At work, the French complain most, and Canadians are the laziest

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Brits among world's worst whingers at work

Sunday, May 13, 2007
The Metro

A survey shows that the French and the British are amongst the worst complainers at work. It also shows that American and British workers are the richest - and the Canadians are the laziest, working less hours than even the French and German.

If you love telling people how much you hate your job, you are in good company – Britons are among the worst workplace whingers.

On the subject of wages and working hours, British employees come second only to the French in terms of unhappiness.

In a complex formula, they were joined in second place by the Swedes, the poll of 14,000 workers in 23 countries showed.

One in three Britons said they did not get enough holidays, while one in five complained about the trials of commuting.

Forty per cent of Britons said they were unsatisfied with their pay, compared with 15 per cent in Ireland.

Charlotte Cornish, managing director of researcher FDS, said: 'After the French, British employees are the most likely to be dissatisfied with their work situation, despite their relative good fortune.

'After French, British and Swedish workers, the toughest to satisfy were Americans, despite having high wages and a lower cost of living.

'Compare them to Thai workers. While real levels of income are more than eight times higher in the States, more workers in the US feel their pay is a problem than in Thailand.'

He added: 'Britain and US both appear towards the top of the world's list of whingiest workers.

'The French come out on top. It seems unlikely that Nicolas Sarkozy's election and the likely shift to more Anglo-Saxon economic practices will make workers in France any happier.'

The least whinging workers were in Holland, the study found.

metro.co.uk

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The accepted minimum work week in Canada is 37.5 hours and that is standard across the country. Methinks Blackleaf has got his info twisted yet again.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The accepted minimum work week in Canada is 37.5 hours and that is standard across the country. Methinks Blackleaf has got his info twisted yet again.

I agree. I work exactly 37.5 a week. Blackleafs numbers would indicate that Canadians work an average of 6 hours and change a day? Not bloody likely.

Does Blackleaf post this crap just to piss people off?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Complain about work? Isn't that why they call it work? cause it's not any fun?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
True enough. Is Blackleaf even a person or is he one of those scripts like CBC & CTV which posts article headers here? :?:

My theory is he is a real dude, I've seen his posts elsewhere under different nics, but it's him. He seems to work for a publisher or the like. Awful lot of work to post all these interesting things with no reward. Either that or he's retired and bored out of his skull.;-)

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
His facts do come from a tabloid.

There is not quite the differential between physical sizes of pages in the uk anymore as several of the established papers - The Times for example go to print in a tabloid size, for ease of use by commuters.
The metro is a freebie London paper designed to be read in 20 minutes on the tube in the morning by people half asleep.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
whingers......??? Is that British for Whangers?....:smile:;-)

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
They're calling us Lazy? I wouldn't mind working 31 hours a week!;-)

Phil B...there is nothing wrong with complaining about work ANY day of the week...except for maybe Friday...that's when you start bitching that the weather better be good over the weekend!!!:lol:

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
31.9 hours ????? I gotta find me one them jobs!!!!! 8O Because according to those stats i'm working way to much and need a raise!8O

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
31.9 is average.

Our laws mean it is cheaper for companies to hire many part time workers than a full time worker, as they pay less to the government.

Thus many people end up working two part time jobs. So even if they work for more than 40 hours a week, their average is less (as both their jobs are less than 30 hours a week)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
No wonder everyone wants to get a green card; the Yanks make a lot of money.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Our laws mean it is cheaper for companies to hire many part time workers than a full time worker, as they pay less to the government.
Not less to the gov't. But less for benefits. Ie extended medical.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not less to the gov't. But less for benefits. Ie extended medical.

We are talking about the crooked food service industry among others who limit the hours so that they don't have to pay benefits like healthcare, and group insurance, etc. The high staff turnover at these places is necessary so the employers don't have to pay benefits. These sleazy methods are employed by virtually all the fast food outlets.