At work, the French complain most, and Canadians are the laziest

Blackleaf
Brits among world's worst whingers at work

Sunday, May 13, 2007
The Metro

A survey shows that the French and the British are amongst the worst complainers at work. It also shows that American and British workers are the richest - and the Canadians are the laziest, working less hours than even the French and German.

If you love telling people how much you hate your job, you are in good company – Britons are among the worst workplace whingers.

On the subject of wages and working hours, British employees come second only to the French in terms of unhappiness.

In a complex formula, they were joined in second place by the Swedes, the poll of 14,000 workers in 23 countries showed.

One in three Britons said they did not get enough holidays, while one in five complained about the trials of commuting.

Forty per cent of Britons said they were unsatisfied with their pay, compared with 15 per cent in Ireland.

Charlotte Cornish, managing director of researcher FDS, said: 'After the French, British employees are the most likely to be dissatisfied with their work situation, despite their relative good fortune.

'After French, British and Swedish workers, the toughest to satisfy were Americans, despite having high wages and a lower cost of living.

'Compare them to Thai workers. While real levels of income are more than eight times higher in the States, more workers in the US feel their pay is a problem than in Thailand.'

He added: 'Britain and US both appear towards the top of the world's list of whingiest workers.

'The French come out on top. It seems unlikely that Nicolas Sarkozy's election and the likely shift to more Anglo-Saxon economic practices will make workers in France any happier.'

The least whinging workers were in Holland, the study found.

metro.co.uk

DurkaDurka
Canadians work an average of 31.9 hours per week? I wish I only worked that many hours a week.

eh1eh
That seems to be the average income of a two income house hold, not the aveage Canadain's income.

#juan
The accepted minimum work week in Canada is 37.5 hours and that is standard across the country. Methinks Blackleaf has got his info twisted yet again.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

The accepted minimum work week in Canada is 37.5 hours and that is standard across the country. Methinks Blackleaf has got his info twisted yet again.

I agree. I work exactly 37.5 a week. Blackleafs numbers would indicate that Canadians work an average of 6 hours and change a day? Not bloody likely.

Does Blackleaf post this crap just to piss people off?

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I agree. I work exactly 37.5 a week. Blackleafs numbers would indicate that Canadians work an average of 6 hours and change a day? Not bloody likely.

Does Blackleaf post this crap just to piss people off?

His facts do come from a tabloid.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

True enough. Is Blackleaf even a person or is he one of those scripts like CBC & CTV which posts article headers here?

Twila
Complain about work? Isn't that why they call it work? cause it's not any fun?

DurkaDurka
I love complaining about work, it gets me through Mondays.

eh1eh

True enough. Is Blackleaf even a person or is he one of those scripts like CBC & CTV which posts article headers here?

My theory is he is a real dude, I've seen his posts elsewhere under different nics, but it's him. He seems to work for a publisher or the like. Awful lot of work to post all these interesting things with no reward. Either that or he's retired and bored out of his skull.

Phil B

I love complaining about work, it gets me through Mondays.

Whats wrong with complaining about work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as well?

Phil B
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

There is not quite the differential between physical sizes of pages in the uk anymore as several of the established papers - The Times for example go to print in a tabloid size, for ease of use by commuters.
The metro is a freebie London paper designed to be read in 20 minutes on the tube in the morning by people half asleep.

#juan
whingers......??? Is that British for Whangers?....

Josephine
They're calling us Lazy? I wouldn't mind working 31 hours a week!

Phil B...there is nothing wrong with complaining about work ANY day of the week...except for maybe Friday...that's when you start bitching that the weather better be good over the weekend!!!

folcar
31.9 hours ????? I gotta find me one them jobs!!!!! Because according to those stats i'm working way to much and need a raise!

Phil B

Too late at night for me with that one Fella.

Zzarchov
31.9 is average.

Our laws mean it is cheaper for companies to hire many part time workers than a full time worker, as they pay less to the government.

Thus many people end up working two part time jobs. So even if they work for more than 40 hours a week, their average is less (as both their jobs are less than 30 hours a week)

Walter
No wonder everyone wants to get a green card; the Yanks make a lot of money.

Twila
Quote:

Our laws mean it is cheaper for companies to hire many part time workers than a full time worker, as they pay less to the government.

Not less to the gov't. But less for benefits. Ie extended medical.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Not less to the gov't. But less for benefits. Ie extended medical.

We are talking about the crooked food service industry among others who limit the hours so that they don't have to pay benefits like healthcare, and group insurance, etc. The high staff turnover at these places is necessary so the employers don't have to pay benefits. These sleazy methods are employed by virtually all the fast food outlets.

MikeyDB
Not too sure what you're arguing here Juan...

Do you really think the farmer who's raised the steer your steak came from gets the lions share of the twelve dollars a pound someone collects for that steak dinner at the restaurant?

Do you think that the natural ugliness of women is the genesis behind the multi-billion dollar cosmetis industry? Does anyone really believe that our civilization hasn't been entirely and completely consumed by the greed of the wealthy?

It's all a joke and finding some sliver of some rationale somewhere that might serve to ameliorate the pangs of conscience that arise when injustice is embraced by Canadian and American consumers is laughable....

gc

Canadians work an average of 31.9 hours per week? I wish I only worked that many hours a week.

No kidding. I work about 60...then again I enjoy what I do.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Not too sure what you're arguing here Juan...

Do you really think the farmer who's raised the steer your steak came from gets the lions share of the twelve dollars a pound someone collects for that steak dinner at the restaurant?

Do you think that the natural ugliness of women is the genesis behind the multi-billion dollar cosmetis industry? Does anyone really believe that our civilization hasn't been entirely and completely consumed by the greed of the wealthy?

It's all a joke and finding some sliver of some rationale somewhere that might serve to ameliorate the pangs of conscience that arise when injustice is embraced by Canadian and American consumers is laughable....

If you read far enough back in this topic, you will find a statement by Blackleaf that Canadians only work a little over thirty one hours a week. I suggested that the normal work week in Canada was thirty seven and a half hours.........except for the food service people who shorten the hours so as not to have to pay benefits. I wasn't talking about farmers or cows.....

Twila
Quote:

I work about 60...then again I enjoy what I do.

Hold up!!! then what you do isn't work! Your one of the fortunate ones.

Juan, what about the Mom and Pop restaurant who only wants to survive and therefore can't afford to provide benefits to it's employees?

Dixie Cup
I doubt that, even if "fast food outlets" had individuals who worked full time (and they do, actually) that they were "obligated" to provide benefits. No where do I know of a law that "makes" companies provide benefits. It's generally just good business practices to ensure that businesses can attract and keep good workers. The exception would be union whereby the contracts made between the union and the business would include benefits.

JMO

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Hold up!!! then what you do isn't work! Your one of the fortunate ones.

Juan, what about the Mom and Pop restaurant who only wants to survive and therefore can't afford to provide benefits to it's employees?

Hi Twila
Not all, but a lot of companies have group insurance plans, group health plans, Pension plans, that they make available to permanent employees. Part time employees don't participate in these programs. Over the years, some companies, mainly fast food outlets, have increased the percentage of part time employees so save money since the employer contributes to a lot of these plans.

I think it is only reasonable that employers make these plans available to their employees. As far as "Mom and Pop" operations go, I don't know. If Mom and Pop are hiring people, they are no longer a Mom and Pop operation.....I don't know where the line should be drawn.

cortex
I think Blackleaf is right about this one--the Europeans put in a lot more hours than we do---although 37.5 hours is standard here-- ive never worked in an environment where more than say--5 hours of PRODUCTIVE work was done per day.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by Phil BView Post

There is not quite the differential between physical sizes of pages in the uk anymore as several of the established papers - The Times for example go to print in a tabloid size, for ease of use by commuters.
The metro is a freebie London paper designed to be read in 20 minutes on the tube in the morning by people half asleep.

Thought I'd clairify. The size of the paper is not relevant anymore. What I should have said was 'newspaper' as IMO they have all become rags full of fluff.

Toro

I wish he'd speak American.