Edmonton Eskimos with no place To Live

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I have a couple of niefews in Edmonton working as house framers, and they mentioned last time I talked to them that even if you walk up to a builder with a sack full of cash, you still are going to have to wait at least 4 months for a crew. Not to mention that since there is such a shortage of workers available, the workmanship is getting shoddy with some builders.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a couple of niefews in Edmonton working as house framers, and they mentioned last time I talked to them that even if you walk up to a builder with a sack full of cash, you still are going to have to wait at least 4 months for a crew. Not to mention that since there is such a shortage of workers available, the workmanship is getting shoddy with some builders.

That's why, rather than building a new house, we bought an old one and are gutting and redoing it ourselves. Building new wuold ahve taken too long, and you can't trust the quality. This house, on the other hand, has been standing firm for years. It has good bones, and with some new windows, new siding, a new patio, new kitchen, new bathroom, new flooring, it will still be cheaper than if we'd built, not to mention, more sturdy.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007

I'd also be pretty Leary about buying a house in Edmonton built within the last 3 or 4 years. Again, you just don't know who was building it. Allot of the crews are from out of Province with little or no experience and it's pretty easy to hide some major mistakes that might not show up until a few years later. You go into some of the show homes and you can see pretty bad flaws. These are supposed to be the perfect, flawless example of what you will get. When you consider that they are charging 500k for the average house it is even harder to accept shoddy construction.