Tropical Storm Noel

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If the National Hurricane Center in Dartmouth is correct, we'll be having a wet and stormy weekend here in Atlantic Canada. It appears that the storm will be re-intensifying, and could be a category 1 hurricane when it makes landfall. At least one hundred millimeters for Nova Scotia from Noel. On top of that, leading the storm is a band of tropical moisture, which has already began falling as rain here as it meets a cold front. So we could have up to 40 mm before the storm even arrives.

Looks like a wet and wild weekend:-?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Me too! There are some very large elm trees here in Truro, many weakened from the Dutch Elm disease. Hopefully it's not hurricane strength...it's still quite far south, but it appears the track will be following directly over the gulfstream.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Are there any trees like that which are particularily close to your house?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is a magnificent specimen across the road from my apartment building, there were two large elms in the yard, but they were cut down last year due to the damage they received from Hurricane Juan a few years ago. Outside my window are some maples, but they aren't nearly as large as the elms.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
it's a real shame that dutch elm is over here. it hit the UK back in the 60s and now elms are very rare indeed.

Windsor, Nova Scotia was hit especially hard. They had lovely elm trees, I think there still are some, but I suppose it's only a matter of time.

Halifax lost some trees in the Public Gardens during Juan, some which had been planted by Royalty.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The main problem we have here in Ontario are the Ash Borers. So many trees have been destroyed by this insect, it boggles the mind.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, Tonington.:-(

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ehh, no worries. I don't like rigid conversation. If I started talking to you in a coffee shop I wouldn't be disgruntled either;)

If it is safe to do so, and the storm does hit, I'll try to take some decent pictures.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Ehh, no worries. I don't like rigid conversation. If I started talking to you in a coffee shop I wouldn't be disgruntled either;)

If it is safe to do so, and the storm does hit, I'll try to take some decent pictures.

That would be quite interesting(in an awe-inspiring way) thing to see.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That would be quite interesting(in an awe-inspiring way) thing to see.

My brother and I tried to get some pictures at the lighthouse inj our home town once, but the lighting was too poor. But the waves were phenomenal. The lighthouse sits at least 200 feet above the water, but because of the steep sloped cliffs, you can get waves that crash up at the top. Very dangerous, and stupid thing to do, but I am what I am;)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
My brother and I tried to get some pictures at the lighthouse inj our home town once, but the lighting was too poor. But the waves were phenomenal. The lighthouse sits at least 200 feet above the water, but because of the steep sloped cliffs, you can get waves that crash up at the top. Very dangerous, and stupid thing to do, but I am what I am;)

With the current crop of digital cameras now available, you would probably be able to get better pictures. Not that I am advocating you to do something foolhardy, of course.;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It was my brother who had the camera. He's a purist for the time being, no digital for him. I have a digital camera, but I'm not a photography buff in any sense of the word.

I've always actually been a bit of a adrenaline junkie. I'd love to chase tornadoes, lol. I was actually a little jealous after the initial concern was over this summer. My mom, aunt and grandmother just missed being in a water spout that came ashore in western PEI. It actually demolished some buildings further in land.

This is the best of the pictures she managed to snap before the thing came ashore. It threw the lawn chairs into the next field over.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It is amazing how dark the skies get just before a tornado or water spout forms.8O

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So after the storm hit, there are still 40,000 homes and businesses without power. At the peak of the outages, more than 170,000 customers were without power. Nova Scotia Power has had more than 230 crews working today to bring power back to customers, mostly focussed on Cape Breton and the northern coast. In front of my building, there is a very large tree limb which has not yet been removed, it fell parallel to a power line, must have just missed it.

Some photos collected by CBC. Photo 16 shows a washed out road.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/background/photogallery/storm-Noel/

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario

Oh, Gem's talking about Crashed, Tonington. He's another Viner who made his way here on to this board...

BTW, Gem, if it makes you feel any better, Crash was posting on here last night. Maybe they're experiencing a power outage right now. Either way, I think they'll be fine. :smile:

Last edited: