#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good post Twila. Kind of puts the threat of terrorism in perspective doesn't it

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
First, parallels could be drawn with Canada, so we ought not feel too smug about it.

Second, most of us are so innumerate that we couldn't make sense of the above graph, simple and clear as it is.

Third, how many of us would actually change our behaviour based on that information?

Good post, Twila.

Pangloss

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
First, parallels could be drawn with Canada, so we ought not feel too smug about it.

Second, most of us are so innumerate that we couldn't make sense of the above graph, simple and clear as it is.

Third, how many of us would actually change our behaviour based on that information?

Good post, Twila.

Pangloss

A fair comment. We wouldn't as yet anyway have Bin Laden . Our suicides, I believe, would be a lot lower.

The rest might be similar....I'd have to do some research.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Again, excellent post, too bad "perspective" is too expensive to actually get behind

We are at more peril from our actual environment than any of us could ever be from "extremists" of any sort

Odd how the same folks who perpetuate the myth of the "terorists" are the ones who "regulate" many of the true dangers facing us as living organisms on this planet

Tho I'm sure there's lots of folks who think that a single, made-up personage is WAY more dangerous to their sphere than several hundred different sources of inevitable, cellularly-absorbed threats could be

Hell, that graph doesn't even scratch the surface in that context

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are so right mabudon. On a chart that distributes over 9 million deaths, three thousand is all but insignificant......better we worry about second hand smoke.....or measles..

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's a good point you make here, but whats missing is the politician that uses the threat and fear to gain power while all with the exception of homicide, causes are brought upon ourselves more than not.

Eating bad food is a personal choice. Would you stand for me telling you what you can and can not eat for example?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The link in the OP leads to a group who would have us give no resistance to those who oppose our way of life here in the west. Biased to say the least.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
```Odd the same folks who perpetuate the myth of the "terorists" are the ones who "regulate" many of the true dangers facing us as living organisms on this planet```

Excellent comment!

Rupert Murdoch whose pro war media empire did more to promote the treasonous neo-KKKon agenda is also the world's biggest tobacco stock owner. Thus, it is he who is responsible for the death of over 2,000,000 Americans.

Murdoch screams about terrorism but he is the world's biggest terrorist.:angryfire:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Blame blame blame

The same stats were approximately the same pre-9/11.

Comparison to 9/11 is a strange one. A more viable comparison with 9/11 would have been the oft quoted here stats on deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan from our 'invasion' of that nation.

Civilian life hasn't changed that much - people still get sick and die. Population increases - so do the stats.

War doesn't change much in civilian life.

Nor does mankind in war.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yes, it could also pass for Canadian as well.

The link in the OP leads to a group who would have us give no resistance to those who oppose our way of life here in the west. Biased to say the least.

It also provides links to it's sources where you can see the stats for yourself. They didn't make them up arbitarily.
[SIZE=-1]Sources
(1) CNN (read)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
(2) FBI (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](3) National Center for Statistics and Analysis (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](4) Institue of Medicine (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](5) [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]CDC [/SIZE][SIZE=-1](read)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
(6) American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (read)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
(7) American Cancer Society (read)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
(8) National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](9) [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Center for Disease Control (CDC)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1], NCHS Leading Causes of Death (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](10) National Cancer Institute (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](11) CDC, Smoking Attributable Deaths (read)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](12) CDC, Cigarette Smoking-Related Mortality (read)[/SIZE]
Blame blame blame
Really? I felt that it was more of a "be aware" rather then "who's to blame" I certainly didn't mean for it to be a blame game type post. But a hope that those who live in fear of far flung terror might realize that they are more likely to be hit by a bus, or die from poor food choices.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Nothing can remove the threat to Americans posed by a multipolar world.Only full spectrum domination will ease thier troubled mind.Everything's a threat to them and they threaten everything not of or by them. To bad, they had some good ideas. hahaha:lol:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Twila

Really? I felt that it was more of a "be aware" rather then "who's to blame" I certainly didn't mean for it to be a blame game type post. But a hope that those who live in fear of far flung terror might realize that they are more likely to be hit by a bus, or die from poor food choices.

We get enough advice from Canada on a regular basis - what do American death statistics need to 'teach' the people in the U.S. anyway?

They should stop dying? If you want to give good advice - please search for something better than the Pete for Peace gang.... god help us all.... anyway:

What's wrong with writing about Canada here - Canadian news and Canadian people - on a guess what: Canadian forum.

Last edited:

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
You would think so by the war they wage on reefer madness!
America...Land of the free...

Muz

Canada is the biggest threat to America and the American way of whatever. We are the worlds foremost pot smokers.hahaha

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As shown by these statistics, Americans need to cut down on all their fatty, fast food such as McDonald's. It's no wonder you have the highest obesity rate in the world. And Canadians are just as bad when it comes to eating copious amounts of fast food. American food is just terrible.

You need to start living more like the British and Europeans, eating healthier food, spending more time outside and doing a lot more exercise. That also means walking the 100 yards to your neighbours' house across the street, not driving there in the car.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yeah yeah, cancer, smoking etc will kill you, but terrorism MAY kill you. Can't you see the difference?!?!?!!?

It's the uncertainty of it all, a lack of control, power, influence. I saw on 20/20 the other day that the same number of kds are being kidnapped now as 40 years ago yet the fear of kidnapping is off the charts. Go figure, 'cause we can't.

The solution: more hockey more drugs.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We get enough advice from Canada on a regular basis - what do American death statistics need to 'teach' the people in the U.S. anyway?

They should stop dying? If you want to give good advice - please search for something better than the Pete for Peace gang.... god help us all.... anyway:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant by that post...Americans should stop dying. /sarcasm. No, what it means is maybe fear of terrorism should NOT be their biggest concern.

You get enough advice from Canadians, eh? from whom, from where, and when? Maybe I shouldn't point out that the sources this site posted are valid...but that might be over stepping my canadian boundaries eh?