Michael Moore's Sicko gets audience thumbs-up at Cannes

#juan
Michael Moore's Sicko gets audience thumbs-up at Cannes
Last Updated: Saturday, May 19, 2007 | 3:44 PM ET
CBC Arts

The premiere of Sicko, Michael Moore's scathing documentary about the U.S. health-care system, received enthusiastic applause from an audience packing the 2,000-seat theatre at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday.

Moore's controversial movie doesn't open until late June, but was screened Saturday at the French festival.

Filmmaker Michael Moore, seen here in 2005, visited Cuba with several Ground Zero rescue workers and got them medical care in his new documentary, Sicko.Filmmaker Michael Moore, seen here in 2005, visited Cuba with several Ground Zero rescue workers and got them medical care in his new documentary, Sicko.
(Canadian Press)

Variety magazine calls Sicko an "entertaining and affecting dissection of the American health-care industry," and Stephen Schaefer of the Boston Globe wrote Sicko is "a very strong and very honest documentary about a health system that's totally corrupt and that is without any care for its patients."

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/20...nes-sicko.html

MikeyDB
Greetings Juan...

Even if Mikey Moore was or is a writer/pesonality that's massaged info to build his tirade against the American psychopathy living in the Whitehouse, there are significant issues in America...as there are in Canada...that need to have the scab removed to permit the healing process to begin again...

If you've ever watched comedians presenting their criticisms of the Bush government..from John Stuart and Jay Leno, their methodology invites dismissal through humor while the real damage and destruction brought down on American people's freedoms and rights continues. The Mercer report on the Canadian side of the border does a similar thing....

As the protagonist in "Stranger in a Strange Land" said, "Human beings laugh because the alternative is to cry out in anger and frustration....humor allows them to get on with the business of living their lives..." (viciously paraphrased...)

While Punch and many humorist publications of years gone by....Pogo...."I've seen the enemy and he is us"....deliver a much needed sobering sobriquet to near catastrophe, Michael Moore is in my opinion simply too close...emotionally to the issues. Either that or he's an accomplished showman with the ability to honor the time-honored American philosophy that encourages making a buck on everything from death and destruction to lies and misinformation.

#juan
Mikey, at least you didn't call him "fat".

The man makes documentaries that look into a number of issues that obviously need to be looked into. I suppose he could show his films and give away his books for nothing but would that help anything. I can't blame the guy because his books and movies make money I've read most of his books and have seen three of his movies. While he uses a bit of poetic license here and there, I don't think his work can be called lies. I will have to see this latest effort before passing judgement. My guess is that Moore will be locked up for visiting Cuba

Zzarchov
Or he'll stay in Canuckistan for awhile.

Toro
I lost a lot of respect for the Cannes jury when they awarded Moore a Palm D'Or for Fahrenheit 9/11. The film was boring.

MikeyDB
Toro

Ya gotta admire the depth of thought that went into the title though....

Toro
Oh, I quite like Michael Moore. When he's on, he's one of the funniest men in America. He is brilliant at framing a situation to satirize it and make his point.

His first TV Show, TV Nation, was brilliant.

earth_as_one
I'm also a Michael Moore fan. Sounds hilarious and sad at the same time.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Mikey, at least you didn't call him "fat".

The man makes documentaries that look into a number of issues that obviously need to be looked into. I suppose he could show his films and give away his books for nothing but would that help anything. I can't blame the guy because his books and movies make money I've read most of his books and have seen three of his movies. While he uses a bit of poetic license here and there, I don't think his work can be called lies. I will have to see this latest effort before passing judgement. My guess is that Moore will be locked up for visiting Cuba

Unfortunately, Michael Moore does not make "documentaries". His films are chock full of scripted lies, the man is useless.

The American medical system is well deserving of criticism.....but MM (Micky Mouse? ) has totally discredited himself......and only the artsy, brain-dead twits at Cannes, or lefties of the same ilk, would give him the time of day.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Unfortunately, Michael Moore does not make "documentaries". His films are chock full of scripted lies, the man is useless. I wouldn't say the man is useless. I know that "Bowling for Columbine" likely stepped on your toes but he did bring up things that needed to be brought up.

The American medical system is well deserving of criticism.....but MM (Micky Mouse? ) has totally discredited himself......and only the artsy, brain-dead twits at Cannes, or lefties of the same ilk, would give him the time of day.

Millions of people buy Moore's books and I'm sure they will buy his latest as well. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and I will read his book and I will eventually see his documentary. Everyone is free to disagree, and I might disagree as well, but unlike you, not before I read the book or see the movies.