Passport Regulations Don't apply to everyone?

Philo Cojones

Aug 28, 2007
Pretty Lame... Why is it that some people have to get a passport while others do not? Emergency workers notwithstanding... what is the big deal about getting a passport by the deadline? christ, go wait in line, or do it online. bite the bullet like the rest of us have to.

Suddenly seniors and aboriginals couldn't possibly be criminals/terrorists/etc... in the eyes of our government. what at one time they were so freaked out about no longer applies for certain groups of people? just as long as they're not middle eastern i guess. I wonder if the seniors exemption applies also to seniors of middle eastern descent...

if some are being excluded, what's the point of doing it at all? This is ridiculous.
Canada seeks passport exceptions for seniors, aboriginals

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 | 11:46 AM ET

The Canadian Press

Canadian seniors and registered aboriginals shouldn't have to produce passports when they cross the border by car or boat, Ottawa has told American officials.
An alternative plan for emergency workers and medical evacuation cases is also needed, Canada said in an official response last week to U.S. plans requiring passports next summer from people entering the country by car or boat.
Canada wants passport leniency to extend to seniors, aboriginals who have certificates of Indian status, people with a Canadian seafarer's identity document and emergency workers.
(CBC)
Canada objects to that deadline, saying it should be extended, and wants an explicit agreement that high-technology driver's licences could be used instead of passports.
Ottawa is also considering whether to devise a passport card like the one the United States is developing that would cost less but provide the same proof of identity and citizenship.
In June, U.S. officials issued a reprieve on passports from people entering at land and sea crossings until at least the summer of 2008. Canadian officials say it will be a scramble to cut confusion and reduce damage to trade and tourism before the deadline.
There have been long delays in getting passports on both sides of the border since the rules for air travellers were announced, forcing the United States to give its citizens a break until the end of September.
// '); // ]]>

It will be worse for the land and sea border crossings, Canadian officials said, because they account for more than 85 per cent of all cross-border visits and less than 60 per cent of those who make the trip have passports now.
In 2006, there were nearly 160 million cross-border visits and $710 billion US in two-way trade.
The United States has already said it will allow minors to cross with a birth certificate. But Canada wants the passport leniency to extend to seniors, aboriginals who have certificates of Indian status, people with a Canadian seafarer's identity document and emergency workers.
The break should extend to family members of medical evacuation patients, Ottawa said. There have been cases where family members of evacuated patients weren't allowed to get on U.S.-bound planes because they didn't have a passport, Canadian officials said.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I totally agree. It's not that hard to get a passport, and if you don't have one, you can't cross borders. that's the way it is in the rest of the world. And why is it so tough for an aboriginal to get a passport? or an old person?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
It's become kind of typical of Canada to give exemptions of all kinds to certain groups of people. There's always double-standards in Canada these days from government jobs to passports to tax breaks.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
If people find it necessary to have a Drivers License or a personal I.D. Card (if they don't drive), then why not a Passport too?

It isn't as if they have to take some kind of test to get one. If there are financial considerations - let them put their case before the inspectors when they apply.

Soon passports will be outdated with all the biometric scans they are developing now - people will be able to spend a minute being identified no matter where they go - and by what method of travel ... its time has come - and it is pretty near perfection - whereas paper is easily corrupted.

Only thing I can't figure out - in the situation of small craft travel say from B.C. to Washington State for a weekend trip - do you need a passport to disembark or who cares???

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Getting a Canadian Passport is a major pain in the nether region.

You need an "official" passport photo taken which has to be authenticated by either your family doctor (hard to find in Canada), clergy, or a policeman.

You need a full day off work to go through the initial queue at the passport and the IF you have everything in order you have to wait weeks for the passport to arrive.

For me, they didn't like my passport photo. Go figure, the passport photo studio I went to did it in colour, and the colour didn't precisely match my skin tone, so I had to go get it redone there in B&W for an additional $12 and two hours wasted.

What I can't figure out is why there isn't a fast track passport process for people born in Canada.

Muz

If people find it necessary to have a Drivers License or a personal I.D. Card (if they don't drive), then why not a Passport too?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Impetus

My passport was rejected last year because I didn't use the doctor or dentist or whatever the other professions were (bank manager?)......(attorney?)

I had my stock broker do it because of all the people in the U.S. he has known me the longest (since I entered the country as an alien - he was my husband's buddy before then and now handles all my financial stuff. He is an ex-IRS federal agent so his creds are impeccable.... Canada rejected him.
Back to square one.

Oh ya - they were all fuzzled about my getting a photo in the U.S. I had the dimensions and characteristic regulations so a photographer should be able to accomplish it.... or did they want me to travel to Quebec to get it done lol.... Anyway they accepted what I gave them. Those things are so frightening anyway, it would surprise me if they were measured down to the last dimension.

The guys in Passport Canada are lacking in the friendliness department as well - a bit on the thug side...but it can't be a barrel of laughs in that place....Cracked me up when I pushed "English" on button number one - and got "Bonjour".....

Soon as I got my Canadian Passport my citizenship for the U.S. came through - so now I am back to square one....

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Canada allows dual citizenship, it isn't recognized in any meaningful way though (you are treated like every other Canadian citizen and your passport is the same).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
aren't dual citizen passports a bit different?

No. You usually present one or the other at the border. My son is dual (but has neither passport right now). He has been travelling exclusively as Canadian as the American birth certificate is on legal sized paper while the Canadian one is wallet sized.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Was it an american passport I was looking at then that addresses a person as a dual citizen?

Or am I manufacturing a memory (not trying to be sarcastic... I'm actually worried I may have dreamt this now. lol)?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I don't believe in duality - however there is much reciprocity between Canadian citizens and U.S. citizens - regardless if that may change in the future.

For either citizen born in the U.S. or Canada becoming a citizen of the other nation - who wished to return to the original country, I think they can apply for resumption of citizenship or some kind of formality - after they have returned and resided in that country for a year.

If I retired for example I could still return home as an American citizen, retain my retirement benefits through the U.S. and even claim Canadian retirement benefits for the time I was employed in Canada...and after a year become a Canadian again and vote - and still vote in the U.S.

This isn't something I personally plan to do but it was discussed when I was applying for my U.S. citizenship. I do not agree with duality - you either commit or not. If not, remain a legal resident alien.

People who are from other nations who emigrate to Canada or the U.S. and then switch have a different set of rules, as do their dependent children under a certain age.

With the ever increasing security challenges, this could all change again but it is what exists at the present time.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
i'm trying to make my own....for religous purposes...I am not being protected by the charter of rights....
I truly believe, as of last week, that having someone take your picture takes away certain elctro magnetic fields, there by producing more paranoia and confussion in one's person...Hence all these crazy movie people...hence the slow decline of my mental health specially noticed now after pictures are taken of me.....i want to not only make my own picture of myself....but i want to add a little flair to the dullness of these passports as well....
why should i travel to the U.S.a with something everyone else has...i'm a unique person seeking my own identity....I'm living in a facist state.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well Doc you have to be very unique!!

Regarding your photo - please do not choose green - that color is taken by my own horror photo. It's enough to keep me from travelling anywhere having to display it hahaha..

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
P.S. yer new avatar lisa...awesome ...ceptin before i focus it looks like you having a break down after reading one of my pm's to you....then i focus and it looks like that lady in blue thing ......

it's those damn synapses in me brain that sort of cause a partial intermittant flux in my interpratation of reality....one learns to live with it....some of it is pretty damn funny...some a horror...

JohnDoe1989

Dec 8, 2018
Hi! Just wanted to let you know the Canadian passport is awesome! You should immigrate to Canada and hopefully get one in a few years!
I used the Express Entry Guide here and I'm currently in Canada with permanent residence! So far, no complaints, just positives!