Michael Vick saga


Kreskin
#1
The NFL suspended him indefinitely, and gave the team the right to seek up to 22 milion of his signing bonus. The guy had a $130 million contract. Nike deals etc. All tossed out the window. For what, the opportunity to drown or hang non-performing dogs? What a bloody moron.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=216788&hubname=
 
talloola
#2
the lowest of low-lifes. And, I heard one of his teamates feeling sorry for him today, saying that he
is out there now, all by himself, taking all this heat.

How about the dogs that are dead, etc. Yeah, moron fits him to a tee..

He should b e put in a pen with 'four' very cranky pit bulls, and we can 'bet' on the outcome.
 
Unforgiven
#3
I think I would like to see this guy spend fifteen minutes in a cell with Randy Couture and tell Randy that for fifteen minutes there is no law. We could get some bubbas hanging around drinking and talking the talk. Just so Vick could get the perspective he should have had from the start.

And let's give Couture a reason to perform. Say 90 million for the fight, and bonus for each time Vick begs him to stop.

And I suppose it would be of value to have Vick's family present to help undo some of the stupid advice he's given to them over the years.
 
shadowshiv
#4
I would love to see Randy Couture kick the living hell out of that piece of human trash. I'll bet that Randy would do it for free, knowing the circumstances.
 
tamarin
#5
And given the culture of apology we live in, two will get you ten, the lad will likely be playing professional football again in three years.
 
Unforgiven
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

And given the culture of apology we live in, two will get you ten, the lad will likely be playing professional football again in three years.

Three years? Have you underestimated the powers of there truely short attention span? It will be "let's leave the past behind and get on with making some more money. Greed trumps morals everytime.
 
tamarin
#7
Okay, make it a year. Or less.
 
tamarin
#8
It is amazing given the outrageous crimes he's charged with that he could get less than five years imprisonment. There are all kinds of folks in US pens who have done less than Vick and are serving long years of incarceration.
Justice in the West has always been its Achilles heel.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#9
The NFL is currently reacting to a series of scandals involving several players. I don't expect any leniency with regard to Vick anytime soon. Goodall has made it clear that he does not want any player to do anything that reacts negatively on the NFL and their collective ability to make money. Vick outdid the other players who got suspended by a mile. He has played his last NFL game IMHO.
 
Dreadful Nonsense
#10
I think it says a lot for society that we have come to the point where this is considered deplorable enough to warrant the actions taken ....the outrage against this sort of thing is healthy.
 
Toro
#11
If there is a stupider man in sports, I'd like to know who he is.

This idiot threw away something like $80 million in endorsement contracts.

Hope he won that 10 grand betting on Fido.
 
tamarin
#12
Toro, methinks Vick will be playing again in no more than three years. I hope I'm wrong but this case has a bad smell and greed is a most remarkable spice.
 
MikeyDB
#13
The test is "money". If a poor man had flouted the law like Vick or like Conrad Black or like Martha Stewart or like Paris Hilton or .....there's one system of law for these folk and an altogether different law for the people who only count as consumers and place-holders in our societies.

The idol of "money" is where postmodernity worships and where democracies will bend to allow the elite a reserved and special consideration under "law".

Evangelical "Christians" reap multi-million dollar rewards from the sychophants and weak-minded, and we call the Oral Roberts, the Jimmy Bakkers and the Jimmy Swaggarts rogues but we reward the wealthy and always have. We've established a system of government and a social ethos that's prepared to see millions living in poverty and suffering while the select few flout the law and enjoy our "forgiveness".

What possible argument can be made for respecting the structures of our governments and institutions when at the same time we're prepared to embrace different standards for some while painting others as criminals and outlaws....when those criminals and outlaws are the people we keep electing and sending in money to support?

We are a sick society led by liars and thieves and nothing that passes for "law" should surprise anyone.
 
Kreskin
#14
Vick had the potential to be the best QB in league history. What a shame to throw it all away.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Vick had the potential to be the best QB in league history. What a shame to throw it all away.

Actually, he was very overrated. Had he been allowed to play, that would have been more evident. He can't pass. He's a great runner and scrambler and if he ever could figure out how to be a QB and not just a RB, he would indeed have been dangerous. But he just wasn't getting it. And now he probably never will. He will join Pete Rose and probably eventually Barry Bonds in the Sports Hall of Shame.
 
Kreskin
#16
His first year as a starter he won a playoff game in Green Bay (02/03). Considering the team he had that was no small feat. I've watched football since I was knee high to a grasshopper. That was one of best performances I've ever seen. Just getting there was an accomplishment but to show up Favre at Lambeau in the playoffs was Herculean. His broken leg threw a wrench into his game after that, and I'm sure the present issue didn't just appear overnight. His focus has probably been marred by these off field issues for awhile.
 
Tonington
#17
He'll likely get a years prison sentance for the plea agreement. As to the likliness of his playing in the NFL again, I'm not so sure. He lied outright to the commissioner when he said he had nothing to do with it, now he makes a plea agreement with prosecuters.
 
Toro
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Toro, methinks Vick will be playing again in no more than three years. I hope I'm wrong but this case has a bad smell and greed is a most remarkable spice.

Yeah, I agree. He'll be, what, 29 when he gets back into the league. Al Davis or John Gruden or someone like that will sign him.

Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Vick had the potential to be the best QB in league history. What a shame to throw it all away.

I gotta disagree with you Kreskin. I think Vick was the most over-rated QB in the league. The guy had no accuracy. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 10 yards away.
 
Kreskin
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

Yeah, I agree. He'll be, what, 29 when he gets back into the league. Al Davis or John Gruden or someone like that will sign him.



I gotta disagree with you Kreskin. I think Vick was the most over-rated QB in the league. The guy had no accuracy. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 10 yards away.

I'm not saying just this incident. His broken leg screwed up what was a brilliant career in the making. The Falcons tried to protect him from injury by keeping in the pocket. That wasn't his game. Then off field shenanigans crept in. Incidents with fans. Now this.
 
shadowshiv
#20
Now it looks as if Atlanta is trying to get back the $22 million that he already received as a signing bonus. I think that Atlanta will drop him like a hot potato, and if any team was idiotic enough to sign him(assuming he was even ever allowed to play again after getting out of jail) I would hope pressure from other teams would make them change their mind.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

His first year as a starter he won a playoff game in Green Bay (02/03). Considering the team he had that was no small feat. I've watched football since I was knee high to a grasshopper. That was one of best performances I've ever seen. Just getting there was an accomplishment but to show up Favre at Lambeau in the playoffs was Herculean. His broken leg threw a wrench into his game after that, and I'm sure the present issue didn't just appear overnight. His focus has probably been marred by these off field issues for awhile.

Vick scrambling ability made it harder for conventional defences (like the Packers at the time) to handle. Once defences adjusted to take away the scramble, his abilities were limited. The key to contain Vick has always been stop his scrambling and make him be a normal QB. IF he could have been a better QB to go along with his RB abilities, he would have been devistating. Unfortunatly, as a QB, he was mediocre.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Now it looks as if Atlanta is trying to get back the $22 million that he already received as a signing bonus. I think that Atlanta will drop him like a hot potato, and if any team was idiotic enough to sign him(assuming he was even ever allowed to play again after getting out of jail) I would hope pressure from other teams would make them change their mind.

It doesn't matter. Although he is under contract with Atlanta, he costs them 0. Should he ever be allowed to play and Atlanta doesn't want him, they can trade him at that point for a draft pick or something. Cutting him removes that possibility.
 
Kreskin
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Vick scrambling ability made it harder for conventional defences (like the Packers at the time) to handle. Once defences adjusted to take away the scramble, his abilities were limited. The key to contain Vick has always been stop his scrambling and make him be a normal QB. IF he could have been a better QB to go along with his RB abilities, he would have been devistating. Unfortunatly, as a QB, he was mediocre.

No doubt. If he had more accuracy in his passing he would've been unstoppable. His arm strength has never been an issue, it has been the ineffectiveness with it. The problem with some gunslingers is they always feel the need to throw a ball on a rope. The better deep passers have the ability to put a little more air under it so receivers can make adjustments.

As one writer once put it, he had the arm strength of John Elway, the moves of Gayle Sayers and the speed of OJ Simpson. A little tweak here or there and his future could've been whatever he wanted it to be. In the end his greymatter got the best of him.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

No doubt. If he had more accuracy in his passing he would've been unstoppable. His arm strength has never been an issue, it has been the ineffectiveness with it. The problem with some gunslingers is they always feel the need to throw a ball on a rope. The better deep passers have the ability to put a little more air under it so receivers can make adjustments.

As one writer once put it, he had the arm strength of John Elway, the moves of Gayle Sayers and the speed of OJ Simpson. A little tweak here or there and his future could've been whatever he wanted it to be. In the end his greymatter got the best of him.

He seemed incapable of making the tweak. Certainly even with his limitations, he would have been a better starting QB than Joey Harrington (anyone remember how much he sucked in Detroit?) who is not the new starting QB. This shall be a long season in Atlanta.
 
Coddfish
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

the lowest of low-lifes. And, I heard one of his teamates feeling sorry for him today, saying that he
is out there now, all by himself, taking all this heat.

I can understand, from his teamate's point of view, why he would feel so sorry for him taking so much heat, but come on! He deserves it! What about those poor dogs that were killed in all of this?!

Yea, what a low-life indeed.
 
Kreskin
#26
Had to bring this one back to life. Anyone watching this guy annihilate the Redskins right now? He's the best quarterback on the planet.
 
wulfie68
#27
I'm not going to agree that he's the best QB on the planet (he's only playing the Dedskins) but he is playing very well.

He's paying off on the field for the Eagles but I'm still not sure of him or them. What he did was reprehensible to me and I think he was forgiven too easily. I wasn't really keen on the Eagles organizationally before that and this doesn't help matters... and no, I'm overly happy with the way the Rooneys in Pittsburgh let Roethlisburger off the hook either.

I guess time will tell but I am a pretty unforgiving and skeptical person at times.
 
TenPenny
#28
The NFL has never been shy about felons playing professional football.
 
shadowshiv
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

The NFL has never been shy about felons playing professional football.

Aren't the Cincinneti Bengals the leaders in this particular stat?
 
Cannuck
#30
I've been watching the game today and decided to revive this thread. I'm interested in people's opinions of Vick and if they've changed since this whole thing began.

For me, I thought what he did was horrible (not to mention stupid) and I thought he deserved jail time. That said, he did his time and I have no ill feelings towards the guy. He says he is sorry. I don't know him but I will take his word on that...he team mates seem to have.
 

Similar Threads

25
What gives with someone like Michael Vick?
by Kreskin | Jul 25th, 2007
1
A saga of two women and their trucks.
by Sassylassie | Mar 22nd, 2006
no new posts