Prince set to be Gurkha Harry

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince Harry is to join one of the British Army's most feared regiment - the Gurkhas.

Knife ... how Harry might look as a Gurkha

Prince set to be Gurkha Harry

By JAMIE PYATT
July 09, 2007
The Sun

Fearsome: A British Army Gurkha cleaning his deadly Kukri knife

SOLDIER Prince Harry has joined one of the most fearsome units in the British Army — the Gurkhas.

Harry, an officer with posh cavalry regiment the Blues and Royals, is doing a spell with the legendary fighters to learn their killer expertise.

Yesterday he was driven to the Brecon Beacons in Wales with men of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles for a four-day exercise.

He will take part in every aspect of the operation and an insider said: “To all intents and purposes he will be a Gurkha.”

He joined the tough men from Nepal — who have struck terror into Britain’s enemies for 200 years — looking ready for action kitted out in full camouflage gear.

At the end of the exercise Harry, a 22-year-old 2nd lieutenant whose own unit has gone to Iraq without him because of fears for his safety, will be presented with an honorary kukri — the curved knife of the Gurkhas.

An insider said: “Harry will be told that when the kukri leaves its sheath it can never be returned without blood being drawn.”

Badge ... Gurkhas

thesun.co.uk

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wonder what it would take for a normal enlisted soldier to get that sort of training.... royalty has privileges I guess. In my opinion, they should send Harry to the Falklands to be a sheep herder.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wonder what it would take for a normal enlisted soldier to get that sort of training.... royalty has privileges I guess. In my opinion, they should send Harry to the Falklands to be a sheep herder.

It makes light of those who have to work so hard to get in to that group and what they are asked to do once they are a part of it. Is Harry going anywhere with them? Hell no, he gets a four day fun package and a souvenir to stick on the wall of some castle he visits once in a few years.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It seems to me that deploying him there makes the absolute best sense. Who will be most able to train him well, and protect him in battle? He isn't just a normal person. They need to do all they can to ensure he has every skill possible to stay alive. It would crush the country if he died in combat.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It makes light of those who have to work so hard to get in to that group and what they are asked to do once they are a part of it. Is Harry going anywhere with them? Hell no, he gets a four day fun package and a souvenir to stick on the wall of some castle he visits once in a few years.

Hmm... I'd think that it would be a huge honour for them, that if worst comes to worst, they are the ones who are chosen to fight alongside the royalty. That they are the best of the best, the prince wants to be one of them. That doesn't seem like it necessarily undermines their work at all.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
In my opinion, they should send Harry to the Falklands to be a sheep herder.

LOL now now...we got enough sheep shaggin goin on ...we wouldn't want our...did i say our.....our royality practising wierd sex now would we...
although his dad fantasies about being a tampon....man why anyone wants to be completly inserted in those regions during the period is beyond me.....sheeesh...:p
Hey!!!! would he fit up there anyway...is that what he was trying to tell us...I bet Durka has a pic somewheres....:p

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It seems to me that deploying him there makes the absolute best sense. Who will be most able to train him well, and protect him in battle? He isn't just a normal person. They need to do all they can to ensure he has every skill possible to stay alive. It would crush the country if he died in combat.

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!
why bitch about training and then speculate...He has voiced his wish to serve....lets wait and see....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Why does Harry need to have bodyguards in the battlefield? He chose to join the armed services, he should be able to handle him self.

Harry makes a mockery of what real men do in the British Army, they should save him for riding a horse during parades and other cheeky PR stunts.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why does Harry need to have bodyguards in the battlefield? He chose to join the armed services, he should be able to handle him self.

Harry makes a mockery of what real men do in the British Army, they should save him for riding a horse during parades and other cheeky PR stunts.

Frankly, no matter what he does in the armed forces, serves, doesn't serve, shows up for parades, or not... people will criticise. I say leave him and the army to decide how, where, and when he shuold serve, and what training he should receive.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Frankly, no matter what he does in the armed forces, serves, doesn't serve, shows up for parades, or not... people will criticise. I say leave him and the army to decide how, where, and when he shuold serve, and what training he should receive.

To me, it seems he is receiving this training due to his "Royal Lineage". He is nothing but a liability in any war zone, in my opinion. Being an offspring of the Royals shouldn't give one a skip to the front of the line pass.
Harry should quite the armed forces and go back to seducing women in Alberta.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
To me, it seems he is receiving this training due to his "Royal Lineage". He is nothing but a liability in any war zone, in my opinion. Being an offspring of the Royals shouldn't give one a skip to the front of the line pass.
Harry should quite the armed forces and go back to seducing women in Alberta.

Well Roman emperors rode in to battle, Napolean did the same...it's all part and parcel to this great world we live....Even generals don't exactly go over the top and all that rot ..say what!!!!

don't you have some pic of camilla's nether regions for us....Or am i on back order....again :p

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well Roman emperors rode in to battle, Napolean did the same...it's all part and parcel to this great world we live....Even generals don't exactly go over the top and all that rot ..say what!!!!

don't you have some pic of camilla's nether regions for us....Or am i on back order....again :p

Posting images of Camilla's nether regions would cause most readers to vomit I think. :cool:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Maybe you missed it but they aren't sending him to Iraq with the unit he trained with because of who he is becomes a liability to the unit. If it would crush the country for him to die then the country should be smart enough not to put him directly in the very place he is most likely to be killed.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hmm... I'd think that it would be a huge honour for them, that if worst comes to worst, they are the ones who are chosen to fight alongside the royalty. That they are the best of the best, the prince wants to be one of them. That doesn't seem like it necessarily undermines their work at all.

I disagree. They have a reputation now earned through trial by fire. He isn't going to be one of them. He's only there four day and then gets a honourary kukri. I don't think there is an question that he wouldn't be fighting along side them ever. And should he do so and get killed, so much for them protecting him and their name become the guys that let wee Harry get killed.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Exactly! Not to mention that anyone who can read will know where he's stationed and what his unit is. So that unit become a huge target just because killing him would be a massive mind screw to the Brits.