Overinflated Loonie?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Bank of Canada governor says C$ may be overinflated but hints at rate hike

1 hour, 21 minutes ago

OTTAWA (CP) - Bank of Canada governor David Dodge has taken the unusual step of weighing in on the surging Canadian dollar, suggesting that the loonie may be higher than economic factors warrant.

However, Dodge also said Wednesday he may have to raise interest rates in July to bring down inflation. Higher interest rates would tend to further increase the value of the currency.

Dodge said in a speech prepared for a business luncheon in St. John's, N.L., that the loonie has been significantly stronger against the U.S. dollar than other major world currencies.

He said many of the reasons are apparent - the strength of the Canadian economy, high commodity prices and heavy demand for Canadian goods and services - but these do not explain all of the currency's increase.

"The overall response of the Canadian dollar to these factors appears to have been stronger than historical experience would have suggested," he said.

The speech may be an attempt by the central banker to cool the hot currency, which has topped 94 cents US this month, up from under 90 cents a year ago.

Some economists predict it will reach parity with the greenback by the end of the year.

The strong dollar has been cited by manufacturers as a key cause of the slump in the sector and the loss of factory jobs in Ontario and Quebec.

Still, Dodge used the St. John's speech to again warn that he may soon have to raise interest rates.

Dodge said the economy has overshot expectations in the first quarter of the year, and there is an increased risk that inflation will remain higher than the bank's two per cent target.

He said the world economy has performed much as forecast but the Canadian economy "has come in stronger than we had been expecting."

"Indeed, the national accounts indicated that the Canadian economy grew by 3.7 per cent in the first quarter of this year - more than a full percentage point higher that we projected in the April report."

Repeating language he used in May, when he kept the bank's overnight target rate at 4.25 per cent, Dodge said: "Some increase in the target for the overnight rate may be required in the near term to bring inflation back to the target."

The overnight target rate has remained at 4.25 per cent for over a year.

Dodge's main focus of his speech was the aging boomer generation, saying that as more Canadians retire the economy's ability to grow will slow down.

He said that up till now, labour growth has contributed about 1.25 per cent to annual growth of gross domestic product. But he said that on current trends, labour input will actually decline by about one per cent in 2010 and continue to fall after that.

This means Canadians will have to get used to slower growth, he said.

To address this problem, Dodge said Canada needs to increase its productivity and governments must ease labour mobility and remove barriers for older Canadians who want to keep working.
"We should minimize constraints on labour mobility and participation," he said. "Second, we should concentrate on increasing productivity, so that we can have sustainable economic growth and rising standards of living in the future."

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I heard about another study that most book sellers, car dealers, and other importers are not adjusting the C$ prices to match the reduced costs they have for the mechandise, instead pocketing the profit. I think this would certainly cause some inflationary concerns. With that attitude, there has never has there been a better time to buy from a retailer in the States. Bypass the Canadian crook.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The Canadian dollar is only as high as it is because I now work in the US and make US dollars. It is a conspiracy to keep me from making any money off the exchange when I deposit money into my Canadian accounts...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Canadian dollar is only as high as it is because I now work in the US and make US dollars. It is a conspiracy to keep me from making any money off the exchange when I deposit money into my Canadian accounts...

damn 'the man' for trying to keep you down!!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
My mortgage is up for renewal in 2008, they will have things all jacked up by then I'm sure. My wife will say, we should lock in for 5 yrs. it's more secure. Ya more secure for the damn bank. Open mortgage for me next time.:x

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The exchange rate was equal at the Calgary airport shops last weekend. I know they aren't quite equal yet, but it was a shock. I've never seen an equal rate before, in fact places where I've worked didn't even have the $1.00 option to show on the sliding wheel thing.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
The exchange rate was equal at the Calgary airport shops last weekend. I know they aren't quite equal yet, but it was a shock. I've never seen an equal rate before, in fact places where I've worked didn't even have the $1.00 option to show on the sliding wheel thing.
wow...so what you saying we are pessismistic at heart as a country....LOL

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Amazing. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. $1.04 is the highest I remember at the beer store. LOL

P.S. How's the summer job going Tonn?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
damn 'the man' for trying to keep you down!!

:lol: Amen to that!! He's such a bad man.

I seriously want to buy a small place back in BC in the next year or two, but it's a lot less attractive when I don't get the benefit of any extra exchange money. I guess I shouldn't complain when I look at the price of housing down here, but still... I really wanted an extra thousand or two. I'm gonna keep my savings here until then and hope that the Canadian dollar goes down a little bit before I'm ready to buy.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
:lol: Amen to that!! He's such a bad man.

I seriously want to buy a small place back in BC in the next year or two, but it's a lot less attractive when I don't get the benefit of any extra exchange money. I guess I shouldn't complain when I look at the price of housing down here, but still... I really wanted an extra thousand or two. I'm gonna keep my savings here until then and hope that the Canadian dollar goes down a little bit before I'm ready to buy.

Oh, what a lovely idea. Where were you thinking of buying?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Oh, what a lovely idea. Where were you thinking of buying?

Probably in Kamloops. I mostly grew up there and my parents and a lot of friends still live there, so it's where I go "home" when I go back to Canada (even though I haven't lived there in almost 10 years). It's a nice smallish city with a reasonable climate and housing prices aren't insane like in Vancouver and Toronto.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
We don't have nearly the debt load (or so I understand) that other Western countries do, we are demographically a fairly young country and fairly well educated, we are stinkin' rich with non-renewable resources that we are letting go at fire sale prices. . .

Yeah, our loonie will climb.

Pangloss