Anger over 'blasphemous' balls

sanctus
By Alastair Leithead
BBC News, Kabul

A demonstration has been held in south- east Afghanistan accusing US troops of insulting Islam after they distributed footballs bearing the name of Allah.

The balls showed the Saudi Arabian flag which features the Koranic declaration of faith.

The US military said the idea had been to give something for Afghan children to enjoy and they did not realise it would cause offence.

The footballs were dropped from a helicopter in Khost province.

Some displayed flags from countries all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, which features the shahada, one of the five pillars of Islam - the declaration of faith.

The words, which include the name of Allah, are revered, and Muslims are very sensitive about where and how they can be used.

Saudi Arabia has complained to the World Cup's ruling body in the past about the use of its flag on footballs.

Mullahs in Afghanistan criticised the US forces for their insensitivity, and around 100 people held a demonstration in Khost.

Afghan MP Mirwais Yasini said: "To have a verse of the Koran on something you kick with your foot would be an insult in any Muslim country around the world."

A spokeswoman for the US forces in Afghanistan said they made "significant efforts to work with local leaders, mullahs and elders to respect their culture" and distributing the footballs was an effort to give a gift the Afghan children would enjoy.

"Unfortunately," she added, "there was something on those footballs we didn't immediately understand to be offensive and we regret that as we do not want to offend."
Story from BBC NEWS

Impetus
Has the commercial appeal of "Pope Soap on a Rope"...

Muz

Philo Cojones
Pretty sad that the Military has been over there for this long and still hasn't figured out what will and will not insult these people... Hopefully an isolated incident.

Dreadful Nonsense
You on this subject...we really do have to learn these people's culture...
If we are going to stop the way they hand out justice, like caning, and give muslim woman more rights afforded them under the men who rule them, we need to understand how not to offend them in harmless areas like handing out soccer balls.......

on another note i thought the thread was about tattooing God on one testicle ...and the virgin mary blowing him on the other
Last edited by Dreadful Nonsense; Aug 28th, 2007 at 11:54 AM..Reason: don't want to upset muslims

hermanntrude
I'm really surprised no-one figured that muslems might be offended by this. It's well known that muslems highly revere the words of the quran, and also that they feel the feet are particularly dirty. Many places it's incredibly rude to show the soles of your feet, for instance. And even to a non-muslem, kicking around holy words seems a bit dodgy, doesn't it?

Having said that, it must have been a mistake, make an apology and get over it.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I'm really surprised no-one figured that muslems might be offended by this. It's well known that muslems highly revere the words of the quran, and also that they feel the feet are particularly dirty. Many places it's incredibly rude to show the soles of your feet, for instance. And even to a non-muslem, kicking around holy words seems a bit dodgy, doesn't it?

Having said that, it must have been a mistake, make an apology and get over it.

The very first Sikh guru visited Mecca...He was sitting with his face towrards that Holy Place where god resides for Muslims.....fierce Muslims went bonkers...he calmy asked why....The said it was blasphemous to point ones feet towards God....
He answered by saying they could cut off both his feet if they could but show him one place where god does not dwell and that he could point his feet in that direction......

This is the kind of wisdom to combat all religous ignorance...

Unforgiven
Muslims should get the **** over themselves already.

If they would give kids soccer balls in the first place instead of spending heroin cash on weapons and internet connections maybe a foreign country wouldn't have to come to their country and air drop toys for the kiddies.

DurkaDurka
meh, You think they would have more pressing concerns in life then a football with "Allah" written on it.

I think religious idols need to be ridiculed more often in my opinion, makes for great reading material.

BitWhys
you can put the code on a flag but you can't put the flag on a football?

man

you can't win for trying

hermanntrude
a flag is a thing held in prestige, flown high above people's heads for people to admire. A football is to be kicked. You can see why they might find the symbolism a bit annoying. It'd be a bit weird to put the lord's prayer on a football too, right? or a cross, or a picture of jesus?

DurkaDurka

a flag is a thing held in prestige, flown high above people's heads for people to admire. A football is to be kicked. You can see why they might find the symbolism a bit annoying. It'd be a bit weird to put the lord's prayer on a football too, right? or a cross, or a picture of jesus?

Have you seen Dogma? I want a Buddy Christ action doll.

hermanntrude
hehe yeah I loved that movie.

Dreadful Nonsense

betcha jesus is on one somewhere's and i bet there is a slew of soccer players asked to bless the thing.....

i do agree with you...we accept our religous icons to made fun of.....hey i still lol at the find the pope in the pizza gag......

but these people are still way back there......we need a sensitivity and at the same time take power out of their hands so as not to allow the continuation of the obvious nonsense...let em have the no soccer ball rule...but hell they are not going to defile a Human Being like that.....

BitWhys

oh please. the best way to boost the sales of American flags in that region is to print them on flashpaper and the chances of NOT finding footballs like the ones you've described on E-Bay are slim to none.

if they caught it and left them off they'd be catching flack to that too.

I just think its funny, is all.

BitWhys

hehe yeah I loved that movie.

That's by the same guy who did "Spinal Tap", isn't it?

It still cracks me up.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhysView Post

That's by the same guy who did "Spinal Tap", isn't it?

It still cracks me up.

Nope, it's by Kevin Smith.

Clerks, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob etc etc

BitWhys
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Nope, it's by Kevin Smith.

Clerks, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob etc etc

right then. thanks

DurkaDurka

right then. thanks

If you get a chance, watch mall rats... awesome movie.

BitWhys

If you get a chance, watch mall rats... awesome movie.

will do!

Unforgiven

hermanntrude
and i expect there are people who feel that your doormat is an offensive one. It IS a doormat isnt it?

Unforgiven

and i expect there are people who feel that your doormat is an offensive one. It IS a doormat isnt it?

How could I say no when they tossed it in free with the chair?

hermanntrude
again, i'm sure some people would find that offensive.

I did say TWO things:

1) i'm not surprised they're offended, and I AM surprised that the brains behind the scheme couldn't figure out it would be considered offensive
2) The reaction was a little harsh, and perhaps they should just get over it.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

talk about tacky... is it a sin to beat the dust out of it?

BitWhys

I hope so. The guy died for our sins. It would be rude to show up empty handed.

Unforgiven

Nah you would use this. That way everything comes clean.

DurkaDurka

Now that would be nice, having a soothing bath while the essence of Jesus burns in the background.

BitWhys

Now that's just plain weird. Anyone seen "The Dark Crystal"

Unforgiven
So let's talk about freedom.

Are there limits to what you can have on your front lawn?

DurkaDurka

Now that's just plain weird. Anyone seen "The Dark Crystal"

Nope, fantasy movie I guess?