, she intentially inflected emotional abuse on her husband. She did not merely change her heart and divorce him, the human heart is a funny thing and I would disagree with paying him damages if fell in love with this other man.

She lied to and leeched off of her husband for AT LEAST 9 months while she was pregnant, then on what should be a happy day for him, due to her actions and it became one of his worst.

If she had had a change of heart and said "Im sorry hubby, I've met someone else, bye" thats one thing, but this was purposeful emotional abuse, she knew she didn't love her husband anymore but kept leeching off of him.

Then lets look at this other man, he purposefully went out of his way to harm this man. Its not that he fell in love with a married woman and she left her husband to marry him. No, he nailed a married woman and didn't tell the husband for his own selfish reasons, inflicting greater harm on the man.

If this was just "Star-crossed love" and bad news for the old husband, then the ex-wife and her new man should have gotten togethor AFTER the wife left the husband.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Alienation of affection law? The cost of dishonesty?
Canada doesn't have a law like this but it might be a good idea....If only to keep people from jumping in and out of marriage on a whim.

The plumber presumably entered the marriage in good faith and long before death did them part, the wife hops in bed with her wealthy boss and has the boss's child.

$750,000.00.........Sounds reasonable to me.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is more about punishment than putting a price love and affection or human beings. This is the plumber's wife who traded up to a wealthy business man and thought that it was done with. This is the scorned man not taking it so easily.

He was humiliated. Now it was time to hit back.

He won!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Karrie

The argument in divorce court has always been based on the contribution that the wage earner's bring to the family unit. A woman is entitled to benefit from the wages a man earns or a man is entitled to the wages a woman earns, but do you honestly believe in a system of male dominance where a "glass ceiling" exists to limit the earning potential of a woman reflects an equality before "law"d? I'd argue that policies and attitudes that regard the income, the assets and even "future potential earnings" of one member of this contract as equal is fundamentally flawed. It becomes a question of "worth" not in the sense of shared responsibility to parent or raise a family but in the "reality" of the possibility of the male having greater potential earnings than the female....

I'm of the opinion that our "justice system" isn't just when we embrace discrimination against women in the workplace and we allocate or at least adjudicate the "worth" of people on the basis of an intrinsically flawed system.

What do you think the "settlement" would or should be if the partners in a homosexual relationship (gay marriage) brought the same "alienation of affection" song and dance to the courts?

Our systems of justice and social perspectives aren't ruled by appreciation for the person as a person, but instead are obviously tied to earning potential assets and the metric of dollars. I'm simply suggesting that we take the "meaing" of this kind of judgment to its logical (dollar driven) conclusion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What do you think the "settlement" would or should be if the partners in a homosexual relationship (gay marriage) brought the same "alienation of affection" song and dance to the courts?

What should the settlement be? What are the wages, etc, of the couple in question? Sorry, but I really can't say what it should be without knowing a whole ton of details that don't exist in an imaginary scenario. SHOULD there be a settlement? Definitely. WOULD there be in an American state? Slim chance IMO.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
DB raises some good points to ponder. I agree about shared responsibility with raising kids in divorced households. Financial, time with the kids, etc. Although this case is different because the child is not his it should be a clean case of dividing everything 50/50. Obviously no alimony for her. But morals aside...he wants to punish the two lovebirds. That is what it is all about. He wants to make them hurt two. He got the woman, has the kid, is a millionare...he got it all.

Not so fast sayeth the Plumber.

But on a different note I wonder how it would be if the plumber and his ex had kids of their own. Any money that he would have had to pay her for child support obviously would be her spending money. You would have a plumber giving 30% of his income to a millionare. That would be hard to swallow.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
But on a different note I wonder how it would be if the plumber and his ex had kids of their own. Any money that he would have had to pay her for child support obviously would be her spending money. You would have a plumber giving 30% of his income to a millionare. That would be hard to swallow.

If she's the one who ran off and cheated on him with the rich guy, regardless if the kid was his or the rich guys, she broke the marriage contract and shouldn't get a lickin dime from her ex-husband, infact, she as well as the rich bugger should be paying him for not only his loss in marriage, but the money he put into feeding and clothing this rich guys bastard child while the rich guy didn't have to do anything except put out.

Whether the guy is a millionare, more or less, 750,000 would do me for a while for my troubles.

So a future note to any ladies which plan on going out with me and then screwing me around..... you better make it a good one.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"So, ah, honey, c'mere a minute ok? I got an idea8O

No, no, this here one's a goodun. Sure fire. C'mere, jeez, Young and the Restless is on again at 5.

Okay, so ya know ol Crumper Del Crump, the rich ol bastard who's always grabbin yer ass at the A&P?, well I want ya to bang im. NONONONONO, serious, C'mere.........awwww jesus I get one good idea and you.............ok.

So you do the ol sh!t regular like, get him to really get one on for ya, then divorce me, and marry him. I SUE the sh!t outa him fer stealin love and whatnot, and once I get a million or two, you divorce him and you and me get married again.............WHADYASAY???:blob6:

Honey?! HONEY!! Whereyagoin. Honey!!! Hey it was only............SLAM!!.......an idea eh :roll:

:dontknow:(werk my ass off fer that woman, look at the thanks I gets)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... nice little plan Nugg. But be wary... a truly smart woman will quickly see that the potential for skimming a couple million off the rich guy is way higher if she simply leaves you fair and square, marries him, and stays and spends, waits for him to pass away. Then she doesn't have to share one red cent with you. :lol: