Premature twins die after dramatic flood rescue in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Premature twins die after dramatic flood rescue

24th July 2007
Daily Mail

A pregnant woman trapped in her home by floodwater gave birth to twin babies who both died, it was revealed today.

She called for help after going into premature labour in Tewkesbury.

A paramedic could not get to her because of the high waters so two Royal Air Force helicopters were sent, according to Gloucestershire Police.

The twins were winched into one helicopter, while the woman was lifted to safety.

All three were taken to Cheltenham Hospital but the twins died. They were premature at 21 weeks.

Rescue: An RAF Sea King helicopter, like the one pictured here over Tewkesbury Gloucestershire, rescued premature twins who later died

They were flown all flown to her home in Tewkesbury to hospital but the twins were later pronounced dead.

The family of the woman, who was 21 weeks pregnant, dialled 999 on Saturday morning and an ambulance was sent but could not get to the house because of floodwater.

The news came as a search got underway for a teenager missing since the height of the floods.

Mitchell Taylor, 19, from Tewkesbury, has not been seen since he left a bar in the deluged Gloucestershire town in the early hours of Saturday.

Officers said they were investigating all possibilities.

Gloucestershire Police spokesman Matt Ford said: "He has been registered as a missing person.

"There are a lot of resources in Tewkesbury at the moment and our officers are aware that he has not been seen."

His mother, Jane Taylor, told the Gloucestershire Echo: "It's not like him to be gone from home so long."

Mrs Taylor said her son was last seen by his brother's girlfriend at 1.30am on Saturday.

A police spokeswoman said: "The RAF were called and a helicopter carrying a highly experienced paramedic was diverted to the scene.

"The mother and babies were taken to Cheltenham General Hospital faster than an ambulance would have been able to do in normal circumstances, where everything possible was done to help them.

Sadly, the babies did not survive."

Flight Lieutenant Douglas Larkam of B Flight, 22 Squadron, said: "She had given birth moments before we arrived. To be winched into a helicopter must have been pretty nerve-racking for her."

It could be two weeks before supplies of tap water are restored to 340,000 people in Gloucestershire in the floods. People living along the Thames are preparing for levels to peak tonight.

dailymail.co.uk

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
At 21 weeks, it wouldn't have mattered if they were in the best hospital in the world unfortunately. Those babies would have died anyways.

Deelawrence

Jan 5, 2014
At 21 weeks, it wouldn't have mattered if they were in the best hospital in the world unfortunately. Those babies would have died anyways.

I was the lady who lost my twins in 2007. Yes they wouldnt have survived but what this article does not state is the three hours I was waiting for an ambulance before when stuck in a vehicle in labour. When called again they told us the ambulance had seen me and said I was ok! This was a lie! So they sent a helicopter, the paramedic told me it was a phantom labour and to go home. I live in gloucester so we was inable to get home due to the floods. We then went to a fried of my mums where I gave birth. Had I got to hospital many hours before there is a chance they could have given a drug to prevebt labour! Also the babies lilly may and leah anne would have been kept warm! They was alive screaming when born butall the odds were out against them! So for future referance please do not share your negative opinions!!!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Does sunlight hurt your eyes?

Any light hurts my eyes after I've been in the dark for a while. And people in Canada in January know full well what it's like to be in the dark for a long time.