Dogfighting In The US. Here too.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Aug 23, 2007 04:30 AM
Paul Duggan
Washington Post

WASHINGTON–It's a disturbing narrative, the 19-page indictment of football star Michael Vick and three of his friends. Perhaps the details shocked people unfamiliar with the secretive world of illegal dogfighting: the breeding and training of pit bulls for savage, high-stakes combat and the brutal executions of dogs that failed to measure up.

Dogs shot, hanged, drowned, beaten, electrocuted. An awful story.
Yet to animal-welfare workers, the ugly particulars were far from surprising. They said the dogfighting subculture is deeply entrenched in the United States. And in that shadowy realm, they said, the sort of business allegedly conducted on property owned by Vick in rural Surry County, Va., has been going on for generations, especially in the rural South.

"For us, the Vick case has had tremendous value," said Jeff Dorson, a Louisiana Humane Society official. "We've been trying to tell the public how typical this is, how widespread it is, the horrors the animals go through. It's opened the curtain so everyone can see what's going on."

Vick, quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons and a former Virginia Tech all-American, is scheduled to plead guilty Monday to dogfighting-related offences, with federal guidelines calling for a prison term in the range of 12 to 18 months, according to his attorneys and sources familiar with the case. His co-defendants have pleaded guilty.

The blood sport goes on.

"Dog men," they call themselves, the untold numbers of breeders and fighters. With their pastime illegal everywhere in the country, they stay in touch through secret networks and underground magazines. They say they love to compete. They tell themselves the pit bulls love it, too.

"The reason for the Michael Vick thing ... is because athletes have a keen insight into courage and determination, which is what pit bulls possess," said Bill Stewart, a breeder in Romance, Ark., who publishes the Pit Bull Reporter.
"Athletes understand better than anyone what dogfighting is about. It's about two highly conditioned athletes going at each other with everything they have to try to win. It's the purest form of combat on Earth."

To dog men, all dogs are curs except the American pit bull terrier, descended from canines used in English blood sport centuries ago.

Animal-protection workers and others who have infiltrated the underworld of pit bull fighting say dog men train their animals for weeks before bouts, perverting the dietary and fitness sciences to build ferocious canine maulers.
They perform unlicensed veterinary surgery on the grievously wounded and stud their battle-scarred champs, often for fees in the hundreds of dollars. A pit bull in its prime with a string of victories can fetch $10,000 (U.S.) or more. To save on upkeep and preserve the breed, weaklings are destroyed, either painlessly or with a vengeance.

The illegal bouts, in carpeted 4.8-metre by 4.8-metre pits surrounded by 1.2-metre walls, are staged in hidden venues, usually with no more than a few dozen spectators allowed. Elaborate, decades-old rules are followed. Bets are posted in cash, sometimes five figures. Afterward, dog men tend to their pit bulls' injuries, provided the animals fought gamely. They won't tolerate dogs that quit.

Young pit bulls that survive training become "match dogs," weighing 16 to 25 kilograms and fighting in weight classes. With a pile of cash riding on the outcome, a regulation match is officiated by a referee. A typical bout lasts 45 minutes to an hour, usually ending when one of the bloodied combatants is too torn and gouged to go on.

Dog men have too much invested in their animals to let them fight to the death, so fatalities in the pit are rare. But grave, disfiguring wounds are the norm.

"At the top level, there are probably several thousand guys," said John Goodwin, the national Humane Society's manager of animal-fighting issues.
"When you include the guys who are part of organized dogfighting but don't have quite as sophisticated an operation as we saw in Surry County, we're talking about upwards of 40,000."

The July 17 indictment accused Vick and the others of running Bad Newz Kennels, a boot camp for fighting dogs on six hectares near Vick's home town of Newport News, Va.

Starting in 2001, officials said, the men entered pit bulls in more than two dozen fights in several states, with bets of up to $13,000 per side. Officials said they seized 66 dogs, pit bull carcasses and training gear at the compound.
Authorities say the pit bull fighting subculture encompasses not only "dog men" with their training kennels and scheduled matches; it also includes less organized dogfighting that frequently takes place in poor urban neighbourhoods.

Although in both types of fighting the dogs maul each other in a frenzy of blood and saliva, inner-city fights usually are spontaneous. One gang member strutting with his nasty pit bull sees another, egos swell, and soon they're in a vacant building, the dogs ripping into each other while still on leash chains.
"Street fighting," these impromptu bouts are called.

Unlike a dog man's pit bulls, most street maulers aren't carefully bred from fighting stock. They aren't put through weeks of cardiovascular training on treadmills and in swimming pools. They're not steroid-enhanced. Their jaw muscles aren't pumped from a regimen of "bite-and-shake" exercises. Their teeth haven't been sharpened with electric grinders while they're sedated.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Too bad we didn't have colosseums here where Vick and his ilk were providing public entertainment fighting bears and lions. Dogfighting's a sport for throwbacks and their hill-fed cousins. And Afghans.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
My friend in england had a staffordshire bull-terrier who was the nicest friendliest dog u ever met, and one day someone stole her. She was found much later with scars and wounds all over her. The police said it looked like someone had tried to make her fight and dumped her when she wouldn't. Ever since she had a tendancy to tremble and fart a lot. Poor creature.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Instead of dog fighting, we should have arenas where people punch each other until one falls down. Oh wait, we have that.

Okay, let's try a thing where a guy runs around a field carrying a ball, and people try to jump on him.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
My friend in england had a staffordshire bull-terrier who was the nicest friendliest dog u ever met, and one day someone stole her. She was found much later with scars and wounds all over her. The police said it looked like someone had tried to make her fight and dumped her when she wouldn't. Ever since she had a tendancy to tremble and fart a lot. Poor creature.

And to think some people are absolutly convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that all dogs of that breed are vicious killers that are bred to attack people and animals and possess no ability to refrain from that instinct under any circumstance.

I would say that an appropriate restitution for Vick would include paying for a surge in enforcement in areas known for pit fighting. Agents, equipment, facilities and all the rest, since he's got the money to run such an established ring of his own.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Geez. I can't even imagine.

I just came from the vets, to treat my cat for a bite behind its ear.

$90, plus an extra $90 because I realized I may as well get his shots done at the same time. And now my poor cat is running around the house with a cone around his neck so he doesn't scratch open his wound any worse than he already had. Antibiotics and tender loving care from momma, all over one accidental bite. I can't imagine allowing, encouraging even, an animal to sustain massive injuries like these morons do.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I would suggest empathy training...this involves chaining the culprits to a post and letting PETA or maybe just some aggressive prisoners have at 'em. There is a quality...character trait even in humans that find animal torture fun that should NOT be allowed to reproduce. I think they should be used in product training...we can see if certain eyeliners cause blindness on them...maybe future drug trials even....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Karrie, sorry to hear about your cat. Cats and abcesses. They seem to go together...Hope he feels better...being a cone head SUCKS!!!! but can be mildly entertaining to watch if your cat isn't overly sensative.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I would suggest empathy training...this involves chaining the culprits to a post and letting PETA or maybe just some aggressive prisoners have at 'em. There is a quality...character trait even in humans that find animal torture fun that should NOT be allowed to reproduce. I think they should be used in product training...we can see if certain eyeliners cause blindness on them...maybe future drug trials even....

You old softy you. ;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, sorry to hear about your cat. Cats and abcesses. They seem to go together...Hope he feels better...being a cone head SUCKS!!!! but can be mildly entertaining to watch if your cat isn't overly sensative.

He looks like one of those robots that readjusts everytime it bumps into something. He's always been, like many cats, the type to slink along walls rather than walk across an open room. Now, his cone catches on furniture, door trims, dishwashers, etc. he stops, takes a tiny step back, tries again, catches again, turns SLIGHTLY to the side, and makes it around the obstacle, only to catch up on something new 20 steps away. lol. Most amusing to watch. Now he's given up on trying to walk around, and is lying in a scowling ball on top his cat cave, seething hate at the world.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Most amusing to watch. Now he's given up on trying to walk around, and is lying in a scowling ball on top his cat cave, seething hate at the world.
Good to hear he hasn't succumbed to the man'scontraption! lol Poor cat...these sorts of treatments are poison to their pride! He may just have to start is own version of the black panthers...what colour kitty is he?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
He looks like one of those robots that readjusts everytime it bumps into something. He's always been, like many cats, the type to slink along walls rather than walk across an open room. Now, his cone catches on furniture, door trims, dishwashers, etc. he stops, takes a tiny step back, tries again, catches again, turns SLIGHTLY to the side, and makes it around the obstacle, only to catch up on something new 20 steps away. lol. Most amusing to watch. Now he's given up on trying to walk around, and is lying in a scowling ball on top his cat cave, seething hate at the world.

My sister's dog, a Bishon Friese(sp?), tends to enjoy scratching herself to the point where she hurts herself(and all the pills/sprays/etc.) only help somewhat/sometimes. When she got too bad, they would have to place the cone on her head. She was always bumping that cone into everything. She was sure happy to get it off!

I remember once when some @sshole deliberately kicked a hole in their back yard fence(it was wooden) and she got out the hole. She ended up on the other side of a very busy(and I mean busy!) street. A woman driving along saw her pacing back and forth, trying to get back across the street and make her way home. She certainly would have been hit(and probably killed, as she is a small dog) if it wasn't for the kindness of that woman. She pulled her car over and picked up Cuddles(my sister named the dog, not I) and saw my parent's contact information on her collar. She took her home and called my parents. Needless to say they were both happy AND angry. Happy that Cuddles was coming home safe and sound, but pissed off that some jerk would kick a hole in the fence knowing that a dog was there.

My parents gave the woman a well-deserved fruit basket. It was a happy ending, but it just as easily could have turned out horribly. That is the reason for my post. How anyone can find sport in such a cowardly act(dog fighting) is beyond me. He obviously has little to no empathy for life and the only reason he even is making a plea is due to all the evidence against him(plus the fact that all the other co-conspirators are naming him as the ring-leader), and not because he feels a tinge of remorse for the senseless death of all those dogs.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My sister's dog, a Bishon Friese(sp?), tends to enjoy scratching herself to the point where she hurts herself(and all the pills/sprays/etc.)
Sorry if this is just a repeat but...has wheat been removed from the dog's diet?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sorry if this is just a repeat but...has wheat been removed from the dog's diet?

Not sure to be honest. She only eats dry dog food, plus the occasional treat(she really goes apesh!t over those Snausages). I think it is just something that occurs in the breed.

Thanks for the tip, though. I will have to ask them about it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
many small dogs are allergic to wheat..causes rashes...my friends wheaton terrier has a wheat allergy and has the same rash problem. There are some dog foods that contain NO wheat...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good to hear he hasn't succumbed to the man'scontraption! lol Poor cat...these sorts of treatments are poison to their pride! He may just have to start is own version of the black panthers...what colour kitty is he?

He's a grey Tabby cat. Dark grey. He weighs in at 16 lbs (a healthy 16, not an overweight 16). He's a formidable hunter, and loves to wrestle dogs. He doesn't like being held, but will tolerate it for things with a purpose, like holding him down for the rare bath, or carrying him to the car for a vet visit. Get mushy and try to snuggle him though, and you'll have claw marks from him jumping out of your arms.

Pride oozes from his pores in almost everything he does.

He's NOT happy with this at all. lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
many small dogs are allergic to wheat..causes rashes...my friends wheaton terrier has a wheat allergy and has the same rash problem. There are some dog foods that contain NO wheat...

I wonder why that is? I know that if a dog eats chocolate they can die from it(what ingredient in chocolate is so toxic?). I remember once when Cuddles ate a piece of a corn cob(not sure where she got it from) and had to get "fixed up" because of it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
He's a grey Tabby cat. Dark grey. He weighs in at 16 lbs (a healthy 16, not an overweight 16). He's a formidable hunter, and loves to wrestle dogs. He doesn't like being held, but will tolerate it for things with a purpose, like holding him down for the rare bath, or carrying him to the car for a vet visit. Get mushy and try to snuggle him though, and you'll have claw marks from him jumping out of your arms.

Pride oozes from his pores in almost everything he does.

He's NOT happy with this at all. lol.

How old is he? Sorry if this has been mentioned already.