Inmate convicted on indecent exposure charges

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Florida jail inmate convicted of indecent exposure after guard complains

Thu Jul 26, 9:15 AM

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida (AP) - A Florida jail inmate was convicted of indecent exposure after a guard complained that he had masturbated in his cell. A jury took 45 minutes to convict Terry Alexander, 20, of the misdemeanour on Wednesday. The judge sentenced him to 60 days in the county jail. He had faced up to a year.

In November, Broward County Deputy Coryus Veal, who was monitoring Alexander's cell from a centrally located control room, saw him masturbating while he was sitting on his bunk, alone in his cell. She testified that she brought the charge against him the third time he masturbated in view of her.

Veal has brought similar charges against seven other inmates in six months.

The sheriff's office encourages deputies to file criminal charges to discourage masturbating in the county's jails, said Elliot Cohen, an agency spokesman. He said privacy is one of the rights inmate give up in jail.

Kathleen McHugh, Alexander's lawyer, said her client did nothing wrong. She said he was alone in his cell, which was not open to the public.

"I think the government's gone awry," McHugh said. "Has it been a slow year in crime that they've got to go prosecute masturbation in the Broward County Jail?"

During jury selection, McHugh looked at 17 prospective jurors and asked how many among them had never masturbated. No hands were raised.

Alexander was originally brought to jail on an armed robbery case, for which he received a10-year prison sentence.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
OK, that is just disturbing. What possible purpose could this conviction serve other than finding ludicrous ways of increasing the amount of time someone spends in jail? I didn't realize that jail meant you were now of lower legal status than a dog.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe Deputy Coryus Veal should grow up a bit, and maybe the county should grow up and stop wasting the people's money by having jury trials for masturbation. I don't say it was a good idea for young Terry Alexander to maturbate in front of a woman but in the real world this sort of thing goes on. The next time he does it will she bring him back to court and get him another 2 months of jail time?

Anybody else think "Coryus Veal" sounds some kind of roast?.....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I found it more than a little disturbing that inmates are treated like this as well. But, at the same time, they are often sharing these cells. Goodness knows you could always take the extra time on a loo break instead and avoid all these hassles.

Frankly, I just couldn't shake the image of the female warden sitting there watching... creepy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I found it more than a little disturbing that inmates are treated like this as well. But, at the same time, they are often sharing these cells. Goodness knows you could always take the extra time on a loo break instead and avoid all these hassles.

Frankly, I just couldn't shake the image of the female warden sitting there watching... creepy.

Karrie I believe the loo is in the cell. We can only think that it is somehow okay to pee and whatever in front of Deputy Veal but not to masturbate. The more you think of this, the less you want to think about it.....:roll::lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie I believe the loo is in the cell. We can only think that it is somehow okay to pee and whatever in front of Deputy Veal but not to masturbate. The more you think of this, the less you want to think about it.....:roll::lol:

lol. right, I had overlooked that little fact. haven't watched enough prison movies lately I guess. lol.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
This, from the same country that impeaches a president who receives an errant blowjob, and re-elects one who they all know lied to the American people to start a war...is no surprise.

Besides, they took away his rights to privacy, they didn't castrate him.

Muz

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Impetus - You are right, but so what? Are you saying you would report him, like the guard did; that you would charge him, try him and convict him?

It does all seem a little unnecessarily mean-spirited, doesn't it?

Pangloss

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think this says as much about the guard as the prisoner. The guard apparently had no trouble with him using the toilet but had to watch him masturbate. "Mean spirited" is the right term for this action.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
60 days would no doubt be served concurrently with the 10 years so it is unlikely to increase the jail time. Given that, I wonder why the procecutor would bother with it? He/she incurred all the court costs for the jury trial for no net effect.