Judge orders maximum sentence

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 Relatives cheer as judge orders serial-killer Pickton to serve at least 25 years
Stephanie Levitz And Greg Joyce, THE CANADIAN PRESS
NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. - The families of serial killer Robert Pickton's victims cheered Tuesday when a judge called his crimes "senseless and despicable" and ordered him to serve the harshest sentence available in law.
The families yelled "yes! yes!" in a euphoric end to a gruelling day that saw lawyers, victims' families and even reporters overcome with emotion as the Crown read heart-wrenching victim- impact statements.
Pickton would not get a chance to get out until he was 83 years old

http://tinyurl.com/279s7o

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
83 years old... that still doesn't feel like a sufficient punishment. That he could walk back out into society after this just floors me.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
83 years old... that still doesn't feel like a sufficient punishment. That he could walk back out into society after this just floors me.

Karrie I don't think Pickton will ever get out of prison. After twenty five years, like Clifford Olsen, he is eligible to apply for parole, but like Olsen he won't get it. Olsen applies every five years and has been turned down every time. If I had to bet, I would bet that Pickton won't live till 83, but if he does he will be turned down and he can apply again at 88.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
No mention of concurrent or consecutive sentencing options. In this case it's likely irrelevant given the maximum before parole board hearing is 25 years, and a life sentence is a life sentence.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A few years ago we scrapped the consecutive sentence option. Multiple sentences always run concurrently. I don't agree with it but they almost never ask me..;-)

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
With any luck....Since Picton wasn't able to cut a deal with the Crown like Karla Homolka did....he will have an "accident" and meet his maker far before his 83 years gets close.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
With any luck....Since Picton wasn't able to cut a deal with the Crown like Karla Homolka did....he will have an "accident" and meet his maker far before his 83 years gets close.

I heard someone commenting on the radio regarding another case a while ago, and it stuck in my head. He stated something to the effect of... "I get tired of hoping for anal rape and stabbings to dole out justice. I wish the courts would do it right instead." It rings especially true to me in this case. There should never ever be any hope in hell that this man sees a day of freedom in the rest of his life.