Uncontacted Indian Tribe found in Brazil

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
These kinds of stories just get my head a-spinning. I imagine what it would be like to be them. To be the first person to speak with them. Truely fascinating stuff (imho)
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/06/01/america/LA-GEN-Brazil-Indians.php

Uncontacted Indian tribe found in Brazil's Amazon

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil: An Indian tribe that has had no formal contact with Western civilization has been located in a remote Amazon region, federal authorities said Friday.
The Metyktire tribe, with about 87 members, was found last week in an area that is difficult to reach because of thick jungle and a lack of nearby rivers some 2,000 kilometers (1,200 miles) northwest of Rio de Janeiro, said Mario Moura, a spokesman for the Federal Indian Bureau, or Funai.
The tribe is a subgroup of the Kayapo tribe, and lives on its 4.9-million-hectare (12.1-million-acre) Menkregnoti Indian reservation, Moura said.
The Kayapo had no significant contact with the Metyktire until two tribe members inexplicably appeared at a Kayapo village last week, he said.
"We don't know why they decided to make contact now ... only time will tell. This is a very slow process," Moura said.

Uncontacted tribes are usually discovered when loggers and ranchers encroach on their territories.
Patrick Cunningham of the London-based Indigenous People's Cultural Support Trust, which is involved in an unrelated expedition in the region, said in an e-mail that the tribe speaks an archaic version of the Kayapo language and goes naked. Like many less-assimilated members of the Kayapo, the men wear penis sheaths and several have plates in their lower lips, he said. The women shave the tops of their heads.
Cunningham, who has not met the tribe, said the Kayapo believe it is was formed by a group of families who fled deeper into the forest when the pioneering Indian defender Orlando Villas Boas appeared in the area in the 1950s.
Megaron Txcucarramae, a Kayapo Indian and Funai representative in the region, met with the newly found group in Kremoro village and banned all but a medical team from entering or leaving, fearing the tribe could be more vulnerable to diseases than the Kayapo, Cunningham said.
Miriam Ross, a campaigner with the indigenous rights group Survival International, estimates there are more than 100 uncontacted tribes across the world.
"This proves that often we just don't know whether these people are there or not," Ross said by telephone from London.
About 700,000 Indians live in Brazil, mostly in the Amazon region. Some 400,000 live on reservations where they try to maintain their traditional culture, language and lifestyle.
Indians were pushed deeper into the jungle by settlers and it is relatively uncommon for the Indian Bureau to come across previously uncontacted native groups. The bureau said that it has learned from other Indians of a few uncontacted tribes in the western Amazon state, where the region's jungle is thickest.
Moura said anthropologists no longer attempt to contact those groups, but instead demarcate the land and wait for them to make contact.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So weird to think of. It's odd enough to think of other humans walking this earth without access to technology due to poverty/war. But to think that there are still whole tribes of people who simply have no clue that there's more out there. Bizarre.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
But bigfoot couldn't possibly exist *wink*

I see a difference in that this tribe apparently consists of a group that fled further into the forest when they were first contacted as part of another tribe or what ever. There has never been a single bone or piece of empirical evidence found on Bigfoot even though they are supposed to live smack dab in the middle of some 300 plus million people who are paranoid about terrorists.

Still we've got these guys and not one Bigfoot added tot he list of known species.

Edited to add, that they will probably suffer an out break of illness now that they have been exposed to the rest of us.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
When I was north, I heard about a group of Inuit near Thule Greenland, who thought they were the only people in the world. They probably moved to the arctic oasis where they were found during a previous warm period. When the world turned cold again, a glacier cut them off from the rest of the world where they existed in isolation for centuries. In the 1800's European explorers discovered them. It had been so many generations without contact, that other humans existed only in their mythology/story-telling, like bigfoot.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
they will probably suffer an out break of illness now that they have been exposed to the rest of us.

like what happened on the 28th of last month here.....just kiddin ya big mamaluke...catches the unfydo napping and leaves my pink tu tu to cover him up all comfydo ...unf gets up and wonders what the black lip marks are on his forhead are... whilst sucking on his dentures for snacks in the mirror.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
When I was north, I heard about a group of Inuit near Thule Greenland, who thought they were the only people in the world. They probably moved to the arctic oasis where they were found during a previous warm period. When the world turned cold again, a glacier cut them off from the rest of the world where they existed in isolation for centuries. In the 1800's European explorers discovered them. It had been so many generations without contact, that other humans existed only in their mythology/story-telling, like bigfoot.

Oh yeah, I've heard about a group of people 300 million or so, who think they are the only people in the world that matter. So there you go. There is also stories of folk who think the aliens are coming back for them and some who talk to dead people and get answers from them, and even a few who think there are little people living behind mushrooms.

That there is clear evidence of crack pots doesn't make any of the rest of it true. Just don't tell them that. ;-)

triedit

inimitable
There is also stories of folk who think the aliens are coming back for them and some who talk to dead people and get answers from them, and even a few who think there are little people living behind mushrooms.

That there is clear evidence of crack pots doesn't make any of the rest of it true. Just don't tell them that. ;-)
And just because you don't believe it then it isn't so?

triedit

inimitable
Nope, because it hasn't been proven by any objective scientific measure. How I feel about it is a belief and has no berring on the truth of the matter.

Interesting. So would you support funding for scientfic study of things like post death communication and aliens? Project Blue Book actually had many unresolved UFO sightings...and the scientific leader of the project ended up believing we were being visited. How do you decide which scientific evidence is valid?

Let's go with something simple. Lets say I have a white pea that grew in my garden. The pea was extensively tested and there was no evidence to explain why it was white and science couldnt duplicate it. Would said pea not exist?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Interesting. So would you support funding for scientfic study of things like post death communication and aliens? Project Blue Book actually had many unresolved UFO sightings...and the scientific leader of the project ended up believing we were being visited. How do you decide which scientific evidence is valid?

Let's go with something simple. Lets say I have a white pea that grew in my garden. The pea was extensively tested and there was no evidence to explain why it was white and science couldnt duplicate it. Would said pea not exist?

I would not support any governmental funding but if you as a private citizen choose to leave the accumulated wealth upon your demise, I couldn't care less.

It's called a proof. You make the claim that using these herbs you can cure leukaemia. In the lab, under controlled conditions, that claim can be repeated over and over and over again with the same result. That result is then examined for exactly why this is so and described. Results are independently verified using the scientific method and a proof is written describing how and why this is so, so that anyone with the ability can produce the exact results themselves.

Once that's done, it's done.

Well you claim the pea grew in your garden. But you can't prove that it in fact grew in your garden because you can't grow another. And so there is nothing to prove other than you have in fact made the claim that can not be verified.

No the white pea doesn't exist because there is no way to prove it is in fact a white pea. Or according to you, anything at all.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh yeah, I've heard about a group of people 300 million or so, who think they are the only people in the world that matter. So there you go. There is also stories of folk who think the aliens are coming back for them and some who talk to dead people and get answers from them, and even a few who think there are little people living behind mushrooms.

? I'm confused. Earth as One's post appeared to be in regards to the OP.... yet, you're telling him to not believe it. Which should not be believed... the OP, or Earth as One's post?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
? I'm confused. Earth as One's post appeared to be in regards to the OP.... yet, you're telling him to not believe it. Which should not be believed... the OP, or Earth as One's post?

OP? Please define this, it's escaped me for the moment. :-?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
OP? Please define this, it's escaped me for the moment. :-?

Ack, my sincerest apologies. I loathe when people speak in acronyms and assume you'll know. *sigh* Yes, I have to admit it... I loathe myself now. Sheesh.

OP can mean opening post, or original poster, depending who you are talking to, but it essentially means the same thing.