California Fires

triedit

inimitable
Ive been watching the news on the recent whopper fires going on in Southern California. They've now evactuated the equivalent of half the population of Scarborough. (350,000). They have 6000 firefighters on the job and we're nowhere near containment.

I have good friends in Oceanside who have evacuated. Moreso from the smoke than actual fire.

Really astounding amount of fire.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I heard on the radio that Atlanta has just 90 days worth of drinking water left, if they don't get any rain.

Some pretty dramatic weather happening out there.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I heard on the radio that Atlanta has just 90 days worth of drinking water left, if they don't get any rain.

Some pretty dramatic weather happening out there.

Very, very dry. Lake Lanier is pressed to the max right now.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yikes! that's bad bad news. Seems like climate areas are shifting. What was once tropical may become desert.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I think some of the blame for the fires can surely be laid on eviro-whackos who get all apoplectic when controlled burns and cuts are suggested.

Good Game tree huggers.:roll:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, I don't think the blame is entirely on the tree huggers, most homeowners would probably resent if all the vegetation was cleared from around their homes. Forest managers in Florida said that the wildfires that burned many homes in 1998 was primarily due to pressure from home owners to stop the controlled burns.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
How the heck have you been Tracy? Living across from the beach, that's gotta good on non-fire days too.

I've been very busy lately, how've you been? I do wish it was less smoky, but I'm off to Hawaii in 2 days anyways so it doesn't bother me too much.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

I still think it terrorists that are causing this.

I was listening to a radio program years ago after America invaded Iraq and they were discussing different types of terrorism and destroying the infrastructure was one.

I just find it odd that the frequency of forest fires have increased dramatically near major populated areas since the invasion of Iraq.

Thanks to the media and I mean those that have to tell the whole story and make public America’s vulnerabilities the people have to suffer.

I can only quote a famous American that said, “A stupid is as a stupid does”

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well, I don't think the blame is entirely on the tree huggers, most homeowners would probably resent if all the vegetation was cleared from around their homes. Forest managers in Florida said that the wildfires that burned many homes in 1998 was primarily due to pressure from home owners to stop the controlled burns.

Well if its the home owners themselves stopping the burns than they share some of the blame.

And of course there are just some evil people out there starting fires on purpose too. I think they just caught a guy this morning setting fires out east of L.A.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

I think these firers can pretty much be chalked up to the Santa Ana winds, can't they?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well if its the home owners themselves stopping the burns than they share some of the blame.

And of course there are just some evil people out there starting fires on purpose too. I think they just caught a guy this morning setting fires out east of L.A.

We've had that problem here in Nova Scotia before. The forest fire fighters get better pay when they are on the job. Some bastards were starting the fires for better pay.

I think these firers can pretty much be chalked up to the Santa Ana winds, can't they?

Santa Anna winds, plus drought conditions. Lets not forget you need an ignition before the fire can start too. Could be as simple as a cigarette out the window.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Santa Anna winds, plus drought conditions. Lets not forget you need an ignition before the fire can start too. Could be as simple as a cigarette out the window.

And exhaust from a car too close to dry grass, etc.. The Santa Ana winds usually do arrive about the time that it's dry around there, even in non-drought conditions.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Last evening the California Highway Patrol from the air - spotted a man on a motorcycle torching off some acreage along the roadside. He had four started before the ground cars could get to him...

What happens in Santa Ana conditions is power lines spark with the gusts and they in turn torch what should be cleared ground cover (no excuse on this omission whatsoever.... if it was money...they have exceeded a hundred fold what they are going to spend now on reconstruction).... the whole area is a tinderbox when there is no summer precipitation and the ground cover is a greasy-like growth which loves to join a flame.

Still the arsonists play their games too I am certain - the fires are so far apart.... sick creepos...

BTW the crowds huddled in various large venues - no homes - no nothing - are handling it pretty well unless they are all in shock. They are well mannered and busily helping each other out - playing with kids to give the parents a time out.... disaster brings out the two opposites in people - their very best - and some their very worst.

Again - thanks Canada for coming on down....it isn't a California fire unless the Canadian planes are taking care of biz...

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
We've had that problem here in Nova Scotia before. The forest fire fighters get better pay when they are on the job. Some bastards were starting the fires for better pay.

Those people should be shot.

My in-laws have had to evacuate from the Rancho Bernardo area, and my wife's uncle lost his house in Ramona, it is now a pile of blackened rubble.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Fire is a natural fact of life. Rich can't have it all their way and that's just nature's way of telling them. Build in a flood zone - expect to get flooded. You have to wonder at an insurance industry who'd take the risk of underwriting vulnerable mansions.

Wolf

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Those people should be shot.

My in-laws have had to evacuate from the Rancho Bernardo area, and my wife's uncle lost his house in Ramona, it is now a pile of blackened rubble.

Seriously, a huge breach of trust. Those charged with keeping us safe starting the blaze...angers up my blood. When I worked for Natural resources a few summers while in High School, I was trained in basic forest fire suppression. It kinda baffled me that the regular forest fire techs were hoping for fires...they said they liked the KFC that the fire chiefs would bring along.:angry3:

triedit

inimitable
Fire is a natural fact of life. Rich can't have it all their way and that's just nature's way of telling them. Build in a flood zone - expect to get flooded. You have to wonder at an insurance industry who'd take the risk of underwriting vulnerable mansions.

Wolf
Most of the "local" insurers won't do fire insurance on this area. Folks go through Lloyds of London and pay a huge premium. Lloyds is going to take a big big hit on this one.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Most of the "local" insurers won't do fire insurance on this area. Folks go through Lloyds of London and pay a huge premium. Lloyds is going to take a big big hit on this one.
...and that hit will be passed on down to everyone. The hills have the great views and the prestige. Controlled burns would have minimized most of the risk - in California and in Greece.

Wolf