Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Local & State News

Originally Posted on
1/2/2008 5:53:14 PM
Last Updated on
1/2/2008 6:07:09 PM

New details on euthanized sperm whale

Fort De Soto Park, Florida -- New information has been released regarding the sperm whale that came into the mouth of Tampa Bay over the weekend.

Veterinarians euthanized the sick animal Tuesday. Biologists with Florida Fish and Wildlife helped and examined the sperm whale carcass at Fort De Soto Park.

Preliminary necropsy findings indicate the whale was emaciated and suffered from chronic illness.

The animal was likely an older female, approximately 30 feet in length.

Sperm whales are present year-round in deep water areas of the Gulf of Mexico. Typically, healthy sperm whales are not found near shore.

In the past 10 years, three other sperm whales stranded themselves on Florida’s west coast.

-30-

Ok, honestly - is there any way the writer didn't mean for it to be read that way?

Pangloss

Last edited:

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Oh, yeah - I used to write for papers and yeah - this is the kind of story we'd kill for. Wouldn't work with any other kind of whale, of course.

Pangloss

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh.....my......gawd........ as soon as I stop laughing I'll have to change my pants.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
They should rewrite the headline, "Sick Sperm Whale Shoots Through Tampa Bay Mouth, Biologists examined the load"

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Massive Sperm Whale Build up in mouth of Tampa Bay makes Vet spitting mad.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on this subject, I get the joke stuff, and, yeah, it's

all funny, but

I feel compassion and sadness for the whale, I'm such a softy when it comes to animals

of any kind, and I suffer with them, I feel sorry for what happened to her, they are such

an intelligent giant, and they must suffer, much like we do, when ill and failing.