Is 12 too young to be a runway model?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Apparently not but what do you all think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=482192&in_page_id=1879

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
she's a creepy looking child without all the makeup on. Strutting the runway at that age isn't need in my opinion, she needs to finish being a child...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I certainly think that is too young. You hear all the stories about the adult models, and what goes on behind the scenes(what drugs they take, what is forced upon them in order to "make it big", etc.). There is way too much crap that could happen, and there is no way that a twelve year old would be ready(or should be ready) to have to deal with it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Absolutely too young. That world is notorious for all sorts of unsavory behaviour. Like Durka says, she needs to finish being a child first.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Kids who start attaining fame in pre-teen years (ie: Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan) are pretty much used up and 'over' by the time they reach their majority.

They also have a skewed sense of self-image having not done the maturation process in gradual steps - trying out things which suited them internally as well as their peer groups.

The enormous praise loaded on these young kids far too early for them to sort out what is real and what is not - is another form of child abuse - and nobody looks upon it as such.

I often think Disney was the first child abuser - creating all those weird little robotic kids who had talent and made tons of money for their mommies and daddies... and were robbed of so much... like getting to know they were just normal little people who could make mistakes and get into trouble at home.... lots of learning missed ...never to be replayed.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think Michael Jackson is another good case point on this... and you're right Curio, I think it is child abuse. That's too much to put on a child, watch their innocence fly out the door. How some manage to stay grounded is truly amazing, though most seem to experience severe growing pains...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Look at the whole screwed up situation of the Bonnett-Ramsey story. She was just a little child, and her parents were putting her through so much. She should have just been allowed to be a little girl, not a "model".:-(

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Welcome to the new reality show: Pimp My Kid!!!! Parents compete to see who can get the most screwed up kid, while at the same time racking up fame and fortune points.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Social Services should be in there like flies on ****e. The parents need to have their damn head examined.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay... I can hear what you all are saying... but...

Is this really any different than having child actors?

Child catalogue models?

Child sports phenoms?

Child geniuses who are off to college at 10?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Child catalogue models?

Child sports phenoms?

I thought this might come up. At least in the case of child athletes, it seems there is a different sort of problems. Not so much drugs and eating disorders, like other forms of celebrity. But some do burn-out fast. I think in the sports world that they should finish college or junior, whatever they're in.

It must be incredible pressure to perform in all these cases of young phenoms, whatever the industry...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
In some parts of the world, 12 year olds have to work to support their families. Besides, there are many child actors in Hollywood so there cannot be anything wrong with working at that age.

As for myself, I had my first job delivering groceries when I was 10 years old. That's just the way it is some times.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I thought this might come up. At least in the case of child athletes, it seems there is a different sort of problems. Not so much drugs and eating disorders, like other forms of celebrity. But some do burn-out fast. I think in the sports world that they should finish college or junior, whatever they're in.

It must be incredible pressure to perform in all these cases of young phenoms, whatever the industry...

drugs and eating disorders... whether it's cheerleading, track, wrestling, hockey, or football... are a huge issue for young athletes. Steroids are rampant in highschools right now. And female athletes face extreme pressure to look like models while they're competing.

It all boils down to the same thing, whether they're stuck on that cat walk or not... young people are under extreme pressure

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Child catalogue models?

Child sports phenoms?

Regarding child actors, I believe they still have to go to school and can only work until a certain time. I believe there are some safeguards in place so they don't have to work long grueling days like adult stars.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I think that at 12 years old you are only old enough to attend school. And that poor girl's skin will be hopelessly ruined by so much make-up. She will look horrible without the make-up by the time she is 25 or 30.
Actually, I believe in starting to acquire the skills that you will need to succeed early in life. Doing sports, learning languages, learning music or dancing, expanding the child's talents is the proper thing to do. Once a child is 18 or 20 years old, he or she will be properly equipped for life. But I wouldn't want my daughter, if I ever have a daughter, that is, to be involved in such adult things like being a model at such an early age.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I think it is great to see young people succeed but should we be presenting them in a way that makes older people feel like they need to go to confession. Why should society at one hand present this as the image of beauty and at the other hand vilify anyone that notices. If the're not yet legal they shouldn't be presented in public like they are.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My daughter was a model just after high school with the Ford agency.. She did it for just about two years. While she was doing this she once said she spent most of her life in three places: An airplane, a dressing room, and a short time on the runway under the lights. She did pretty well but after two years she had had enough. She was 17 when she started....not 12.