Mother acquitted of abuse in daughter's genital piercing

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The Associated Press
October 26, 2007 at 6:01 AM EDT

NAPLES, FLA. — A woman who had her 13-year-old daughter's genitalia pierced to make it uncomfortable for her to have sex was acquitted of aggravated child abuse Thursday.

The girl, now 16, testified her mother asked a friend in 2004 to shave the girl's head to make her unattractive to boys and later held her down for the piercing.

A jury deliberated for about three hours before deciding the mother's actions didn't involve punishment or malicious intent, or cause permanent damage or disfigurement.

The 39-year-old woman, whose name is being withheld to protect her daughter's identity, could have faced up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the charges.

The girl was not in court for the verdict. Her guardian declined comment.
“She was trying to protect me but it hurt me,” the girl testified earlier this week.

“It not only hurt me physically but it hurt me mentally ... That's emotionally scarring. That's physical abuse.”

Prosecutors said the mother called on a friend to shave the girl's head and do the piercing after realizing she had been having sex, including with the mother's boyfriend.

Defence lawyers told jurors the mother had trouble with her rebellious daughter and the girl agreed to the piercing to help rebuild her mother's trust.

Child welfare officials were called after the girl became infected from the piercing.

Tammy Meredith, 43, who did the piercing in her home, was sentenced to a year in jail for her role. An arrest warrant has been issued for the mother's boyfriend on allegations he had sex with the girl.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Whoa, there's a whole bag of dysfunction here...what about the person who shaved and pierced? shouldn't they also be charged?

why is the boyfriend having sex with his gf's 13 yr old daughter?

This sounds like an episode of Jerry springer

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Tammy Meredith, 43, who did the piercing in her home, was sentenced to a year in jail for her role. An arrest warrant has been issued for the mother's boyfriend on allegations he had sex with the girl.

seems like the only person not charged is the mother, who instigated the whole deal. This is truly nasty. And the weird thing is that it turned up in the "odd news" section, whereas any mention of female genital mutilation in it's more usual forms gets the whole headline page with horrified mothers galore and politicians boldly stating that this kind of thing must be stopped

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think the difference between this and that is mutilation vs modification. They'd stated no long term physical impairment...just a whole heaping amount of emotional impairment....

I hope this girl gets a good therapist...one who doesn't encourage that permanent victim mentality...

flutterby

Time Out
Oct 3, 2007
seems like the only person not charged is the mother, who instigated the whole deal.
how could the mother be aquitted if she was not charged?

Prosecutors said the mother called on a friend to shave the girl's head and do the piercing after realizing she had been having sex, including with the mother's boyfriend.
i think this bothered the mother more than her daughter just having sex. i wonder how long the boyfriend remained in the picture, or if he still is.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well I guess her only punishment will be her ruined relationship with her daughter. As time goes by and this lady gets older and older the impact of this loss will be felt more and more.

Unless of course she is so off the wall that she's able to place all the blame onto her daughter in which case her life will be a living hell...Karma has a long reach.