Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
A gentle people slaughtered.

And still the UN looks on and does nothing

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What do you want the UN to do?
People are killed in the US by the government. Should the UN intervene?
As bad as it is it's internal. If the UN is expected to intervene and send an armed force to a country based on internal strife, there isn't a country in the world the UN wouldn't deploy in.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Americans aren't marching by the thousands with the very real possibility that their life could end.

If the UN security council can't act on this, then there really is no point to even asking them about anything. There are UN mandates, NATO mandates, and then we have this situation, where people are willing to put their own lives in immediate peril to protest an oppressive and corrupt regime. These people are ready for democracy, but lack sufficient force to bring about change. That, should be what the UN security council looks for.

Reactions: Locutus

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This is very very bad bad news...I can't even begin to imagine the burden of bad karma one would carry with them for killing a monk!

When a gov't/military kills a monk, priest, rabbi, father, elder..it means corruption and evil has prevailed.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would say that there is greater reason for the UN to go into Burma or Zimbabwe than there ever was to invade Iraq. The UN is a great place for small countries to get to be heard, but it is a ponderous outfit to get moving for any kind of emergency.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Too bad those monks don't own large amounts of oil reserves or the Republicans would be marching there immediately.

This is not to make light of the situation. On the contrary, I am as outraged about it as any of you are. But it does prove a point that Bush and the Republican calls for democracy and for an end to tyranny is stimulated by their interests in oil. Nothing more.:angryfire:

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
This is not to make light of the situation.
Of course it is.

Dress it up any way you like and still your post smacks of self-satisfaction that monks are dead, dying, and imprisoned, which appears to be fine as long as you can link it to your all-consuming hate

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I was referring to capital punishment in the US.

I think the UN posed sanctions against Burma but when there is a corrupt regime, it usually only hurts the people. If you mean that the UN should be involved in this sort of thing, well I'm on side for that. But there must be some distinction between this and civil unrest that should be handled internally by the government and the courts.

Americans aren't marching by the thousands with the very real possibility that their life could end.

If the UN security council can't act on this, then there really is no point to even asking them about anything. There are UN mandates, NATO mandates, and then we have this situation, where people are willing to put their own lives in immediate peril to protest an oppressive and corrupt regime. These people are ready for democracy, but lack sufficient force to bring about change. That, should be what the UN security council looks for.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I was referring to capital punishment in the US.

I think the UN posed sanctions against Burma but when there is a corrupt regime, it usually only hurts the people. If you mean that the UN should be involved in this sort of thing, well I'm on side for that. But there must be some distinction between this and civil unrest that should be handled internally by the government and the courts.

Sanctions won't help. The Government is the Military, and they obviously do not care about the people of Burma, they are oppressing them fine without any outside help. There have been many conflicts where governments are toppled and a wide range of reasons for doing so. How many governments have been toppled only to be replaced by worse regimes? In my opinion this is a clear case of a group of people who not only want those freedoms, but are willing to die for those freedoms. That the UN Security council can't act on these types of situations shows how defunct that body of the UN really is.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sanctions won't help. The Government is the Military, and they obviously do not care about the people of Burma, they are oppressing them fine without any outside help. There have been many conflicts where governments are toppled and a wide range of reasons for doing so. How many governments have been toppled only to be replaced by worse regimes? In my opinion this is a clear case of a group of people who not only want those freedoms, but are willing to die for those freedoms. That the UN Security council can't act on these types of situations shows how defunct that body of the UN really is.

Indeed. The politically correct strike again.

I mean, what if we really did something provocative and some other yappy nation was 'offended' or 'shocked' by the world's actions. What would we do now? They'll talk about us and everything. We won't be popular anymore. Like they might not even talk to us anymore or invite us to their cool parties.

We're quickly becoming invertebrates.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Of course it is.

Dress it up any way you like and still your post smacks of self-satisfaction that monks are dead, dying, and imprisoned, which appears to be fine as long as you can link it to your all-consuming hate

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried. Your post smacks of single minded stupidity....You don't know this poster and you are assuming all kinds of things. Maybe go back and think a bit before you post more of this drivel.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried. Your post smacks of single minded stupidity....You don't know this poster and you are assuming all kinds of things. Maybe go back and think a bit before you post more of this drivel.

Interesting that you would speak for gopher.

You are not he by any chance are you? No biggie if you are, but, if you are posting as a gopher sock puppet then surely it behooves you to say so.

Your assumption that I don't know gopher is somewhat beyond the pale. See, I know you too, and knowing you I could post volumes of your very own blind and insipid stupidity.

My suggestion to you is that you try really hard to wrap your lllliberal head around the unpalatable facts of the big picture and try not to be confused by the bouncing ball sagas.

Do you think you can manage that?

In keeping with the unwaranted attack, and in keeping with the topic..

where, precisely, am I wrong

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
So, let's see.

An unwarranted attack by someones beatch by the name of

Juan, a quasi self important far left nutter and avid proponent of hate towards Americans. talkOn must ring a bell.

Challenged only by a misanthorpist the likes of gerryh. Subscribed to by the obscure Tonington whose only response to my request to know where Juan states I am wrong is to post yet another silly and ad hominem troll poster. Such a clever sticks.

Keep it up if you can or await your calling to join the morons, misfits and malcontents.. that statement is based on the assumption you haven't as yet received your calling and assumes you actually do in fact speak for your very own self.

So Tonington/Jaun, where precisely am I wrong.

And please, no more ad hominems if you please, I beg of you

Last edited:

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
This massacre is only being reported by one person. Is there any back-up to his story ? And I have been around here long enough to become familiar with gopher's posts,any political post about anything,and some posts that have nothing to do with politics or the U.S., such as this one invariably ends up with the child writing something deraogatory about the U.S. and/or Bush.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Goat

You came into the thread and rather than add constructive dialogue, you flamed on Gopher. Maybe you disagree with his assertion of how democracy is metered out, but there was no "self-satisfaction that monks are dead, dying, and imprisoned". That's just ridiculous. Troll on...

Oh, and you might want to avoid the Ad-hom's yourself;)

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
I am beginning to suspect you, gopher and Jaun are one and the same.

Can you disprove that.

I also suggest that if you and whomever else is within you, and you all insist on committing unwarranted and undesired ad hominems, that maybe you all could institute a thread in the beach as opposed to the beatch

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have yet to fling any ad hominem. Not my style. Ask around. It's also not my style to continue pointless discussions with trolls.

Good day Sir.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
I have yet to fling any ad hominem.
Not true.

As this thread will attest.

Unless of course you are in fact Juan and the other inconsequential chappie mentioned earlier.

If you are going to be a sock puppet Tonington, it is really important that you don't get your winter and summer ones mixed, if you know what I mean.

In the meantime, perhaps you or one of your puppies can answer the question that has been asked a number of times.

And please, do not, I beg of you, continue to disrail the thread as appears to be the wont of you all when youse come across an original thought