Homeless Vets...

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
As Remembrance Day approaches, this story is especially poignant ... I am now led to wonder what the Canadian stats are.... my google search turned up very little info, but I'm sure our Vets need our attention to this issue as well.

Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States

And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans. Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Yet you can serve a 4-yr term in Parliament and get a pension for life...

Muz

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Zan

I'm sure the problem here is not nearly as severe in Canada as it is in the U.S.. My reasoning is simply that we don't have nearly the same percentage of soldiers serving in the various trouble spots in the world. I don't say we do not have a problem with homeless people because we do, but I would say that our soldiers don't as a general rule, end up homeless.
I have real trouble understanding homeless people in Canada because there are so many safety nets to keep people from that condition, that I suspect that a lot of the homeless in Canada are there by choice. People who have a real problem have my support and sympathy. I would gladly support increased taxes to solve this problem in a reasonable manner.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
That story just struck a nerve in me somehow... I'm as pacifist as they come, but when young men have put their lives on the line ... then to see them come to this.... it defies understanding. American or Canadian, this is a shameful problem. I'm not suggesting vets are more deserving of services than any other homeless people, it's all shameful - I guess I just thought the system would have had something in place to ensure these boys don't end up like this - if you read the story and see what kinds of mental health issues they're coming home with... how can they just set them loose? And this is apparently the tip of the iceberg - there's many more to come. :-(

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We're the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" generation. In our society you can be a hero one week and mounted with goat horns the next. Too much greed.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I believe this gentleman died 2 years ago....he was a very old wrinkled Vet in a wheel chair....he was always on TV Remembrance day for being in uniform in toronto where the festivities are held.....Once he was interviewed at the scene:smile:

He used to hang in Bloor West village....i lived there all through the 90's and used to see him often.....we talked and when he got to know me he asked for a loan of five bucks..i gladly just gave it to him......
i used to always just give him a fiver , at the nudge of sandy near the end of each month knowing he would be hard pressed....we cried at the thought of a guy who gave up his legs for us in the war having to rely on handouts at month end.....

It's not right

edit: i would like to note that he only asked me once and he said he would pay me back....it wasn't every month but when ever we saw him near the end of the month we would slip him a fiver....he was a nice guy....Once he was on the front page of the Sun as well...i recall...i'm pretty sure...

Last edited: